My first business network

larryBird44

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys,

I've been tasked with the setup of a small business network which includes the server hardware, software, and network config.

The company has 3 workstations in one room, 2 of which are connected wirelessly and 1 wired to a cheapy belkin wireless router which handles the DSL modem.

The company wants backup, remote access, and file sharing. They currently use ISP e-mail, though I heard exchange is a nightmare and I won't be onsite to administer it so I'm thinking about leaving e-mail alone for now.

I've selected Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation and a Dell T110 w/ 8gb RAM, (2) 250gb in RAID 1 which will backup to some external harddrives. I should mention it has 1 NIC, couldn't find the justification (just yet) for a second or dual port NIC.

The Dell T110 will handle DHCP & DNS since I was going to use AD.

Here's the meat of my question:

Can I use basically any switch to connect the 3 PC's together and server? I see talk about hubs but that they are antiquated. I'm thinking about setting it up like this but want to make sure it will work.

Internet > DSL Modem > ?? Router > Dell Powerconnect (8-port) Switch > T110 Server, 3 computers, printers

What's been bugging me is making sure that the T110 handles DHCP. In my experience the router handled DHCP, so in essence I'd disable all DHCP servers save for the T110? Heck, the only reason I think I need the switch is in case they expand their network with additional workstations.

Last edited:
I wouldn't dismiss Small Business Server
Aside from file sharing, you also get built in backup, built in Exchange Server, built in Sharepoint, built in Remote Web Workplace portal so users can remote to their workstations from out on the road or home.

If you go with SBS...I do recommend beefing up the server to a better grade one. I like Dells servers...but none of the 100 series..those are glorified desktops with fake RAID and slow SATA disks. Start with a 3 year warranty server.

Even if just using Foundation server..I'd want to beef up the server more.

also, check out microsoft exchange online, i've been pimping them for a few months now on here.

$5 bucks a month for 25 gig mailboxes.

Exchange is amazingly simple, I don't know why it gets such a bad rap.

But yes I would agree with YeOlde SBS would work in this situation, however go to a T310. 8GB would be OK, 12 would be preferred, and SAS over SATA any day of the week (just not near line SAS, they are just rebadged SATA disks).

For a network that small you can have the server handle DHCP if you want or you could let your gateway device do it, it really wouldn't make a difference.

But yes your thoughts of Internet>Gateway>Switch>clients is correct.

If you go with SBS...I do recommend beefing up the server to a better grade one. I like Dells servers...but none of the 100 series..those are glorified desktops with fake RAID and slow SATA disks. Start with a 3 year warranty server.

clarification. fake raid means software raid. he' saying get a raid card installed. Lots more expensive, but worth it

I would go for SBS as well. Exchange isn't a nightmare to manage.. once it's setup it's pretty flawless for the most part.

That switch you have listed would be fine for their needs.Yes you'll want to disable DHCP on router and configure DHCP on the server. If the plan on growing at all you'd probably be better off with a 16 port switch.

What do you plan on using for the router/firewall?

clarification. fake raid means software raid. he' saying get a raid card installed. Lots more expensive, but worth it

FakeRAID (FRAID) is more commonly used for the cheezy uber entry level RAID wanna be hardware controllers like the Intel/Adaptec SATA RAID on these entry level servers. While yes they're hardware RAID, they're still VERY CPU dependent..and lacking in features...horrible performance too.

Yes hardware RAID cards are well worth it..I can write a few pages about various one but I'm lacking the time and interest. I also don't see where, as you state, the OP said he's getting a RAID card installed. He said the server is coming with RAID 1....but it's not mentioned exactly "how". Technically it could be software RAID!

that T110 is nt bad especially for 3 users, get the 3 year warranty ont eh SATA drives, 8GB or more, Foundation Server, SAS controller

backup to external drives swap them.

I would also look at some sort of online file backup, one with the ability to send your data to you on HDD if you need it. I use Crashplan for my wife's photography, but I know they have a Pro plan too for multiple machines.

With what you are describing, If the building burns down, I could have them back up and running with a credit card and a few phone calls, in a new location, in about 2-3 days.

Back