My FarCry Screenshots

Brent_Justice

I'll post more as I complete each level.

Yes, i'm in God mode, I gotta get through the game pretty fast and find out the best places to use for testing video card performance and take screenshots for reviews, but I am still enjoying the game and killing all the bad guys, very fun game.

I'll just link the pictars since they are big.

This first batch farcry1.jpg - farcry9.jpg were taken at 1280x1024 NoAA every game setting as high as it will go and 4X AF selected from inside the game. I didn't have Fraps on, sorry. Video card is a 9800Pro.

I'm gonna run through the first two levels again but this time with 1024x768 and 2XAA to see how performance and image quality compares before I continue the game.

FarCry Shot 1

FarCry Shot 2

FarCry Shot 3 - As you can see things are reflecting off the water.

FarCry Shot 4

FarCry Shot 5

FarCry Shot 6

FarCry Shot 7

FarCry Shot 8 - Shiny torpedos, maybe a little too shiny considering they are suppose to be old and rusted?

FarCry Shot 9 - this effect is SWEET, you have to see it in person, its like a steam/heat effect

I agree, it's a very pretty game. Nice screen shots. 1024 x768 2xAA really taxed my system it seemed (I didnt have fraps so dont know the actual FPS) so I'm curious to see how you make out with it.

My specs:

P4 2.53
Intel D845PEBT2
1 gig Corsair PC3500
Dual Raptors in RAID 0
ATi Radeon 9800pro

Anyone else enjoying the cheezy, over the top, dialog?

nice shots :cool:

oh, and about the steam/heat effect, wait till you get to the last level, the Volcano Level

Very sweet my friend. I have been wondering what the rest of the game looked like, its quite spiffy.

My question as I've played through it has been about the textures. They seem very low quality (pixelly) and not bump mapped at all. Isn't this what a DX9 game is supposed to be about?

Originally posted by the@ntipop
My question as I've played through it has been about the textures. They seem very low quality (pixelly) and not bump mapped at all. Isn't this what a DX9 game is supposed to be about?

You are correct. But, think of it this way.

Quake III was a brand new game in its time. Take a look at Star Trek: Elite Force II, Quake III based. EF2 has models and textures MUCH higher quality than say Quake III where polygon count was low, and textures were small.

We've got dejavu all over again :) Far Cry is a next gen game, the current hardware just cant handle all the pixel shaders AND huge polygon count models AND huge textures and dont forget the bump map and specularity map textures that have to accompany it.

Come 5 years from now, We'll have hardware that can do insane amounts of pixel shaders and still have the complexity of UT2k4 for example.

:)

What was the command to get the trees to reflect in the water? I have my water set to Ultra-high, and the trees don't reflect...

Originally posted by Ashtaka
What was the command to get the trees to reflect in the water? I have my water set to Ultra-high, and the trees don't reflect...

I didn't use any commands. Everything in the Advanced video options in the games menu is set to Very High except for Water which is set to Ultra High. Basically the highest setting of all the options in the Advanced Video Menu.

Make sure you have Lighting Quality on Very High, that is the option that enables PS/VS 2.0 quality.

What kind of system does it take to run this game at 60 fps with everything on very high/ultra high? It (the demo) chugs a bit on my system, a 2500+ with 9700 Pro.

Originally posted by finalgt
What kind of system does it take to run this game at 60 fps with everything on very high/ultra high? It (the demo) chugs a bit on my system, a 2500+ with 9700 Pro.

good question, feel free to comment brent if you think differently, but from what i see, it seems to be cpu limited. So mabye an a643k+ or more with a gig of ram?? oh and r420?? :)

the game is of course limited by all of our hardware, but mostly by the video card I think.

going past 1024x768 I see a MAJOR drop in frame rates, im curious if my 128MB runs out there.

Stop teasing me :( . I have exams tomorrow and this isn't helping, I am on the verge of going out and buying it tonight.
Must resist....

with my 2000+ o/c to 2200+ (stupid paly core) and a 9600p 128MB (400/300 o/c to 515/324) I get at least 30fps or more on the monkey island mp map at 1024x7678 (no AA or AF) everything set to high. For in game fps display, the console command is \r_displayinfo 1
It shows other information as well, such as number of lights on the player and poly info. My roommate has a 2400+ and a 9700p and can't do much better, and I've read about performance and they point to a more cpu/memory limited than video card, but a lot of that accounts into the bot AI and such. I don't remember where I read all that stuff and I'm just doing a quick post to be informational about the fps command. I tried 1152 rez and took one hellva a hit too.
The effects are great. I do love that steam effect (Volanco area was great) and of course the little things like there is reflections on the eye pieces of scoped weapons. Gonna try that Lighting Quality on Very High, and see PS2.0 in action :D
Ya, the dialog is.....cheezy at best, but at least it isn't like Aquanox's voice acting *shivers*
Anyone seen a benchmarking type thing for Far Cry?

Is it me or does every pic I've seen of character skins look like they have been bathing in crisco? Whats with all the shiney skins?

Otherwise, looks to be nice new engine, can't wait to see what else can come from this thing. Next gen is an understatement.

Heh, I guess you could say they are sweating from the heat or suntan oil, but it just seems kinda funny to me. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. Although I'm sure in the other 10000000000 threads on this game this has been addressed, but there is only so much time in the day :p

any finished the game yet?

How long is it?

I'm sure the replay value is pretty good as there are many directions of completing tasks, and just playing around with the engine.

Originally posted by ds-
any finished the game yet?

How long is it?

I'm sure the replay value is pretty good as there are many directions of completing tasks, and just playing around with the engine.

the end is not possible

Originally posted by Spiff1333
More screens!!! :D

i took a few more tonight, but nothing REAL exciting yet, i finished the fort and pier levels, tomorrow is the research level and the next one, i'm doing 2 a night

i'll post what i took tonight, tomorrow

In one bunker I stood and stared at the wall. It looked amazing. And it was nothing more than concrete.

Also, I love the blood splatterings. Most notably, after a headshot and there's just a smear on the wall. And as for the player's looking as glazed as a McDonald's commercial burger, well, they're "twenty feet away from the equator." At least, that's what the mercenaries were saying. I would expect it to be hot. Perhaps the sheen is their sweat.

Sorry brent but your screenshots are ugly. The lack of AA hurts my eyes :p

I have a lot of Far Cry screenshots here if anyone cares to look and tons more on my HD. These are mostly early game so shouldn't be any real spoilers. http://smdb.krypt.com/images/farcry

my new wallpaper :p

FarCry0046.jpg

devnull, yeah.

btw, whats your sig from? thats totally familiar but i cant place it. :)

That's from Farscape... No I'm not a Scaper, but I will say that SciFi is a bunch of bastards.

-dB

Very nice screenies Brent, I'll deffinately have to make my way out to get this game soon after seeing these screenshots mixed with what everyone's saying about it being nearly perfect.

...and yes...Farscape is great.

Back