My First Virtual Reality Groping

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here we go again. I have to bite my tongue on this one so I am going to just leave my thoughts on this in the comments.

Suddenly, BigBro442’s disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest. “Stop!” I cried. I must have laughed from the embarrassment and the ridiculousness of the situation. Women, after all, are supposed to be cool, and take any form of sexual harassment with a laugh. But I still told him to stop. This goaded him on, and even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.

How do you grope an invisible body? (you can't as there is nothing to grope) Also if you don't like it, just take the damn headset off or end the game. Not hard.

This person needs to play some CoD, Battlefield or any other online game

I know I might catch crap for this but, like anyone that has ever played an online multiplayer game, I can't tell you how many times I've been teabagged, pwned, and/or called names by some 360 noscoping prepubescent teen. Did it make me mad? Sometimes. Did it "feel real?" No. I've never quit a match because some little kid (or grown man for that matter) SCREAMS into his mic every time he killed me "DUDE...I TOTALLY RAPED YOU!!!" as he teabagged my corpse on the way to a 30 - 2 ass stomping.

Is it different because I'm a guy? No. If I can't deal with it, I simply mute the player or leave the match. If I am emotionally scarred by playing a game online, I wouldn't play that game. If I am still thinking about an online match a week later, something is wrong...and it's not the game.

Am I excusing this type of behavior? Nope. I'm simply stating how it has been for more than two decades and no one, not one single person, has written an article about my man-feelings.

How do you grope an invisible body? (you can't as there is nothing to grope) Also if you don't like it, just take the damn headset off or end the game. Not hard.
You could RTFA and find out for yourself rather than just commenting.

That said, women need to deal with it until some sort of ruling comes down that classifies it as cyber harassment, which sad as it sounds is going to happen because too many retards out there mean we can't have anything good.

Some people need to wait patiently for Virtual Animal Crossing from NES....at least then they'll only have to deal with cute little panda and koala avatars trying to take upskirts up them when they aren't looking........"Look at all those avatars gathered at the base of the Unicorn Bridge stairway! I love Nintendo's friendly world!"

Some people need to wait patiently for Virtual Animal Crossing from NES....at least then they'll only have to deal with cute little panda and koala avatars trying to take upskirts up them when they aren't looking........"Look at all those avatars gathered at the base of the Unicorn Bridge stairway! I love Nintendo's friendly world!"

Wouldn't be surprised if you could sell the photos to Tom Nook (who stockpiles them in his store's hidden cellar).

You could RTFA and find out for yourself rather than just commenting.
I did read it, no physical in game body (other than hands) = impossible to grope as you can't place the hands on anything. Sure it may have FELT like groping to her but it wasn't. (It was really just miming) Now if the avatars were full body 3D, then I could see her point.

Harassment is harassment. However, this is no different than the screaming morons calling me a Jewish bastard, N-word, faggot, every 3 seconds in a MP game, (regardless the fact that I am a white atheist het), or tea bagging me after a kill, or annoying any other player they mark out as female.
Of course there are going to be morons that fuck up everything. One group by harassing people, and the other by crying over it like it is some sort of big deal.

Every guy who puts on a VR Headset will do this atleast once.

Suddenly, BigBro442’s disembodied helmet faced me dead-on. His floating hand approached my body, and he started to virtually rub my chest. “Stop!” I cried. I must have laughed from the embarrassment and the ridiculousness of the situation. Women, after all, are supposed to be cool, and take any form of sexual harassment with a laugh. But I still told him to stop. This goaded him on, and even when I turned away from him, he chased me around, making grabbing and pinching motions near my chest. Emboldened, he even shoved his hand toward my virtual crotch and began rubbing.

*unzips pants*

Go on....

Women get harassed in games far more than men anyway, so this isn't surprising.

I will say that in VR, even a virtual face/body right up in your face can be...unnerving.

I wonder, do all those guys that dont get it, think she needs to get over it, are they the same ones who get all upset if they think a guy is looking at their ass, or checking out the bulge?

When you live all your life in a world where many men treat you like a fleshjack it doesnt matter that most or all of them arnt like that... the ones that do are going to leave a scar so deep that it doesnt have to be physically touched to hurt.

In person, on the phone, on a message board and now in VR land, being objectified is the same thing regardless of context.

I wonder, do all those guys that dont get it, think she needs to get over it, are they the same ones who get all upset if they think a guy is looking at their ass, or checking out the bulge?

When you live all your life in a world where many men treat you like a fleshjack it doesnt matter that most or all of them arnt like that... the ones that do are going to leave a scar so deep that it doesnt have to be physically touched to hurt.

In person, on the phone, on a message board and now in VR land, being objectified is the same thing regardless of context.
If only they would stop objectifying me as a wallet, I might care. ;)
People are objectified daily in numerous ways. It's not just men sexually objectifying women. Your boss, your politicians, women, advertisers, retailers, insurance companies, banks, just to name a tiny few, all objectify people by the millions daily.
This is stupid, silly, and definitely not cool, but it is not some big deal requiring action of any sort. Just remember that your fellow humans tend to be dicks and get over it.

I'm usually the first one to tell these whiny ass feminists to STFU, but I can see how this could be pretty disturbing for her. I think she's overreacting and being overly hysterical about the incident, it's certainly not the same as a being groped in real life, but I can see where it could be upsetting. Personally, I'd be fucking pissed if some weirdo douchebag did this to me or my wife in-game. I don't even play multiplayer games because I don't want to put up with the shitty behavior that comes along with it, but this is a whole new level of obnoxious. I know it's just a game, but it's still infuriating, uncalled for, and just plain creepy. Not only does this give gamers a bad name, it gives the sjw crowd ammunition to push for cyber bullying and interaction laws. That's not going to be fun for any of us.

I used to think like you nonbelievers, but then I started to hear things from the female perspective.

My girlfriend has endless stories about guys coming onto her and or harrassing her. Like she's at a club dancing and some guy thinks he can just pick her up, carry her to a wall and rub on her. She had to fight him off to get him to stop. She gets endless guys asking for her number and she has to giggle and say in a sad tone "I'm sorry, but my boyfriend wouldn't like that." She has to do it that way so the guy with a wounded ego won't retaliate. She's gotten asked for her phone number in the damn drive-thru at McDonalds while I was on the phone with her. She's had creepy guys following her for miles on the highway -- not just behind her, but speeding up, passing, and slowing down exactly when she does. There's some crazy scary shit that women are subjected to out there.

I'm usually the first one to tell these whiny ass feminists to STFU, but I can see how this could be pretty disturbing for her. I think she's overreacting and being overly hysterical about the incident, it's certainly not the same as a being groped in real life, but I can see where it could be upsetting. Personally, I'd be fucking pissed if some weirdo douchebag did this to me or my wife in-game. I don't even play multiplayer games because I don't want to put up with the shitty behavior that comes along with it, but this is a whole new level of obnoxious. I know it's just a game, but it's still infuriating, uncalled for, and just plain creepy. Not only does this give gamers a bad name, it gives the sjw crowd ammunition to push for cyber bullying and interaction laws. That's not going to be fun for any of us.
If nothing else, there needs to be a reporting system like Dota has so repeat offenders can be put in a low-priority hell with fellow creeps.

Harassment is harassment. However, this is no different than the screaming morons calling me a Jewish bastard, N-word, faggot, every 3 seconds in a MP game, (regardless the fact that I am a white atheist het), or tea bagging me after a kill, or annoying any other player they mark out as female.
Of course there are going to be morons that fuck up everything. One group by harassing people, and the other by crying over it like it is some sort of big deal.
It's not the word that is evil, it's the context it's used in. Saying "n-word" just sounds grandstanding, and wrong.

Okay... I read the article. If every player appears as a "a floating helmet, a hand, and a bow" how was her chest and crotch, virtual or virtuous...or not...being groped? If it(they?) didn't EVEN EXIST IN THE GAME WORLD??? This means that she appears as just a floating head/hand/bow.

Now, I don't have the game and I've never seen it (other than the screenshot in the article). This screams of an agenda which was looking for an outlet.

I think she has a mattress on her back. Virtually.

Yet Violence is ok? VR can suck it there is a slew of Anime dating games hitting Steam just a matter of time.

It's not the word that is evil, it's the context it's used in. Saying "n-word" just sounds grandstanding, and wrong.
I understand that, and I agree, however, regardless the context it was used, I have had a mod edit the real word to "n-word" for me. .
I think it ridiculous it receives different treatment than all other racial slurs. To the point you can not even use it when discussing how it is used. Of course that brings me to the fact that I do not own this forum. If that word bothers the people that own and/or run this place, easier to just not use it, and save them the trouble of editing it.

If this game had real multiplayer content the author of the article could have just killed the offender and it would have been the end of that encounter. Instead we get carebear multiplayer games where everyone is supposed to express love and joy. Now someone literally expresses a form of love and some woman screams rape.

This woman has no business playing games. Stick to candy crush or whatever flavor of the month mobile game you play daily so you can call yourself a "gamer."

Everyone gets harassed in videogames. There is no gender or race on the internet, everyone is subject to the same content. People will want rules and laws to forbid the type of behavior of the guy in the article, but what we really need is for game developers to give us more control of the multiplayer environments.

there is a difference here in a few ways between this and any fps game. Even if just a floating head and hands. You are in VR so you are going to see everything in first person. You might not have a full body but you can still see the person trying to touch parts that would be there. This is worse than any FPS game as the actions are more real to the person playing, and to the person doing the action. Tea bagging is one thing, following a person around in a game and acting out sexual assault acts on them is different.

If VR unwanted touching is "sexual assault", do you agree that any form of physical "pat down" as part of your transportation process is also "sexual assault"?

Women get harassed in games far more than men anyway, so this isn't surprising.

I will say that in VR, even a virtual face/body right up in your face can be...unnerving.
That's why rule 30 of the internet is there are no girls and rule 31 is "tits are gtfo." If you go online and make a big deal about your gender then people will respond in kind.

But I would like to know where you got your information that women are harassed in games more than men because that would fly in the face of all the research I've seen.

You sound like you are a chick...

No... You encourage SJW's by acting as though they are relevant. Online gaming can be like tackle football. It's something guys like to do. If women want to play with the boys then they just have to accept certain things (things might/will get rough). Women are not always right and men are not always wrong. Nullifying and invaliding the male experience so women can feel comfortable "is" sexist.

there is a difference here in a few ways between this and any fps game. Even if just a floating head and hands. You are in VR so you are going to see everything in first person. You might not have a full body but you can still see the person trying to touch parts that would be there. This is worse than any FPS game as the actions are more real to the person playing, and to the person doing the action. Tea bagging is one thing, following a person around in a game and acting out sexual assault acts on them is different.

This. The comments here lead me to believe none of you are married, or have kids, much less daughters. Justifying behavior because it is on the internet and telling women to GTFO is ridiculous. If I found someone doing this to one of my girls, virtual or otherwise, I would hunt them down. Shame on all of you for blaming women for speaking out.

Back