My EVGA 2080ti Black Edition Died after Just two days!

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by OutlawXGP, Dec 24, 2018.

1. OutlawXGP

OutlawXGP [H]Lite

My EVGA 2080ti Black Edition artifacting and crashing with every single game today, Its been two days since I received the card. I purchased it on this of 19ths December and it arrived on the 22nd. It seemed to work fine the first two days but all the issues started this evening when I try to play some Just Cause 4. I also tested some Assassin Creed Odyssey and Battlefield 5 and the exact same thing happens. Even No Mans Sky is Artifacting.

I Have no overclock applied to it what so ever, all the settings are at default and I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers using DDU twice, as you can see from the videos above it has heavy artifacting which leads into a crash as soon the game starts.

Just Cause 4:
    https://imgur.com/a/zAfc7qf

Just Cause 4 Youtube:

No Mans Sky:

Unigine valley:

Time Spy:

My spec:
    Intel i9 9900k
    Corsair DDR4 32GB 3200Mhz RAM
    ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 Motherboard
    LEADEX PLATINUM 1000W FULLY MODULAR 80 PLUS PLATINUM (I am using 2 Independent PCI-E 8 Pin power cables from different connections on the PSU also.)
    SSD Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

I knew the 2080tis were having problems but I did not expect them to be this bad, Now I'm left with Intel HD graphics, This really sucks!

2. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

This kind of reminds me when my card went. The night before, 3 hr gaming session. The day of, just kinda went into crazy artifacts within 5 mins of gaming. At first just crashes to desktop, but with each successive attempt to run a 3d application, it just got worse and worse until no post situation. I got maybe 1-2 weird lines on the desktop but no space invaders. Had lots of "flickering" in desktop, it happened quick tbh.

3. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle will buy it from you I think.

4. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Limp Gawd

it's kind of sad that AMD builds better VRMs and boards into $400 video cards than Nvidia does in $1200 cards.

5. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Sell it to Kyle, might help uncover some very interesting stuff for an article he is writing.

AceGoober and Maddness like this.
  6. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

Makes me wonder if the black $999 edition are "lower binned" chips, which doesn't bode well for a design flaw chip to begin with.

Legendary Gamer likes this.
  7. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

I had the same problem with my first two EVGA Black 2080Ti's, the third one is flawless... so far. I never OC'ed any of them. I think it's just weeding out the "test escapes" because initial cards were likely the bottom of the barrel of binned cards. I, MIGHT, have finally gotten one that.... actually... works. As I have said in other threads, I am awaiting this card to shit the bed, however, I hope it only wets the bed ;)

Dec27 update: Got my first screen flickering today and some artifacting along with a nosedive in FPS and some stutter / choppy video... Dammit!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  8. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

I think he wanted FE cards, but maybe he'll go AIB.
    Yeah that's kind of a crazy thing to learn about Vega, from 56 to the FE, they all have the same high quality VRMs.

N4CR likes this.
  9. Legendary Gamer

That was my conclusion as well.

10. Legendary Gamer

Third card is... Kinda stable after a BIOS update that they apparently released recently. No more screen flickering. Doing more testing tonight. I'm not sure if I'm hanging on to it at this point given how many headaches it's given me... But I might tough it out if the damn thing keeps working.

11. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

nVIdia really flopped on this card. I really want to get one but am VERY hesitant. I was hoping that the AIB partners released stable variants but reports like this thread are whats keeping me from wanting to do it now. I hope for the best but I am not sure these RTX cards are worth it given their current reputation for failure.

12. Legendary Gamer

I would like to believe that most of the problems are gone. If this latest BIOS update is any indication, looks like the Microcode update weeded out 99% of the problems I was having. That's not to say the boards don't have flaws, it's just saying that the BIOS on them manages to work around the issues. The card didn't flop from a business standpoint. That's the thing, this is their new flagship and it's established that people are willing to pay more for the Nvidia brand. I can't speak for anyone else, because there are plenty of people on here with good experiences. All I know is I have lost faith in this generation of processor. I have spent too much damn time chasing down possibilities to solutions for the card. Every possible configuration, a new computer, replaced damn near everything... even against my own urge not to. I knew it was the damn card the entire time, just proving it is difficult unless you do all the testing. I'm pretty exhausted of doing it to be honest. I honestly thought I had 5 RMAs in me, but EVGA is just gonna keep sending me other RMA'ed boards and I'm going just get more and more pissed.

I'm not going to buy another 2000 series board, no way in hell, after this experience. I would say there's a pretty damn good chance you won't see a problem at this point. It's beautiful when it works.

I think Nvidia succeeded, in almost every possible way. With every step teaching them how to navigate people and AIBs.

The Founders Edition Boards introduced with the 1000 series was a step to see if people would pay a premium for an entry level board with a custom Nvidia shroud, and we all did.

Their Branding program damn near had all vendors in the market only labeling Nvidia boards as gaming boards. We know what the [H] did to blow that story open, however, I think Nvidia gave up on that plan when they saw AIB partners inventing new brands so they could launch AMD's products. It didn't succeed in killing AMD. They failed here. But they learned from it.

They introduced a massively invasive NDA, that's why we don't see anything in the market about board failures. This was a big win for them.

The 2000 series has a flaw, and the NDA protects them from damn near any exposure.

The 2000 series also saw a massive price hike over the previous generation and we shell out the cash for these cards. It didn't stop me when I ordered one. It hurt my bottom line, but I still bought the card. We can expect the next generation to be just as costly if not more expensive yet again. We will pay for that card too, if there's no competition.

N4CR likes this.
  13. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I space invadered one 2080 Ti FE but the replacement has been fine. I also bought an EVGA 2070 and it’s been flawless.

The FE has been used with an LG ultra wide and also an LG OLED that’s 4K. Aside from the space invaders it has been every bit as good as my 1080Ti except faster.

The 2070 has been used with an older Dell 27 via DisplayPort.

Edit: Nvidia used FedEx Priority Overnight with a brand new card for my failed item.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Solhokuten likes this.
  14. Legendary Gamer

Some of us have had experiences with failed video cards, just like the title of this thread. So, regardless it all comes down to a personal willingness to roll the dice. Chances are the cards purchased now will work well... However, I'm no oracle for the odds of that.

If you go by what brentsg says, you should purchase your card directly from Nvidia. You know, because you're gonna get faster shipping for your replacement if/when your 2080Ti purchase shits the bed.

15. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

That's not what I said. I merely stated what happened to me, both with my cards.. the displays that I have used them with, and with my Nvidia experience. That's all I've got.. of course can't guarantee that will be what others experience. It's just another data point. I thought it important to share, just as Kyle did when NV shipped him new product quickly.

They may stop that 6 Tuesdays from now or never, but my experience was the best RMA experience that I've had to date.

16. Legendary Gamer

The fact that so many of us have had to RMA these damned video cards in the first place is troubling. Nothing about this product release inspires confidence in the product not failing.

I wish I had that image someone posted on here about these boards being branded Nvidia RMA, it just works... Lol.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    {NG}Fidel likes this.
  17. spine

spine 2[H]4U

That's ok, I took the initiative and made a fresh one: :smuggrin:

RMA - It's On.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  18. Legendary Gamer

This is exactly what the doctor ordered!

19. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn't touch a 2000 series card no matter the price for now, just way to many failures and I like to hold on to my video cards for a few years.

20. Lastan010

Lastan010 [H]Lite

I think Turing architecture needs to be on 7nm to work correctly, having too many transistors on 12-14nm is just asking for trouble.

21. Legendary Gamer

Well, I'm stuck. I was about to send the card back but between EVGA essentially telling me I had to pay a 15%restock fee, the shipping and the fact the damn 3rd card I got from them started functioning 98-99% correctly .... I'm just going to sit on it. I know where most of the issues occur now and it's running stable (for now).

Other than the fact I have one, I agree with everything you just said ;)

22. Legendary Gamer

If there is a flaw in early silicon, doesn't matter what process node it was fabbed on. The issues will be there at 7 or even 5nm. They will likely have it all sorted by 7 tho.

23. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger 3.5GB GTX 970 Slayer

I love it!

24. tpatnode

tpatnode n00bie

I just got the 2080ti Black as well and I am not impressed. I know it's a total gamble if this card is even going to work into next week and for the cost this should not be happening.

Sidenote, how are your guy's overclocks? I'm thoroughly disappointed.

25. Legendary Gamer

I screwed around a bit with my overclocks but I was far from aggressive. I kicked the memory up 400 MHz and the boost clock up by 180. I played with that at 100% fan speed for about 2 days. It was stable but my gains were minimal. I dropped it back down shortly afterwards.

The stock card is 25-35% faster than my old 1080Ti, that's good enough for this old man ;)