My Dell 3007 looked like this coming out from sleep mode...

mutant

Limp Gawd
So I have a 3-5 month old Dell 3007. Absolutely pleased with it and no problems but yesterday when I came back to work and moved the mouse to bring the monitor back to life the monitor came out of sleep/standby mode and looked like this (attached image). It's as if only the middle band of backlight came ON and the other stayed OFF or dim.

I waited 1 minutes and it stayed like that so I switched the screen OFF and then ON and everything was absolutely 100% fine and still is. Should I be worried or put it down to one of those random hardware things? Any views/advice?

Btw I have 5 year hardcore warranty on it :p

30.jpg

That can't be a good thing and if it happens once it will happen again....and maybe none of the backlighting will come on. :eek: Use that hardcore warranty asap!

joemama said:
That can't be a good thing and if it happens once it will happen again....and maybe none of the backlighting will come on. :eek: Use that hardcore warranty asap!

Damn I did not want to hear that :mad: Do they send one before taking the old one back? I don't want to be wïthout a screen! Will they send a brand new one or used one? Any idea?

Yeah, if and when you ever need to return a monitor to Dell. They send out a new one to you, then once you receive it, you send out the bad monitor to them.

well you said you have a 5 year warranty? i'd wait until it happens more until it starts to bother you. Don't forget you may get a worse one! one with worser defects happening after you get it.

Kherozene said:
well you said you have a 5 year warranty? i'd wait until it happens more until it starts to bother you. Don't forget you may get a worse one! one with worser defects happening after you get it.

Yes I have full 5 year next working day warranty. I have a feeling that it was a one off and could have been just a software glitch between the interaction of the OS with the screen and nothing to do with the hardware. Ok I am clueless. I have nothing to loose by waiting few more days.

jeeze... that seems like a lotta work for just a one time problem....

If it got to be persistant, then I would exchange it, but otherwise it wouldn't be worth the time for me.

careful though! dell's return policy on those LCDs is if the screen is being returned within 30 days of the purchase, they will exchange it for a brand new screen, but if it is after 30 days, you will get a refurb NO MATTER WHAT!

imho it is totally unacceptable to have such an expensive panel like this having this problem when it is only a couple of months old.
If you speak to a supervisor and explain how unhappy you are etc and ask nicely for a brand new panel to be sent instead of a refurb, then I'm sure they will oblige.
After all I don't think any company wants an unhappy customer.
I speak from experience by the way.
Good Luck !

If you wait and Dell switches to selling PVA/MVA 30" monitors, you might be screwed. You could wait until they switch, and then utilize your warranty so that you'd get a refurbished S-IPS, and then choose between yours and the refurbished one on which to keep. ;)

It's definitely a monitor hardware problem. A software glitch couldn't cause 1 of the 3 lights in the back to engage. Your picture makes it look like florescent lights are used for the backlight, and sometimes ceiling florescent lights don't turn on on the first try.

Crap happened again :mad: Seems to happen when left unattended for few hours. What a downer! :mad: Switching the monitor ON and OFF solves the problem but this ain't RIGHT!
I want a new one I will fight tooth and nail for it! You really think they will switch from S-IPS to something else?

Maybe I should have gone with Apple 30" :rolleyes: They only give 1 year warranty though.

mutant said:
Crap happened again :mad: Seems to happen when left unattended for few hours. What a downer! :mad: Switching the monitor ON and OFF solves the problem but this ain't RIGHT!
I want a new one I will fight tooth and nail for it! You really think they will switch from S-IPS to something else?

Maybe I should have gone with Apple 30" :rolleyes: They only give 1 year warranty though.
I told you it would happen again. ;) That really is a bummer though...

You are right plus I am sure that it's only a matter of time before the tube light :p stops coming ON :D Might take one month or 1 year but I am sure the tube light will eventually fail. Should not have gone with Dell! I was planning on buying a 2nd 30". The positive side out of all this is that I can have two on my desk temporarily....so I can test if I really want two of them :p

Apple uses the same panel right? But with their own tube light/back light?

mutant said:
You are right plus I am sure that it's only a matter of time before the tube light :p stops coming ON :D Might take one month or 1 year but I am sure the tube light will eventually fail. Should not have gone with Dell! I was planning on buying a 2nd 30". The positive side out of all this is that I can have two on my desk temporarily....so I can test if I really want two of them :p

Apple uses the same panel right? But with their own tube light/back light?
Don't buy the Apple. The HP LP3065 was released yesterday and has WAY better specs, and it's cheaper of course. I'm waiting for the reviews to come out.

So I spoke to Dell and he wanted to give me a refurbished one...I was not having it. So the supervisor will call me back. Let's see what happens. I want a brand new one PERIOD!

Could someone confirm that all current Dell 30" are S-IPS?

Yes if I buy a 2nd 30" in the future it won't be an Apple..too bloody expensive and yes the HP looks promising. Christmas time should be interesting.

If the web site says S-IPS, then they're still S-IPS. If you get one that isn't, just return it again and specify S-IPS.

Keep in mind that the 'refurbs' aren't really something you should wake up screaming about. Considering the problems Dell has with these monitors, knowing the display's been re-opened and checked out by an engineer should actually make you feel more at ease. And again, if it still sucks, return it. I'm sure with 30" monitors marketed to extremely avid gamers and graphics professionals, they expect customers to be a little anal about them.

I had spoken to Dell on Friday 9am and today is tuesday 1pm. No one has phoned me back yet!

Edit- They called back and they were nice. Refurb is what I will get but like the guy said I have nothing to loose with 5 year warranty. If anything goes wrong I will get a brand new one.

Back