My freind jsut gave me a ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 TOP edition 8GB GDDR5

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know anything about them or how they compare to today's cards, but it's a good upgrade (I hope) from my Power Color AMD 7950 (2012)?

Only down side is that it is a downgrade as far as power goes. That thing takes 220 watts wide open.

Anyone have any thoughts on my new, free card?

BIG improvement over what you're running. Not going to compare well to todays $300ish cards, but perfectly powerful enough for most games at 1080 and medium to high settings.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-HD-7950/3923vs2160

That has some amount of information. The RX 580 should be twice as fast. It's a direct, sizable upgrade.

In terms of power consumption, they should be similar. The RX 580 takes a 8pin power connector (150w-225w total), and your 7950 takes two 6pin power connectors (150w-225w total)
Yep, I was just looking at the power, so good news, I mean, as good as it can be for a power sucking vid card--lol.

One thing is good; I can now find a sleeved cable for it because it doesn't requiere that idiotic two plug 6 pin config. I just need one cable now. I wonder if the LED lighting will work with my Gig board?

Last edited:
Good card. I have a Red Devil RX580. I love it alone for the back plate on this card.
I hope it fits. It's going to be close. If I can ask, it takes up three expansion slots, but is the last slot it takes only an extension, or does it extend the entire card width? Specs say the card is 2" wide. If it takes the entire 3 slots all the way back, that would leave me about 1/8" for the bottom case fans.

Does anyone know if the RGB is going to work on a NON ASUS MB?

Last edited:
I think you can use the Asus Aura software for just the GPU, if you have a mobo that uses another RGB software that may work too.

Good. Sounds lie more LED Software hell. :)

Often the LEDs are on their own power connector so just disconnecting that will disable them. Just to be specific here I mean a header on the PCB not the 6-8pin power connectors.

Often the LEDs are on their own power connector so just disconnecting that will disable them. Just to be specific here I mean a header on the PCB not the 6-8pin power connectors.
I want the LEDs to work. I somehow got myself into the challenge of building a clean, syncable, one control unicorn vomit rig, so yeah, gotta have em. I just want to control them through the Gigagbyte UEFI or software. I'm already having to run G SKill's RAM software and Gigabytes' pile of corn and peanut filled shit heap LED software they call "Fusion" to get all the LEDs to work properly. They should have called it S.H.I.T. (Shiny Lights In Theory).

I want the LEDs to work. I somehow got myself into the challenge of building a clean, syncable, one control unicorn vomit rig, so yeah, gotta have em. I just want to control them through the Gigagbyte UEFI or software. I'm already having to run G SKill's RAM software and Gigabytes' pile of corn and peanut filled shit heap LED software they call "Fusion" to get all the LEDs to work properly. They should have called it S.H.I.T. (Shiny Lights In Theory).

Couldn't agree more. I hate those mobo programs and don't install them unless I absolutely have to. gl!

Back