my external drive toaster doesnt see 1tb--but sees 80gb

Have you mounted the 1Tb in the system, to make sure it works? Assuming we know the drive works, I bet it could be that it is a USB adaptor possibly? Sorry, I got nuthing ;) Maybe some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in for ya, free bump at any rate.

If you haven't used the drive yet at all it's probably not formatted and is just unpartitioned space. As said stick it in a computer and go to disk management to format if need be.

thanks

put it in my sytem

my sytem doesnt see it

doa?

argh----if so!

Did you go to disk management? If in Windows go to Start->Run and then "diskmgmt.msc". The driveshould show up there.

I have Vista

start run, I dont see.

I should go thru a vista training course!

can you tell me how to get to the run prompt?

al

Start, control panel, admin tools, computer management, disk management
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ahh sorry, I'm used to the classic menu on Vista. You also go to start and then type "run" as well to get there as well.

no see the drive-y drive!

argh....

hmmmmm.....might swithc it with a drive ( I have 2 in the system when I bought it ) that I knwo works....

sheez! this computign stuff is annoying! hehehehehe

If you haven't used the drive yet at all it's probably not formatted and is just unpartitioned space. As said stick it in a computer and go to disk management to format if need be.

I think it is this....

so I am in disk manager, and there is an option thru properties (or somthing) called "new simple volume wizard"

format to NTFS

sound correct?

al

so here is the deal....

I got a 500 gb cavaiar blue....(dont ask) today from staples

I gave up on the 1 TB black for now.

so, I got a new second wind, and I started playing with the 500gb blue....
I took one of my drives (the xps has two 500gb blues) out, and put my staples WD blue in there.
first, took out the zero drive. oops! cant do that!....took out the 1 drive ..which was the data drive....and replaced it with the WD staples blue.

Then , went into the disk management, and kinda figured out that the drive needed to be formated.

it took about 90 mins, but, it did format. YAY! I see 465 gb....formated NTFS style.

so, thanks for the help. I guess new drives need to be formatted. Who Knew?

Lol, glad you got your problem figured out. We have some GREAT guys posting here for FREE even !!!! They have helped me countless times.

Back