"My Documents" on another hard drive, should I back up anyway - installing Windows 8?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Anyone here have tips for upgrading to Windows 8? Or at least have a link to some decent tips?

BACKGROUND

Disk 0:

I currently have Windows 7 and my Steam directory on the same disk.
Windows 7 is on a 100GB partition and Steam is on a 900GB partition.

Disk 1:

All of my downloads, documents, user settings have been moved to a second disk.
So the Windows "My Documents" folders and sub folders are actually on a second hard drive.

Installing Windows 8

Is there an easy to install Windows 8 without having to backup all of the documents?
I have like 40gb of stuff in the "My Documents" folders.

Will a clean install wipe-out the "My Documents" folders if they are on a separate drive/partition?

Thanks

Anyone here have tips for upgrading to Windows 8? Or at least have a link to some decent tips?

So the Windows "My Documents" folders and sub folders are actually on a second hard drive.

I don't have the answer to your big question, but I would like to point out a potential issue.

I think that My Documents is only a subset of all the "background" info that Windows has about your userID. If you lose that data, does that affect the contents of My Documents?

Sorry to answer a question with another question.

BACKGROUND

Disk 0:

I currently have Windows 7 and my Steam directory on the same disk.
Windows 7 is on a 100GB partition and Steam is on a 900GB partition.

Disk 1:

Installing Windows 8

Is there an easy to install Windows 8 without having to backup all of the documents?
I have like 40gb of stuff in the "My Documents" folders.

Will a clean install wipe-out the "My Documents" folders if they are on a separate drive/partition?

Thanks

No, but the best thing to do is to disconnect all drives except the one to which you are installing the OS. You can reconnect the other drive later and remap the My Documents folder.

I don't have the answer to your big question, but I would like to point out a potential issue.

I think that My Documents is only a subset of all the "background" info that Windows has about your userID. If you lose that data, does that affect the contents of My Documents?

Sorry to answer a question with another question.

I don't know either. Sorry.

No, but the best thing to do is to disconnect all drives except the one to which you are installing the OS. You can reconnect the other drive later and remap the My Documents folder.

That's a good idea. I will probably do that just to be safe. Never thought of that. Thanks.

Installing Windows will not wipe out My Documents if it is on another drive even if you format C: during install, I tested it so I know, additionally if you do a custom install without formatting, all directories that Windows replaces (users, program files, windows, etc.) will be moved to \Windows.old - that's how I usually do it, then I just move/copy whatever I need from the Windows.old directory back over to the new locations. You kind of have to know what you're doing more do to that though, so probably just unplugging the additional hard drives is best if you don't.

You can use USMT (user state migration tool) to backup your settings. It can also copy My documents folder but since you already did that you can skip it.

Back