My first mechanical keyboard -- a quacky...um QUICKY Ducky Shine 2 TKL review

Limp Gawd
I have been pretty satisfied with a regular $20.00 keyboard, but wanted to see what the fuss was all about with you guys and these fancy keyboards. So, I finally buckled down and got one. I needed help deciding on which switches to buy even after reading all the posts by all the keyboard enthusiasts out there. So I bought the WASD Keycap and Cherry MX Switch Sampler Kit:

bg6nzc9.jpg

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

This was about $10 shipped First Class.

Well, to me, the general consensus was really spot on: The brown switch seemed to be the best overall to press on due to that small feedback it gives you. The red switch was my second favorite, due to how effortless it was to press down and how quiet it was. The blue switch was awesome and all feedbacky and clicky, but a hair too noisy. The black switch, while by no means horrible, was my least favorite; it just had a tad bit too much resistance for me like it was fighting me back and felt like it might be a chore to press down on every single time (just my humble opinion of course!).

Moving on... the keyboard I decided on after going back and forth on an assortment of expensive Filco, Topre, and Ducky models was the Ducky Shine 2 Tenkeyless White LED / Cherry MX Red. Although I liked the brown switch by a slight margin, I chose the red switch since this would primarily be for gaming.

xT5BcDr.jpg

A03ZNwC.jpg

The white LEDs are nice from an aesthetics standpoint, and customizable with several modes of lighting and levels of brightness, including the ability to turn them off. In terms of usability, the red switches are enjoyable to type on and the caps feel nice and fine! It's everything I expected it to be. Build quality is pretty good and I have not noticed any problems yet in my few days of ownership besides just getting adjusted to the layout itself.

pXqG5X9.jpg

With the WASD keycaps on this time. OK...Yes it is a little blingy and the lights won't be to everyone's preference, but this was primarily a "fun" keyboard for games and late night usage, so the Shine version seemed like the right choice. I do still want to get a more serious or exotic top end keyboard like a Made in Japan Topre for general use one day, but the Ducky is a pretty respectable board in its own right IMHO.

hAW7B3p.jpg

I know this was all TLDR; and "cool story, quack!"

...but I DO hope this post may be helpful to someone out there coming from the perspective of someone who is brand new to these. This keyboard is partly about aesthetics and of course partly about function...and IMHO it does well in both departments. I am really looking forward to moving up in the ladder of mechanical keyboards and getting something of better quality later on! :)

Last edited:
I got that exact board in blue/blue coming in 2 days...thanks, very excited

Where would I be able to order one and have it shipped to New Zealand?

Where would I be able to order one and have it shipped to New Zealand?

There are quite a few European keyboard etailers that should have Duckys, but I can't remember any off the top of my head. If worse comes to worst you can always order through a Taobao agent, but they normally charge a small service fee (~7%) on top of shipping.

I think the only real problem you might have is if you want an ISO layout, I think they're only set up in ANSI currently.

cool stuff, for a second i was thinking year of the dragon and a crazy light show, but this is cool too

blue on blue tenkeyless here

a lot of noise, had I been smart enough to get the switch sampler like the OP I may have gone for browns

very nice though, I like it

I have been pretty satisfied with a regular $20.00 keyboard, but wanted to see what the fuss was all about with you guys and these fancy keyboards. So, I finally buckled down and got one. I needed help deciding on which switches to buy even after reading all the posts by all the keyboard enthusiasts out there. So the WASD Keycap and Cherry MX Switch Sampler Kit was purchased:

samplekit.jpg

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

For only about $10.00 or so shipped First Class, it seemed like a no-brainer IMHO.

Well, to me, the general consensus was really spot on: The brown switch seemed to be the best overall to press on due to that small feedback it gives you. The red switch was my second favorite, due to how effortless it was to press down and how quiet it was. The blue switch was awesome and all feedbacky and clicky, but a hair too noisy. The black switch, while by no means horrible, was my least favorite; it just had a tad bit too much resistance for me like it was fighting me back and felt like it might be a chore to press down on every single time (just my humble opinion of course!).

Moving on... the keyboard I haphazardly decided on after going back and forth on an assortment of expensive Filco, Topre, and Ducky models was the Ducky Shine 2 Tenkeyless White LED / Cherry MX Red. Although I preferred the brown switch by a slight margin, I chose the red switch since this would primarily be for gaming. Sorry for the grainy photos in advance.

76660878.jpg

97796887.jpg

The white LEDs are nice from an aesthetics standpoint, and customizable with several modes of lighting and levels of brightness, including the ability to turn them off. In terms of usability, the red switches are enjoyable to type on and the caps feel nice and fine! It's everything I expected it to be. Build quality is pretty good and I have not noticed any glitches yet in my few days of ownership besides just getting adjusted to the layout itself.

68689717.jpg

With the WASD keycaps on this time. OK...Yes it is a little blingy and the lights won't be to everyone's preference, but this was primarily a "fun" keyboard for games and late night usage, so the Shine version seemed like the right choice. I do still want to get a more serious or exotic top end keyboard like a Made in Japan Topre for general use one day, but the Ducky is a pretty respectable board in its own right IMHO.

97929158.jpg

I know this was all TLDR; and "cool story, quack!"

...but I DO hope this post may be helpful to someone out there coming from the perspective of someone who is brand new to these. This keyboard is partly about aesthetics and of course partly about function...and IMHO it does well in both departments. I am really looking forward to moving up in the ladder of mechanical keyboards and getting something of better quality later on! :)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm on the fence about which LED version I should get for Ducky TKL. The pictures you took with the white LED were they modified/enhanced/edited in some way?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm on the fence about which LED version I should get for Ducky TKL. The pictures you took with the white LED were they modified/enhanced/edited in some way?

Looks to be unmodified white LEDs; WASD's keycaps are kind of thin which allows for light to easily bleed through on lighter colors.

It's just as easy to modify white LEDs with alcohol based dyes (dry-erase markers) though, just may require some light sanding to ensure the dye doesn't separate.

No they weren't it would appear that he had them on a lower setting (% of light) for the photos I'm guessing it was set at 60% or so (the keyboard has multiple levels of light or off or responsive [per key press]).

If you look around the Y key those are pulled and you just see the LED, the WSAD are a set of caps that he bought with the letter outline and the others are the sampler pack that he ordered.

No they weren't it would appear that he had them on a lower setting (% of light) for the photos I'm guessing it was set at 60% or so (the keyboard has multiple levels of light or off or responsive [per key press]).

If you look around the Y key those are pulled and you just see the LED, the WSAD are a set of caps that he bought with the letter outline and the others are the sampler pack that he ordered.

The optional red WASD cluster comes with the keyboard, as well as a red Escape key and ring type key puller.

Still trying to figure out which color o ring dampeners would be good with Red Switches, any advice?

Still trying to figure out which color o ring dampeners would be good with Red Switches, any advice?

It's personal preference like switch type; I enjoy the softer ones so WASD's blue ones suit me well.

And, yes, the red backlit WASD cluster is included with Ducky Shine 2 models.

It's personal preference like switch type; I enjoy the softer ones so WASD's blue ones suit me well.

And, yes, the red backlit WASD cluster is included with Ducky Shine 2 models.

Does that include the Pink/White ones, because I feel that would clash if it was pink on red.

I got a ducky shine 2 9087 TKL white LED with Cherry MX Blue keys and it's amazing! love the color with the red WASD keys.

Would love to have a Ducky Shine II with Cherry MX Reds and just about any back lighting color. Hard to find and so expensive though!

Back