My first close look at DDR4 ram pins

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I noticed the pins taper off at the edges and get taller in the middle. Does anyone know why that is? The edges only look like the copper pins are about 1/8".

He is saying it is that way so you cant put it in the wrong slot type. In a hard, assholish way that is prided upon here.

This is your only warning. :chicken:

It's odd as the key notch alone would be enough to prevent the installation of the wrong memory modules into a slot not designed for it. At also doesn't seem to have anything to do with orientation of the module as its symmetrical outside of the actual notch, which is used for orientation. The contacts have varying lengths across the PCB. They are actually longer in the middle and shorter on the ends. If you place a module on a level surface with the pins down, you'll see the memory doesn't actually sit flat.

I've often wondered this too. I install more RAM than most people as I'm always pulling and re-installing RAM for reviews and only noticed this within the last year or so.

He is saying it is that way so you cant put it in the wrong slot type. In a hard, assholish way that is prided upon here.

This is your only warning. :chicken:
Then the problem with his reply is that there are many reasons they could have changed the pin layout other than not to mix up DDR3/4. So he fails at that too.

Maybe it is a patent thing or like dasa said a physics thing. I did notice they aren't flat across the bottom like RAM has been for a while now as Dan_D stated.

Then the problem with his reply is that there are many reasons they could have changed the pin layout other than not to mix up DDR3/4. So he fails at that too.

It was a joke for the most part. I deal with a lot of different types of memory at work, so noticing the physical visual cues is great way for me to grab something close to what I need without staring at each and every label. I narrow down by physical characteristics then look at the label that matches what I needed. Works great for finding unbufuffed, ecc registered, in the ddr flavors.

Ideally you would have tons of memory in labeled trays, but that's not always the case.

It was a joke for the most part. I deal with a lot of different types of memory at work, so noticing the physical visual cues is great way for me to grab something close to what I need without staring at each and every label. I narrow down by physical characteristics then look at the label that matches what I needed. Works great for finding unbufuffed, ecc registered, in the ddr flavors.

Ideally you would have tons of memory in labeled trays, but that's not always the case.
No worries. If the reason it did change is to identify RAM, then ok. Thanks for the explanation. It just seems like the outer DDR4 pins are really shallow.

Back