My first watercooling loop (Not the usual, I suspect)

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by RogueTadhg, Feb 11, 2019.

1. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

IMG_4458_zpsaiiuipnu.jpg
    This is my first loop, It's an external setup. I was going for something like Koolance's "ERM-3K3UA". 2x 560 Rads paired with Noctura NF14s.

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Now that's a healthy amount of radiator. I like it.

I toyed with the idea of doing an external radiator setup for mine when I built it, but in the end I kept it internal.

In my personal experience, there is no such thing as too much radiator. The more radiator capacity, the slower and quieter you can run your fans!

For a while Phobya made a 1260 radiator (essentially three 420's together in a square shape, so 9x 140mm fan slots.

I toyed with the idea of using one of those externally. Phobya doesn't have the best of reputations though.

3. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I was going to add 2 more of these radiators. But Ultimately settled on 2 (for now) and see how things go. I'd rather have more cooling instead of "meh". I've been looking for a solid Caselabs-like case (Corsairs WP200 fits the bill, btw) but I've also remembered what it was like to move my large tower before my current case.

I'm trying to figure out a way to house or interconnect the radiators. I was toying with an idea of a frame made from aluminum but can't find anyone with a welder. Then was going to try to bracket to do it but haven't decided how.

Wade88 likes this.
  4. Zarathustra[H]

In most hardware stores they sell things called "mending plates" in various sizes. You might be able to buy those and drill your own holes if needed to attach everything together.

I mean, the radiators come with their own screw holes, so that shouldn't be too difficult right? They might even be thin enough to fit in between the fans and the radiator. Not sure though.

5. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Drilled 4 holes for pass-throughs. I only have 2 pass-through fixtures at the moment but plan on buying more. I'd like to make it that the CPU and the GPU have different entrances/exits for ease of maintenance. Say, If I need to work on the GPU, I won't need to bother with the CPU portion at all. I'll be using quick disconnects as well to make things much more easier.
    IMG_4464_zpsarpmchjd.jpg

Testing motherboard control of 8 140 Noctura Industrial fans PWM (Next two):
    IMG_4460_zps4kbsewhg.jpg
    IMG_4463_zps1u4oebs8.jpg
    It works! Using the lone PSU to supply power, the little Silverstone hub controls them all via motherboard. Now what to do about all those wires... Also showing, the pump brackets ghetto rigged to hold the reservoir with support.
    IMG_4465_zps9rwzgsya.jpg
    I'm trying to get all the cables to be wired up as these fans have clearly showed me that they'll chew right through wires if given a chance but I'm having issues with the wiring being too thick. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to route the wiring. I even tossed around the idea of using another 560 radiator as a spacer to allow the wires to be routed where more fans would go...

Also, that video card block doesn't come with a I/O shield. But It's in my third shipment from EK, amoung other stuff that i'll need to continue.

I'd like to run my loop for about a week, with some way of filtering out any junk from my radiators. Is there a way I can make a catch for all this liquid, maybe pour it into a large bucket with another hose sucking from the other end of the bucket. With all the heavy particles and any oil would be left out of the fresh water. I used CLR when I first got these rads. But since I only had a few fittings and a little bit of tubing it was a complete mess and horrible to clean up.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Wade88 and alxlwson like this.
  6. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Update: Gone ahead and returned these rads. These are good rads, but if I'm going to build a external radiator setup, I might as well go all in. I've purchased three Nexxos Monsta 560s from Alphacool. It's overkill, I hope! Bought more fittings. Got rid of some boxes and a lot of small plastic bags. It's nice to reclaim some of my work space.

Some things that I wasn't really told about building a watercooling loop:
    1. Prepare to return products. Save everything. All screws.
    2. Plan to drain your loop. I've seen a lot of logs build nice loops but no way of draining. I can't imagine the headache that causes.
    3. Plan for maintenance. Change out your GPU? What about future hardware builds?

Measurements:
    1. G1/4 is a standard pre-fitting socket.
    2. 10/13mm seems to be the most popular. I originally wanted and planned for a different size and was unable to find a lot of things so I settled on this size.
    3. ID / OD mm. First number: Inner diameter. Second Number: Outer Diameter. The "ID" number seems more important for measurements but I can see "OD" for doing modifications.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 12:31 AM
    Wade88 and Hakaba like this.
  7. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Oh man, you should have asked here first, thinner is definitely better when it comes to rads. Thicker means you need higher static pressure to get air through it, and no matter what, more noise, even at the same fan speeds. If anything you should have gone for more surface area, add another rad instead...

Check out both my builds, both have drain ports.

8. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not really worried about noise or the such. My PC isn't close to my monitor and I use close-back headphones. I'm also using Noctura Industrials for the fans.

9. Zarathustra[H]

I agree that radiator area trumps thickness, bu there is more to static pressure than just thickness. There are some pretty thick radiators out there that get good airflow through them due to low fin density.

Wade88 likes this.
  10. Zarathustra[H]

My bad, I feel like I should have mentioned this. I did the same when I built my first loop.

Are you in Europe? 10/13mm is definitely the most popular tubing size for water cooling builds over there, but here in the U.S. the most popular tubing size is probably 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD. It's can actually be tough to find mm sized fittings and tubes over here, depending on what you are looking for.

11. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

It's quite fun. But it definitely takes a while to do a loop properly. A lot of work that I didn't understand going in. The payoff of better temps will be worth it.

Nah. But it seems like every watercooling company is overseas so mm is what I went by. I tried some amazon sellers though for quicker shipping but limit stock pulled me over to their home stores.

I also went with the Monsta rads because, from what I read they're top-quality radiators that provided really good cooling. That and they have a few features that I noticed that I'd really like in my loop. Drain ports, for example. I don't really have experience with rads so I went off by other people's experiences and such with Alphacool/Aquatuning.

12. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

I've kept my eye on radiator benchmarks for years and the one thing I have noticed over time is that there is only a few degrees difference between best and worst, even with a large variance in fin density. I also just assumed thicker=better for a long time until I went for the thickest possible for my Enthoo Elite build, but discovered that it made shit all difference to temps when I built my TJ07 with the thinnest available. What I got was a much cooler and quieter system with thinner radiators and less surface area. I'm comparing apples an oranges though (dual GPU 8 cores vs single GPU with 4 cores). Still, I was totally surprised about just how drastic the difference was, especially in noise levels.

13. Zarathustra[H]

Same here. Initially I assumed that thicker is better, which is why I have a gargantuan 84.5mm thick Alphacool Monsta 280 in the front of my case. I still use it because I have it, but I would never buy this radiator today.

14. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Count me in yo the thinner is better club! All of my rads are the slim kind. :)

15. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

While I generally do not like quoting Jay, he used aluminum angles and riveted them together to make a box frame. I do not think it ended up looking bad, but using a boxfan...

Wade88, Zarathustra[H] and RogueTadhg like this.
  16. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

That's a pretty cool idea. I like the thought of doing that.

As far as slim vs thick. I see the points, especially if I was to go as silent as possible, i'd be better off with thinnest and let passive cooling take over. Especially since I have problems connecting 8 fans together (Cables).

17. Zarathustra[H]

The way I got around having flow through my massive 84.5mm thick radiator without being loud is doing push-pull. For the same flow, two fans in push pull are almost always quieter than one fan in either push or pull.

In my personal experience passive cooling usually doesn't work so well. Even with no load at all, with all of my fans turned off, the temp slowly rises in the loop. The pump and the friction generate heat too!

I have found these to be very useful.

41yV5kjgjRL._SX466_.jpg

Eight fans can share a single PWM control signal, powered off of a SATA power plug.

I have two of these plugged into my Aquaero for fan control.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    Solhokuten and Wade88 like this.
  18. hitched

hitched Limp Gawd

watercooled monoblock / 4 - 1080 ti's / and externally having 3 - xspc RX 360's you need more then 1 pump... I have 2 of the ek DDC elite pumps, one to push water entering the blocks and the other pushing water after the blocks and (maybe) 5 feet of slack on my hoses from case to rads even with the 2 ddc pumps water will not move if I stand the radiators vertically but have 0 issues with them laid on there side

Something else to consider is quick disconnects, the koolance QD4 is supposed to be the best low restriction ones you can get. I decided not to go with the qd4's because of there weird fitting size and went with the alphacool high flow quick disconnects instead... they are still pricey at $30 a piece but for maintenance and moving around same I love these things

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019 at 10:51 PM
  19. Zarathustra[H]

Hmm.

Are those blocks highly restrictive?

You said 4x GPU blocks? That's a lot. So you have a 5 blocks and 3 rads. I could see that being restrictive.

My D5 has been fine even when I turn it down to the lowest setting, but I only have two blocks (1x CPU, 1X GPU fullcover) and two radiators (1x Alphacool 420 XT45, and one Alphacool Monsta 280)

I keep it on the max setting all the time though, because it is no louder on max than it is on the lowest setting (only the pitch changes) so why not?

20. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I actually use that fan controller and tested it. The problem isn't so much running them now (Tested 8 of those Industrial 140s at full speed) - as much as putting the fan cables so that the fans don't chew up the wires. I let one of my other cables get too close to the fan blades and did a lot of damage to it which surprised me.

21. Zarathustra[H]

Hmm.

In a case it is always easy to find somewhere to tuck them in so they are out of the way, but width it open like that it is harder.

Maybe you could use something like this to tidy them up?

22. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Better yet, you could get a short strip of speaker wire conduit for living rooms to run the wires in to. You can get this kind of stuff at Lowes and Home Depot.

23. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I was toying around with the idea of using a bracket of some sort. The cable thickness and how tightly the fans fit together don't allow the wires to fit up, instead they have the be routed to the side. Then when you have two columns of fans, the wires don't fit between the columns. After reading all the stuff about thinner rads I was thinking about using passive cooling instead which would solve the issue of trying to route cables.
    img_4465_zps9rwzgsya-jpg.jpg