my first built rig isn't making me happy .. help

Well I built my first rig and did it all myself without researching nearly enough. I ended up with a pretty good system instead of something great.

I have some Samsung PC3200 CL3 ram 2x256
a 2500+ Barton (unlocked but ... read more further down)
a MSI KT6 Delta LSR motherboard
my case is the Antec Lanboy 1 /w 350 Blue LED PSU
2 80mm case fans .. Thermaltake SmartFan II's
and a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ cooling the cpu

my concern is this. i am unable to overclock to 11x200 at default voltage with this setup. I can hit 10.5x200 without any issue on cpuburn4/prime95. 11x200 causes failure within a few minutes of the test.

well, I would just up the voltage (and i have upped the voltage and gotten it stable at 11x200). but ........

this 2500+ seems to run a little hot. it might be a crappy HSF .. i dont know. it maxes at like 59C at 10.5x200 at default voltage.

it might be poor case airflow .. although these smartfans dont really help matters much .. even though they are super loud at run at 72cfm.

i guess it COULD be the mobo .. but i dont know .. I am stuck

I have thought about selling the 2500+ and then getting a 2600+M .. i've heard these are better chips than the regular run of the mill stuff out there.

i've also considered getting a SLK900a to replace my Volcano 11 .. but I don't think it'd be THAT big of a difference ..

I dunno .. what would you guys do in my situation?

first off, if u want to OC i demand that u get a better HSF, even if its a zalman, trust me the SLK-900 makes a world of a difference, made my oced 3200+ Barton go from 52c to 38c, with the arctic silver of course.

next well, u should be just fine with this now, after u get the hsf, it will help out alot, do u have the retail hsf, because it would be better than the one u bought

hell i have a coolermaster HHC-001 that will kick ass on that thing, lmk if u want and i will sell to u cheap

ive also looked at maybe just putting one foot infront of the other and going for a Athlon 64 2800+ .... it wouldn't be too much more of an upgrade price after hitting up ebay.

well yea of course.

is there any indication on what sort of gaming performance to expect from a 2800+ AMD64 vs. a regular 2500+ XP Barton ?

i know nothing has 64bit support yet but HL2 will .. UT2k4 has a patch coming out .. Doom3 will ...

has anyone said anything on what to expect?

are you using any kind of thermal compound inbetween the heatsink and the cpu?

yes of course .. i am using Arctic Silver 5 (paper thin layer spread only over the core) .... i originally thought this to be a thermal compound problem as well but I cleaned both surfaces off and retried the application and ended up with the exact same temp results.

can you get your fsb up any more? id leave the multiplyer alone, and up that clock speed.

I have my 2600+ running at 2.3 right now idel is about 39-40c load might hit 50c if the temp in my room is hot (note this comp is jamed next to my server/other comp as well), and im using the vantech VA4-C7040. I dont know how your hsf works, sounds like its crap, Could also be the MB.

the FSB pretty much craps out around 215ish. I have had it at 10.5x210 and also 11x200 but it required a voltage bump. the temps are my main concern

the volcano 11 is an all copper HS /w a 72cfm 80mm fan. I am slowing starting to believe that this is the weak link. it also might be that the case isn't getting rid of that hot ambient temp fast enough either but I have 1 intake and 1 exaust .. both are the same type of fan as the HS (SmartFan II 80mm 72cfm fans).

I just really would hate to blow the money on a new HS and then find out my temps are still crap.

I have experience with your general setup.

1) As far as heat dissipation and air flow, the Lanboy 1 case isn't all that great. I have one right now and can testify to that. This is especially the case with a hot processor like the overclocked 2500+. That's one of the reasons they made version 2 of this case. You should check it out on Antec's site.

2) The heatsink you currently have isn't all that great. I'd suggest an SLK800/900 series or a nice swiftech.

Fix those two issues and temps will not be a problem.

My two cents anyway :)

Yeah, LANboy 1 wasn't a terrific case for cooling, I'd recommend modding it with a 120mm blowhole on top and perhaps a side panel intake, also the Volanco series blows, but if the fan is good, you could pick up an SLK900u or an MCX462v for under 50 bucks and have a viable cooling solution.

yea i don't like the case enough to spend money on a drill, holesaw, and dremel ... i'd be better off getting a new case.

hmm time to start looking for a cheap case that has good cooling and a SLK900a

yea i don't like the case enough to spend money on a drill, holesaw, and dremel ... i'd be better off getting a new case.

buy the drill and the holesaw , then you can mod ANY case you buy or already own for years to come

Usually the first built computer is a mediocre success. I had similar success with my first built rig. I am greatly looking forward to the next one in a few years.

Back