My DIR-655 is on its last leg...need a new router help.

Visable-assassin

I <3 Hybrids
Having a slew of issues with this thing and it's about tI'm to kill it and get a new one. While I'd love to have an ASUS RT-86 it isn't in the budget. So with that said I'd like to stay under 100 bucks 8 possible. I do like my Dlink stuff and have been eye balling a DGL-5500 on Amazon as its in my price range but i dunno yet.
Suggestions guys? However if I bust.outside of my 100.budget and spring a little.biy...would an ASUS RT-AC66 OR RT-AC68 be a better choice? Yes I plan on some gaming, streaming etc. But it seems the AC66 and AC68 are close in price. ..would the 68 be the better bet?

Last edited:
TP-Link TL-WDR3600, TL-WDR4300, Archer C5 (v1 only), Archer C7 (v2 only)
Possibly Buffalo WSR-1166DD (dual core 8800Mhz MIPS), not sure about the OpenWRT support but I think its fine. I don't know however the state of wifi on the Buffalo, I think 2.4GHz is fine while 5Ghz is work in progress. The TP-Links all works fine with OpenWRT, the 11ac routers being slightly faster.

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/43244/trunk/target/linux/ramips/dts

If you want something rock solid, go with the WDR3600 or WDR4300. Very mature platforms and stable.

//Danne

Last edited:
I have looked at the C7, sad to say I'm not super familiar with TP Link stuff. I am still seriously thinking the asus ac68u.
Any experience with these two units dizz?

No idea, haven't touched any Broadcom based 11ac hardware as I'm more leaning towards open source support (OpenWRT and similar), probably fine I guess but its a bit old. As for performance the Buffalo routers should be the best among those mentioned as they have a more powerful SoC.
//Danne

Back