My first ever smartphone, please advise

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
HI, my name is John,
I'm 36 years old and I have a dumb phone.

"Hi john"

Ok seriously though, I've never owned a smartphone, although I do have a samsung tablet and have owned ipods touches, etc. So it isn't like I'm completely in the dark of todays technology.

I just have been putting off using a smartphone because I'm very frugal and couldn't justify the costs.

Finally it is time to break down and get one. Verizon is my carrier.

Currently I'm looking at either getting a new Moto G 2015, or buying a used Samsung Galaxy S4 on swappa.

I'm not the kind of guy to spend hours on my phone looking online, facebooking etc.
The biggest reason I'm interested in a smartphone is for the camera capabilities/photo sharing. You know, sharing photos of my little daughter with the family and such.

So does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Am I overlooking a phone that is a quality bargain?

Again, I'm looking for a budget phone. Looking to pay between 100-200 bucks, Thats it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Galaxy S series are nice, but so effing full of bloat.
Also, lots of people complain of and don't like Touchwiz.

I've heard a lot of good about the Moto G.

One thing to possible be concerned a bout is onboard memory and Micro SD slot or lack thereof; especially if you plan on taking a lot of pics and/or videos.

If you are deciding between the two get the S4, the camera on the Moto g is terrible.

The 2015 Moto G w/ 2GB of RAM is a great value. Battery life and performance are awesome and it comes with a microSD slot if you need more than 16GB of storage. Though it costs ~$220 new which is slightly over your budget.

If you are deciding between the two get the S4, the camera on the Moto g is terrible.

I somewhat disagree on the latter. The 2015 Moto G's camera is actually really good in daylight for me, it is bad in low light though (but that's the same for anything that's not a flagship)

I'll make it easier for you; the Moto G 2015 isn't available on Verizon. :p

I guess you forgot how far cameras have came in 2 years; the pics I've seen in the Moto G 2015 reviews are considerably better than what I've seen on my wife's old GS4. The new G has the same camera as the Nexus 6, which is pretty decent actually. She just replaced it with a GS6 though, so OP if you're looking for a phone, I'll happily sell you her old (Verizon) GS4. The only thing is she has two small hairline cracks in the glass at the bottom of the display.. not really noticeable, but I'll send pics if interested. It's a 32GB version too, most were 16GB as you could only get the 32GB online and not in stores.

Damn I was really leaning towards the Moto G. As it seems like a front runner for budget phones.

Well I guess maybe I will look at getting a 1 or 2 year old flagship from swappa if I can find one for 150 or so.

Which flagships have the best cameras? and low light does matter to me since my house always seem to be dim haha.

I would say the LG G3 would be the best value at around that price. I see them starting at $175 on Swappa.

Bought my girlfriend a Moto G and it's great. Samsungs are fast and all, but they have a complete GUI overhaul and lots of unremovable apps. I'm a nexus user so the Moto G with almost vanilla android was a must if I wanted to show her how to use it. Plus, Moto G runs a newer version of android than the S5.

I use a Moto G with a 32gb microSD card and its OK for a budget phone. I'll also say the camera is not very good, though I've seen worst. It runs vanilla Android 5.1.

It's relatively cheap and it works. PITA to change the battery if that is an issue for you. But at least it's possible.

In the FS section, there's a guy selling a used but very good condition Verizon S5 for $180. That's probably about the best you're going to do in that price range. If camera quality is important than for under $200, the LG G3 and Galaxy S5 are going to be your best bets. I have extensive experience with both of those phones and the cameras are very comparable. The S5 is maybe slightly better in good lighting while the G3 is slightly better in low lighting. But the differences are small.

Maybe I'll wait a while longer.

I'm trying to save for a down payment on a home and I really don't NEED a smartphone.

When do the new models generally release?

Maybe I'll buy an older model then when everyone sells their old phones to get the new ones.

Welcome to the smartphone nerd site :) Should get good advice here ;)

I would stay away from the Galaxy S4, that thing is bloated down with so much junk, you may be disappointed.

What about the HTC One M8 out for Verizon ? Those might be going for around $200 ? That's a very nice phone. Or what about a Note 3 ? Root it and install the Note 5 ROM and then you all golden :c:

Last edited:
Yeah see, now you're speaking greek to me.

What do you mean by root it?

I know what a rom is, I'm assuming you are talking about some kind of bios flashing?

I'm trying to save for a down payment on a home and I really don't NEED a smartphone.

When do the new models generally release?

Maybe I'll buy an older model then when everyone sells their old phones to get the new ones.

This Fall just saw the big new releases; new iPhone in September, new Note 5 in August, new Nexus line coming out this month, new Moto X last month.

- Verizon Note 3's seems to be selling for like $250 to $350, so maybe that's out.

- Galaxy S5's are going for around $200 to $325

- Verizon HTC One M8 for around $200 to $250 ( I highly recommend this one )

Finally it is time to break down and get one. Verizon is my carrier.

I'm not the kind of guy to spend hours on my phone looking online, facebooking etc.
The biggest reason I'm interested in a smartphone is for the camera capabilities/photo sharing. You know, sharing photos of my little daughter with the family and such.

Again, I'm looking for a budget phone. Looking to pay between 100-200 bucks, Thats it.

So now is the time to buy a phone. BUT maybe you'll wait because you don't NEED it? I'm sorry, but please don't post a thread if you really don't mean what you say. You know, because, it wastes the time of the people who are trying to help you.

So, what? You're scared off a little because we can't recommend a world beater for less than $200? Well hello Mcfly, you have to make some compromises if you're going to be cheap. You have to settle for last gen phone tech, which, suprise, surprise, is not as good as current phone tech.

Anyway, thanks for the tremendous thread.

Wow, who shit in your cheerios this morning man?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to reply to my thread man.

No I'm not "scared off" I don't want a "world beater" whatever the fuck that is. There is a reason I'm looking to buy used, it's so I can get older models that can perform to my sub par standards at a reasonable price.

I simply might wait awhile before I purchase. That doesn't make this thread irrelevant in the least.

Jesus buddy, why don't you go home and beat the wife some more instead of jumping all over my back just because I may find it wiser to wait a little longer.

Another vote for the LG G3.. probably going to give you the best camera experience for the price, plus you will have SD card support to house the pictures.

I like the HTC One M8 a lot but isn't the camera not too stellar here?

Could always get a iPhone, very simple to use and has a solid camera... I haven't checked prices on 5S yet if they've gone around $200. I wouldn't get a iPhone unless it's at least a 5S.

Droid Maxx is also good. It's basically a Moto X 2013 with a huge battery. I'm using it right now until I decide what phone I'm going with.. insane battery life, the camera has satisfied me for what I take pics of but people will have different views. Are you looking to just snap some pics and have a okay looking clear picture or some crystal clear, vibrate photos with perfect lightning ? People's definition of a good camera will vary I guess, I watch YouTube videos of reviewers really picking apart flagships camera shots and I sit there and I'm like ... I think it looks great? Lol. YMMV.

I have an LG G3 like everyone is suggesting and I can vouch. The only downside I can see is that the very large 5.5" 1440x2560 screen can drain the battery if you are actively using it for a period of time. Other then that it has great specs, including for gaming. Cost me $99 at the time with a $50 rebate. If you are due for contract renewal check your local store to see if they have a deal on it.

Wow, who shit in your cheerios this morning man?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to reply to my thread man.

No I'm not "scared off" I don't want a "world beater" whatever the fuck that is. There is a reason I'm looking to buy used, it's so I can get older models that can perform to my sub par standards at a reasonable price.

I simply might wait awhile before I purchase. That doesn't make this thread irrelevant in the least.

Jesus buddy, why don't you go home and beat the wife some more instead of jumping all over my back just because I may find it wiser to wait a little longer.

Frank. That's the guy who shit in my cheerios. He's such a jerk that Frank. He didn't even ask. :D

But yeah, I apologize for sounding so pissy. I did have a shit day yesterday. But I am still a little puzzled by your response to your thread. You said now is that the time to buy a phone and you asked for recommendations based on a specific price range (which I applaud you for actually. You'd be shocked how many people ask for buying advice without giving pricing guidelines). And in response you were given some very sound buying options. To which you responded that now you want to wait. Which leads a rationale human to assume that you are not satisfied with your options or have just changed your mind. And you know what, it's a free country and you're free to change your mind.

But I will say this. You can always play the waiting game when it comes to electronics. In 6 months several newer devices will come down in price and be more palatable for your price range. But guess what? By then, there will be a whole new segment of phones which will make the budget phones look like crap by comparison. And then you can talk yourself into waiting another 6 months for THOSE phones to come down in price. The waiting game can go on ad nauseum.

If you're interested in your first real smart phone, I say just get it. It's impossible to win the electronics waiting game because something better is ALWAYS around corner. If you're new to smartphones getting something reasonable is a great way to learn about modern phones without too much investment. Chances are you will find apps and ways to use your phone that you never realized you would find interesting. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Now excuse me while I go beat my wife. (And by beat, I mean bang my really hot girlfriend.) Peace. :D

Last edited:
Get a Nexus, Moto, or iPhone.

If you can't tell, I like my operating systems naked.

I still suggest the HTC One M8, great phone, comfortable size, good OS. And should be in your budget.

I still suggest the HTC One M8, great phone, comfortable size, good OS. And should be in your budget.

Sorry Z. Can't agree. He said his #1 priority is camera ability. Among the S5, G3, and M8, the M8 is easily a distant 3rd as far as camera ability. (Granted it's great in a lot of other areas. But you have to listen to your consumer).

Another vote for LG G3.

On sale in recent weeks for only $250.
Not much bloatware at least on the Tmobile version.
No need to root to freeze most processes/apps on stockrom, even google services. :D
Big 5.5" qHD screen with minimal bazel, unlike most other phones with 5.5" screens.
Android 5.0.1 improved the battery life a lot vs. 4.4.2, making qHD drain a non-issue now.
Camera performance is good. 4K video capture at 60fps is supported.
MicroSD slot for massive storage. Great for 4K video captures and 13MP photos.
Removable battery will help with resale value later. It would be like new if used with a case and tempered glass screen protector.

You'd be hard pressed to beat its price given its features and performance. :)

I hate Touchwhiz passionately. Moto imo.

Don't listen to this guy. He sucks. Eggs.

But seriously, the G3 definitely looks like the best choice out of all. Fairly comfortable to hold in one hand as well.

Don't listen to this guy. He sucks. Eggs.

But seriously, the G3 definitely looks like the best choice out of all. Fairly comfortable to hold in one hand as well.

I never owned an LG G3, but if you can get one that cheap, I'd say go with it. Really is a nice sized phone, and good spec's still for today.

The white one looks really cool, white bottom, with top black.

Back