My First Personal AMD Box in a While

Made a few updates tonight...

First and foremost I replaced the 240 rad with a 360 version of the LiqTech II TR4. Looks really good in there, and certainly will give me more airflow through the case.

Testing with Premiere Pro encoding, it did not net me better clocks/wattages on the 2950X, however it did drop the temps a few degrees. So no real net gain on performance in the real world. The previous mounting did have a great TIM mating footprint...again. So it seems the mount system on the LiqTech is very solid.

IMG_20190124_170526.jpg IMG_20190124_170533.jpg

The other thing I did was put the cooler back onto the MSI M.2 card. Those 1TB SSDs were getting up to 100C while naked on there and moving big files across those and during encoding writes. So I did take the time this time around to see if the fan on the card would function without the 6-pin PCIe cable connected. YES! Works just find. It seems the 6-pin in on there for no other reason than to make this look like a video card....which is exactly what MSI said their goal was with its aesthetic design. Obviously an electrical X16 PCIe slot can deliver enough wattage to run 4 NVME and a small fan. With the case under my desk and the sides on, I do not hear the fan like I did during testing, so we will see how it goes this week and if it distracts me. There is not access to a fan profile, but you can turn the fan off and on with a switch on the card. With the heatsink in place, and the fan on, my SSD transfer temps dropped 30C! I did not take the labels off the SSDs as I did not want to mess up any warranty on those. I will give them a while then remove those as the labels cannot be helping.

IMG_20190124_170540.jpg IMG_20190124_170553.jpg

Finally, this Thermaltake GT20 case is very heavy once filled with hardware. There is less than an inch from the top of the case and the bottom of my desk, so I have to push it under the desk. The feet on this case are very sticky, so it got four furniture slides installed as well. Best mod yet!

IMG_20190124_170452.jpg

Fun fact. Shooting the pics above, I simply opened the doors and had my son hold it open. These are NOT locked into place like the Corsair 500D. He pushed a bit too hard on the door, and it slid out of the hinge and onto the floor. Landed right on a corner. The tempered glass took it like a champ. The flooring....not so much.

Practical mods are the best mods!

It looks so...oily. Just the color and the lighting I guess.

I wish MSI sold that card separately from the motherboard, I really want one.

Looking good, though! Any plans to swap the AIO's out for a "proper" OL system, or are you quite happy with them?

Looking good, though! Any plans to swap the AIO's out for a "proper" OL system, or are you quite happy with them?
Yes, this will get the full treatment soon. Proper loop for the whole thing. I might wait for the 7nm Threadripper, not sure yet.

On topic, anyone else getting H.R. Giger Xenomorph vibes from kyles finished build? The slick black tubes and hard plastic.
Had not occurred to me, but I can see where that might come to mind.

I can't help but think this would look really cool with a nixie tube fan controller:

lamptron_fc10_se_nixies_on_4.jpg

I mean, it's a shitty controller (voltage control only, no pwm) but those tubes are damned sexy. I've debated picking one up solely for the RPM/temperature display, and not having it control anything.

I can't help but think this would look really cool with a nixie tube fan controller:

View attachment 137476

I mean, it's a shitty controller (voltage control only, no pwm) but those tubes are damned sexy. I've debated picking one up solely for the RPM/temperature display, and not having it control anything.

Actually, scratch that, case doesn't appear to have drive bays. Could be modded though. :p

I had my old AMD FX system under my desk with like 6 inches of clearance, and hot air still built up under the desk. Easiest solution is not to put the computer under anything.

Great system build and video documenting the process, Kyle. Glad to see, for the most part, the case swap is netting you a few benefits and Thermaltake is good with support.

Do you have any plans to film the liquid cooling implentation? I think it would be fun to see and educational for those wanting to get into liquid cooling but just need a little bit of guidance.
Most likely will film it. When I do that I will put a RTX 2080 Ti in there with a block as well.

I love the look of that build, very dystopian. Need to change your rig sig to reflect the changes...just a suggestion.

Interesting that you found the build quality on that case to be sufficient for your personal needs...I ordered one from Amazon and it came new, no damage to the box, but the crappy PLASTIC hinges that TT uses to hold the TG doors on was split about 60% of the way down...The door would still open and close but after seeing that and inspecting the rest of the case I found it very wanting and an u happy Amazon took it back.

I decided to give TT another shot since I needed a case that would support a 360(60mm thick) and a 420(45mm thick) rad setup for my sig system. I also wanted to keep it under $220 which excluded the very nice Enthoo line of cases.

I went with the TT View 71 TG edition, and while it is a massive case (over 75lbs filly loaded with the doors on) I still am only semi happy. The top glass panel was restricting the 3 120mm Gentle Typhoons that were exhaust on my top 360mm rad (even with the fans undervolted to 6.5V). Removing that glass plate dropped my load temps on all three Vegas by ~8C if I remember correctly.
The hinges on mine are steel, just checked. The doors stay closed so well, they are a PITA to get open. Bought mine at Microcenter at the end of December. Was on sale for $250, which was the top I was going to pay for a case as well.

I too went to AMD for the 1st time since the Opteron 185 socket 939. I did the 1800X and the 2700X so far on the ASUS crosshair hero VI with 64GB of DDR4 3200 (at 3000mhz)
Enjoy.

I use that Silverstone fan hub in my Corsair Carbide 240. Works pretty nicely. Wishing I had a case big enough for a bigger radiator like that for the 2920. One day....

I use that Silverstone fan hub in my Corsair Carbide 240. Works pretty nicely. Wishing I had a case big enough for a bigger radiator like that for the 2920. One day....
I thought about doing the thicker one, but that would hide the mobo VRM heatsink fully behind the rad and I do not want to do that. Also, those XSPC rads do really well anyway, so I am interested in what it will allow me with PB Overdrive in a push/pull setup.

This is what Cooler Guys had to say about the Nidec fans, since I thought these were not in production any more...

SERVO Nidec GentleTyphoon 120mm Case Fans (2150 RPM 4pin PWM)

On Friday, February 15, 2019, 4:47 PM, Kyle R Bennett wrote:

Can I be assured these are genuine Nidec GT fans?

Hi Kyle,

They definitely are. I believe we're the only ones still having these GT custom made in the US since Scythe stopped--we have to go directly to Nidecs Servo subsidiary with a >1000 moq order. Please note though that they aren't in retail packaging and are OEM.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Andrew

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This having never been available locally, but have always heard of this online...

How is the sound profile on these, and how would they compare to noctuas for case fans?

Itching for July for the Ryzen 3rd gen... I feel like buying a case, fans, [and maybe some RAM] very soon just to have something to sit on before then...

How is the sound profile on these, and how would they compare to noctuas for case fans?
I have always just felt personally that these do a better job on radiators than Noctua fans. No knock on Noctua, they make great stuff, I have always had better results with these.

These move a lot of air nearly silently.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: (2150 RPM)
Model No:
D1225C12B6ZPA-64
Fan Speed: 900-2150 RPM
Fan Noise: 15-32 DBA
Air Flow: 68 CFM
Power Draw: 0.13-0.23 A
Connector: PWM model
Bearing: Dual Ball

From Noctua, the NF-P12 Redux is probably the closest in terms of specs. A lot cheaper too.

I just know the Nidec Gentle Typhoons kick ass and seemingly last forever, so I went with those.

Seems there are some z-height tolerance differences between Micron and Samsung VRAMs on 2080 Ti FE cards....

IMG_20190219_005544.jpg IMG_20190219_005638.jpg IMG_20190219_005641.jpg

Looks to be about 2mm. That is a rediculous amount of difference for Z on a BGA package.
This is what AlphaCool had to say differing Z-height on VRAMs, which we know can be different: "The height is sometimes different. We are talking about 0,1, 0,2 up to 0,3 mm. And our manufacturing tolerance are around 0,1 mm. So, in some rare cases, if everything is going wrong, the different of the height could be up to 0,4 mm. That is the worst case scenario. And it seems like you got the worst case scenario."

I will pick up some 1mm thermal pads today, the ones in the kit were 1.5mm. That should fix the issue.

Perhaps part of the smoking gun?
Don't think so.

I think I might give those fans a try. That and maybe it's time to swap the Swiftech radiators out.
I'm using XSPC water blocks already.

Inspired by this build.

Boy, nVidia really screwed the enthusiast market. I would be pissed it this happened to me. No way to even differentiate the RAM on the GPU box. Not at my PC right now, and I can't remember if GPU-Z tells you what vendor RAM is or not.
Yeah, GPUz will tell you what is on your card.

Back