My first X99 build ... DDR4 question

dvsman

2[H]4U
OK I'm hoping you guys can enlighten me / help me out on this.

Originally, I got my hands on some DDR4 (GSkill 3200) that was on sale on Jet.com figuring DDR4 = DDR4. Not being able to get it to boot at all, I look closer and see that it's x100 chipset DDR4 ... which I am now guessing is not compatible with X99 chipset DDR4.

Am I right in this? I need to get X99 specific DDR4? i.e. newer ram is not necessarily better in this case?

I see that there is a voltage difference also, which might explain the issue but that's just a guess. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What is the voltage difference you noticed?

Try booting with just 1 stick first in the right slot.

Also, what density RAM / stick are you using?

Well, RAM should be 'just RAM' but I'm sure some 6-and-8-core i7 5000 series chips have trouble running over 2400 Mhz RAM.

The ram I happen to have in hand is GSkill Ripjaw V as well as Corsair Vengeance LPX - both are DDR4 1.35v. But after some reading it seems that X99 needs 1.2v DDR4???

I've swapped mobos, cpus, psus - with the 2 types of ram being the only constant (1 DIMM at a time to test of course).

The ram I happen to have in hand is GSkill Ripjaw V as well as Corsair Vengeance LPX - both are DDR4 1.35v. But after some reading it seems that X99 needs 1.2v DDR4???

I've swapped mobos, cpus, psus - with the 2 types of ram being the only constant (1 DIMM at a time to test of course).
What is the capacity of each module? Some X99 boards require a BIOS update to handle 16GB modules, as these didn't exist when X99 first appeared.

They were all 16gb sticks. I had 4x 16gb Ripjaw Vs and 2x Vengeance LPXs. I have one stick of Crucial Ballistic Sport LT coming in (1.2v) for testing which I'm hoping will be my way out.

Either way I'm going to keep the 4x 16gb Ripjaws for a future 170 or newer build down the road, so it's not entirely a loss but my 'toys fund' is empty for a while (No new fog lights for my subie!)

When you get the new stick, check for a BIOS update, and then try your 16GB ones again. I have a Gigabyte X99 board that had a BIOS update available that listed support for 16GB memory modules as one of its changes. I haven't tested whether it adds support for that, as I can't imagine what I'd use 64GB of memory for, but this was apparently an issue for Gigabyte.

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot when it gets here sometime next week.

Back