My External Seagate HDD has a 5 pointed security screw, need to remove drive..

caffiendo

n00b
I have a Seagate external HDD and I would like to take the drive out to recover the data (if possible). The external case is held together by a few five pointed machine screw with a small pin in the middle. It is almost exactly like a Torx security bit, but with 5 points.

does anyone have any idea on where to get a bit that would fit this? I've tried searching but can't find anything with a five point.

This is a crude drawing of the screw head, but maybe you can get the idea.

securitybit.jpg

That's a Torx Plus tamper-resistant screw, that 5 pointed version is hard to come by. I got my set from ebay, since to purchase them new/from a retailer you have to have proof you work for a OEM or are a certified tech that needs a set of them, pretty highly controlled drivers.

I bought my Security Tip set from Fry's. Very useful for these kinds of things.

tdg is correct, the bits you all are recommending are Torx Security which are 6-point and very common. Seagate external HD cases have started using the 5-point style as the OP displayed. See here.

Specifically I bought:

Wiha Quality Tools
Security Bits Collector

It has 39 pieces and includes a screwdriver handle with extender and magnetic tip.

See:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3919778

The should have them at Sears as well.$9.99. They also have a larger set that contains the bits, but I couldn't find it on the website.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...cal=TOOL&subcat=Drill+Bits&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Neither of those contain Torx Plus bits (5 point vs 6 point)
Fixed Link
Was the cheapest I could find, and it doesn't look like they ask for anything.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you'll notice, the link text and the link destination are actually different
:eek:
I noticed that I had posted the wrong link and went back and fixed it, I thought...
Sigh

The correct link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't need the shell you can get the drive out. Took me about an hour to do it but I did it. I received a 750GB External drive from my seagate rma of a 300GB drive and decided to rip the drive out of the shell and put it into my PC. Works like a dream.

I do know how to do so if you want me to tell you. Otherwise it takes a lot of patience and a lot of prying at the right areas.

I got one out with a drill press while waiting on the bits. Just drill the heads right off. :D

B0006FS1Z0.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_AA90_.jpg

So can one of you confirm, are these latest Seagate external drives SATA or PATA inside? I just got the 300GB Firewire/USB and would like to pull it and swap with my existing SATA internal drive. Thanks much for any info.

We had to do one of those at work and didnt need the screw back. I just broke the middle out with a screw driver and then just used a small straight screw driver to un screw it. It took awhile but worked.

We had to do one of those at work and didnt need the screw back. I just broke the middle out with a screw driver and then just used a small straight screw driver to un screw it. It took awhile but worked.

nice, thats the smart way of doing it

Menards has these for bit tips i know for sure, as i bought size 8tx security torx bit. They had a ton of other sizes available also, might want to try there. 2.58 mine costed.

For those who need to know, the actual bit size needed to take out the 5 point TORX Security Plus screw in most Seagate external drives is size TP10.

If you don't want to waste the money and the effort to find these bits, all you really need is a 2.0 x 65mm flat head screwdriver (or something close). This allows you to very easily remove the screws without having to break the pins out of the middle or damage the rest of the case. It took me less than a minute.

You can find 2.0 x 65mm flat head screwdrivers at most good hardware stores or at http://www.wihatools.com/.

it's called a penta-plus screw and you can not buy the bit anywhere unless you work for seagate. (which I do) The HD has a T-8 size torx but whatever you do, DO NOT EVER remove the screw behind the front label of the drive.

With these "security" drivers, is there any particular reason (except from bits of flying metal, maybe mask the drive with tape and paper) not to attack the top with a Dremel and undo it with an old fashioned flathead driver?

B0006FS1Z0.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_AA90_.jpg

So can one of you confirm, are these latest Seagate external drives SATA or PATA inside? I just got the 300GB Firewire/USB and would like to pull it and swap with my existing SATA internal drive. Thanks much for any info.
The 300gb I opened up was PATA.

I also used a small flathead to unscrew it :p

Back