My Far Cry Review

NOTD665

Gawd
Here

Yes, it links to my site, but this is by no means "pimpage" (if I was interested in that, I would have made thread every time a new review went up, and clearly I didn't).

I just want everyone (or at least you guys) to realize this game really isn't The Second Coming. It's good, but stumbles in too many key areas.

Some nice screenshots up; sorry I couldn't keep them in full quality at 1280x1024, bandwidth constraints.

I agree pretty much spot-on with that review (i'm a little over an hour into it). The game, while pretty, is far from "the next Half Life" as I've seen it called. The story borders on Doom level drabness, the weapons are boring, and the enemies are uninspired; and as you keenly put it, have ridiculously good vision. Well, except when they're standing 6 inches from you, then they prefer to just be your buddy.

The only bright side in the gameplay department is the relative openess with which you can complete some of your objectives. For example when you have to reach the top of a giant boat (only to have to jump into a tiny boat) I gunned down everyone and everything whereas my friend high-tailed it and jumped off the darn thing. I hopped into the dingy whereas he shot the chains holding it up from the water.

I'd like the people who are shouting "GOTY!!!" to have their heads examined because sarcasm aside, Doom 3 and HL2 are coming out this year. I don't care who you are and what innovation you are touting, nothing will steal the crown from id or Valve. I'll give the small guy a chance, but it would take a miracle and 10 years to put together as well-versed of a game as the ones everyone seems to be chasing.

*buckles up for flameage*

I'd like the people who are shouting "GOTY!!!" to have their heads examined because sarcasm aside, Doom 3 and HL2 are coming out this year. I don't care who you are and what innovation you are touting, nothing will steal the crown from id or Valve. I'll give the small guy a chance, but it would take a miracle and 10 years to put together as well-versed of a game as the ones everyone seems to be chasing.

That's pretty big talk in support of products that don't exist.

FC has a shot at GOTY. At least it was released with a minimum of hype, with two demos, etc. Hell, it was released - that's where it is looking good compared to HL2, D3 and DNF. The gameplay, although getting long in the tooth, still holds up well. It looks great.

HL2 and D3 so far are all talk and tech. No game, yet - just "leaked" alphas, "stolen" code and lots of talk. Both at this point are vaporware, we might not see them this year, we might not see them at all.

Certainly by the time they are released (if at all) the tech wont be as exciting as it was, say, this time last year. After all the hype, expectations are so overblown that many people will conclude the games suck. (Full disclosure: I preorderd both HL2 and D3)

i remember last year abou this time, people saying hl2 would be goty because it was oficially scheduled for september or so.

now a year later, it is scheduled for "summer" at best guess, since there is no oficial word and people say it will be goty.

i agree it will be a good game, whether it will be great and innovative it remains to be seen, as we dont know exactly when its coming out and who knows what will be realeased in the meantime (stalker, doom3...) which will raise the bar.

Now class, pay attention. This is why we don't post reviews at 6:30 in the morning after getting five hours of sleep...

I also forgot an entire paragraph, which I didn't bother to change now.

Fixed, thanks. :p

Here's how I see it: Far Cry, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 will change the face of games for all time to come. Now, when I say face, I mean face; the game environments, physics engines, etc. will all be revolutionary, but right now (aside from Pandora Tomorrow, a bit I suppose), I've yet to see any title making drastic improvements in the area of gameplay.

Guess what guys? You've reached a new high in graphics. Try working on improving something else now.

Everyone seems to slag the story of this game. I happened to like it. It was somewhat parody like, and made me chuckle a few times. Not to mention jump out of my seat a few times (It can be rather "scary" at times too).

Now if memory serves me well, the story line in Half-Life wasn't OMG TEH MOVIE SCRIPTAR! either. It flaunted it's graphics (mainly it's wicked skeletal animation) around as well.

The thing is that both HL and FarCry , as I see it, have done something really well. You know what that is? Incorporating new technology to tell a story within a game, and to immerse YOU into that story.

Does FarCry have a perfect story? No, neither did Half-Life. Are both games fun as hell to play? Damn skippy.

FarCry is a giant leap in the right directions of gaming. It has ambiance, atmosphere, a pretty decent story (for a game), nice graphics, and gameplay that "feels" right. I never once felt like I wasn't in the game, crawling through jungles, and caves and what have you.

People tend to hold Half-Life as the holy grail of games. And yes, it was a VERY VERY good game. But it wasn't perfect, nor will any game ever be perfect.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

-- Playing through FC again on Realistic, should be fun :D

A lot of people are debating the game of the year but no one seems to mention Stalker. I've been following it's development fairly closely and it just keeps looking better and better. Check out the weapons demo on fileshack. Shows pretty good graphics along with nice physics.

AWESOME review, although you made me jealous by having the game AND beaten AND able to run it, anywho when i get another 512 stick of ram and 180 bucks i can run it =[

Seems that there I two camps on the game... Those people who are playing it and enjoying it and those who are being way more critical of the game than it needs to be.

It was never meant to be anything more than a basic shooter which makes things like an indepth story superfluous. Sure the gameplay is basic FPS fare... Which I happen to still enjoy. And what is up with the bitching about the save system? I didn't have any trouble with the save system... People are totally whining unecessarily. I found the saves to be well timed and in reasonable places. I havent once ran into a spot that I had to play more than a couple of times that didn't have a save point right before it.

And what is up with your helicopter trouble? Take out the gunner, you're done... Less than one clip. Then you run into Crow...

I totally think that the people who are critisizing the game were expecting way too much. It's a game people. It happens to be a good one. No it's nothing original, it doesn't have a great story. But it is a damn fine shooter built in new places on one damn fine looking engine.

Just shut up and have fun. :D :p

-dB

The problem with STALKER is it´s graphics engine is so demanding they have to wait to release it until computers are out that handle it. STALKERS game engine aren´t produced to offer the great visibility of Far Crys at reasonable frame rates ;)

And I don´t see how people can be so sure Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will be such big hits. Come on you bash Far Cry for only being graphics what is then Doom 3 :confused:

And Half Life 2 the Half Life story isn´t impressive at all by todays standards so what say that will be so great? Valve haven´t delivered in what 5 years?

Originally posted by loop
How do you know how demanding the Stalker engine is?

Screenshots and hype articles and in game videos ;) The prettier the more demanding there is no exception to that rule just look at Far Cry and LOMAC ;)

I think stalker is probally less demanding than Far cry.

Mainly because it's more gritty looking, without all the bump mapping out the wazoo, etc .

I fall into the camp of liking the game. It is challenging and a good change of pace from most of what we have out.

Maybe people that do not like it are frustrated with it. I know it does get frustrating in parts. But damn why spend 50 bucks to whip through a game with ease?

As for the Helecopters like the other guy said, take out the gunner and you are set.

If not anything, at least it caused a buzz in the community, that is more than a lot of games have going for them.

(four if you count rocks, because every action game hero needs to be able to throw rocks; maybe the bad guys will die from the bruises)

By the way, the rocks you carry around are for distraction. Throw it, they investigate, you come up behind and knife kill.

It is statements like that that make me think he wrote a hasty, one-sided review.

Rocks are a MUST use on the higher difficulties, you can entirely bypass patrols with some well placed rocks :).

They are there for a reason, use em :).

Btw, this game on realistic is BLOODY hard, and yet rewarding to play. Having a really good time crawling through the jungle, picking off people one by one, or sneaking through undetected.

Originally posted by DevilMan
I fall into the camp of liking the game. It is challenging and a good change of pace from most of what we have out.

Maybe people that do not like it are frustrated with it. I know it does get frustrating in parts. But damn why spend 50 bucks to whip through a game with ease?

As for the Helecopters like the other guy said, take out the gunner and you are set.

If not anything, at least it caused a buzz in the community, that is more than a lot of games have going for them.

By the way, the rocks you carry around are for distraction. Throw it, they investigate, you come up behind and knife kill.

It is statements like that that make me think he wrote a hasty, one-sided review.

Was going to say the same thing when I read that. I can make it through just about the whole demo w/o firing a gun, just a lot of running around w/ the knife and distractions by throwing the rocks. Also, a good way to flush enemies from hiding spots. They start firing at where you threw the rock and usually come out from their cover.

I personally like the game. I really don't expect any FPS to have a great story line as long as the gameplay is fun, which it is.

Originally posted by Stiler

Mainly because it's more gritty looking, without all the bump mapping out the wazoo, etc .

Hope you are right. And it´s fabulously looking too :D

Originally posted by Stanley Pain
Rocks are a MUST use on the higher difficulties, you can entirely bypass patrols with some well placed rocks :).

They are there for a reason, use em :).

Btw, this game on realistic is BLOODY hard, and yet rewarding to play. Having a really good time crawling through the jungle, picking off people one by one, or sneaking through undetected.

Yes I must say I am really really impressed by this game. Have only played it for 40 minutes perhaps. May be longer times runs away when you are having fun :D

But I can´t believe what performance I am guetting with all the eyecandy on. Far Cry is a really well optimized game. And the gameplay is awesome.

I am playing it on challenging and don´t have any trouble so far but will see what happens later.

This game sure seem to have a lot of replayability. I mean you can have as fun hiding in the jungle watching the wild life as hunting on the beaches :D

Yes, I realize that you need to take the guys out of the helicopter. I liken it to the Cliff Racers from Morrowind; both fly through the air, aren't difficult to take down, and are thoroughly obnoxious.

Originally posted by DevilMan

Its statements like those that make me think no one in the world has a sense of humour anymore. I know plenty about distraction in games. I most often prefer playing Thief or Splinter Cell over a shooter.

This review wasn't one sided at all, quite the contrary. I wrote it in contrast to all the other truly one-sided accounts that thought this game was the best thing since sliced bread. I, unlike the majority of others, was being critical; not on purpose because I wanted to stir up anger, but because it's the truth.

After reading most of the "reveiws" posted here, which are all trivial IMO, I wonder just what does everyone expect from a game? At this point in FPS games what could a developer possibly do to please everyone? What storyline hasnt been told a hundred times over in the last 15 years that would set a FPS apart from any other?

To me the story is just as interesting as HL story was 5 years ago. The big thing separating HL and FarCry for me is the tropical setting which is different from most other FPS. I guess I am just glad for the break from the usual WW2 themed FPS of late.

NOTD665, its obvious you did not like it. I could care less. What it boils down to is you did not like the game. I did not like your review. I can live with that.

Originally posted by uB3rn00b3r
Now all the develepers are gonna whore out vietnam.

Far cry is about as close to vietnam as Duke nukem is to world war II.

Far cry is about as close to vietnam as Duke nukem is to world war II.

He was referring to the ww 2 fps like medal of honour and Call of Duty and that Far Cry was a refreshing step away from that ;)

I have to agree not often do we have to break heaven on paradise Islands.

Originally posted by tylerhskate
AWESOME review, although you made me jealous by having the game AND beaten AND able to run it, anywho when i get another 512 stick of ram and 180 bucks i can run it =[

use that 180 to get a 9600pro... then you will be able to play it.

It is possible but, like I care. By the time they release it I will have a new rig. I believe a A64 939 and, whatever the new cards will be, can handle it.

This game is not hardware demanding at all.

A buddy of mine is playing it on an [email protected], ti4200 64MB and 1 gig ram @ pretty high settings and it looks and plays fantastic. I almost didn't believe him until i went over to see for myself. While his system is strong in certain areas like ram and 200fsb, his 64 meg ti4200 isn't exactly awe-inspiring.

Nice to know this game doesn't leave all 3D cards in the dust.

FarCry is one sweet looking & playing game, I can't wait till i see it on a 9800 :)

Edit: grammar

Con's:
-Uninspired story, and awful, one-liner voice acting
-Repetitive and mundane gameplay
-Can be painfully frustrating and difficult at parts

- My take on the story is that it's meant to be a spoof/mockery of your typical Hollywood-style action movie and I think it works. Atleast it has given me many a good laugh.

- It's a First Person Shooter, of course there's going to be repetition in gameplay.

- "Painfully frustrating" equates to challenging gameplay so I think that comment should be modified and shifted to the Pro's column.

The review linked in this thread comes across as way too hyper-critical. I followed this game since the first movie released. They've managed to beat the more prominent developers (ID & Valve) to the table with a original, immersive and enjoyable single player experience.

_Siph

Originally posted by Siphilon
I followed this game since the first movie released. They've managed to beat the more prominent developers (ID & Valve) to the table with a original, immersive and enjoyable single player experience.
Any truth to the 'rumor' that its a german based company that made the game and that its been in development for almost 5 years?

Originally posted by SJetski71
Any truth to the 'rumor' that its a german based company that made the game and that its been in development for almost 5 years?

don't know about the maker, but I remember the crytek demo that featured a dinosaur and a village that the camera panned through....it was some time ago though...maybe 2-3 years ago...or maybe it wasn't so long ago, but I seem to remember running that demo on my brand spanking new GF3 Ti-200 and my Gf2MX. (Made those cards run home to momma)

This is coming from someone who came close to finishing HL (got to the alien world before quitting). While I enjoyed most of HL, it certainly had its share of problems. Storyline was meh, most of it took place in the same boring underground, the platform jumping in some levels was way over done, etc…

Fry Cry is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. The visuals are stunning, the AI while not perfect is decent and creates a challenge (I can’t remember a FPS being this challenging). With the 1.1 patch, MP has improved greatly and is a blast in my opinion, although it’s hard to find a server that has teams that try to cooperate to win the map objectives.

I don’t know if this game will make GOTY if HL2 and D3 actually make it out this year and live up to the hype, but it most certainly deserves at least an honorable mention.

I don't know about that. I've heard about that Crytek video with the dinosaur, I think it was some type of benchmark app or something. But that's beside the point, they didn't prematurely hype their game the way Valve has.

_Siph

After playing throught the entire SP and reading this "reveiw" I cant help but wonder if the person that did the reveiw played the entire game before writing. Not only was the story line bashed (which I thought was pretty good) but then it goes on to bash the game for being a FPS game. I dont remember a FPS released that wasnt shoot everything blocking your path to acheive objective. Its one thing to not like a genre of game. When doing a reveiw however you should learn to put your preferences aside or just dont do the reveiw.

The game is simply one of th ebest games to come out in a LONG time IMO and i couldnt have asked for more. Im a HUGE HL fan, and FarCry = HL IMO. It just takes you into a world, keeps you there (though you dont wanna leave so thats ok) and gies you one hell of a ride. Many kudos to Crytek. It should be noted im only on the "boats" level.

Originally posted by NOTD665
Yes, I realize that you need to take the guys out of the helicopter. I liken it to the Cliff Racers from Morrowind; both fly through the air, aren't difficult to take down, and are thoroughly obnoxious.

Its statements like those that make me think no one in the world has a sense of humour anymore. I know plenty about distraction in games. I most often prefer playing Thief or Splinter Cell over a shooter.

This review wasn't one sided at all, quite the contrary. I wrote it in contrast to all the other truly one-sided accounts that thought this game was the best thing since sliced bread. I, unlike the majority of others, was being critical; not on purpose because I wanted to stir up anger, but because it's the truth.

so basically you took a stance against those people that say that the game was the best thing since slice bread, and you went the other way?

your review is not the truth, its your opinion which is another thing.

far cry its a pretty good game, with really great graphics,i personally havent played a game with this much detail into the graphics before, now if you play this game in a low end card and have the details set to low etc. you wont notice that.

this game in my opinion is pretty cool as it is not as linear as other games you have different path to choose.

"-Can be painfully frustrating and difficult at parts"
everybody has their own ideas of what is fun and what is not, maybe you should have played it in a less demanding setting?
for me there is nothing better than a difficult or hard to beat game.

one thing i love about this game is that you cant be a rambo, you have to calculate how you are going to attack, if you are going to, or if you are going to try to make a run for it, or go stealth. etc.

the ai is not perfect, but i havent ever played a game where the ai moved so much, or that they would try to flank me, its not perfect. but its an improvement.

i do hate the one-liner voice acting.

It can get frustrating having to reload the same damned check point over and over again.

Most of them are placed perfectly.. but some are terribly done, like right before a room with 2 guys with good cover, then you gotta go up a huge spiral full of super body armoured baddies before you can get to the next check point..... so it makes it that you are clearing that same damned room, over and over and over again!!

Back