my delid adventure and thanks to everyone

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
much of this largely came about thanks to the past help of a few members here. thank you very much, i finally got things sorted out here.

bit of background. i'm running a skylake i5 6600k i got several years ago. i'm odd in that i like to run my hardware into the ground firmly before i upgrade. that means overclocking the shit out of it to prolong its life.it's getting close to end of life, so now is the time to push it hard.

i did the delid some time ago and used AC MX-5 and some RTV silicone to reattach the heatspreader. didn't really see any change. moderate overclock on water and i was seeing some horrible temperatures - around 100ºC when stressed hard with prime95. upgraded the waterblock (long story there) and i managed to bring the temps down to around the 80ºC mark, maybe brief peaks at 85. still not great and i was unable to push it any further for fear of burning it out. seemed strange since my GPU won't break 53ºC on water and overclocked to stupid.

well i learned a couple things. first, silicone is a terrible choice to reattach the heatspreader. its too thick and increases the gap between the it and the CPU. second, a small surface area like that needs something better than some old MX-5 i've had sitting around for god knows how many years. i got some thermal grizzly conductonaut. never tried the liquid metal before, so it was interesting to say the least. reattached with super glue this time since it's much thinner.

and WOW! it's like a totally different cpu. haven't touched my settings yet, but sure will soon. that same prime95 test....i didn't even break 50ºC. i think i have lots of headroom to really push this thing now. was running 4.4Ghz but stopped there due to the thermal issues. can't wait to see what i can push now.

as i mentioned, this is largely due to some snippets of advice from various members over a long period of time. might seem kinda stupid to some of you, but this is a big deal for me. big thanks!

Congrats! It's always rewarding to see your CPU surgery pay off. I'll kinda miss that aspect of tuning since I switched to AMD last year, but it's amazing how much more you can squeeze outta those chips with a little gallium and superglue! 😁

"it's getting close to end of life"

how do you know that? Can you give specifics? Thanks

but it's amazing how much more you can squeeze outta those chips with a little gallium and superglue!

and if it's a new CPU then the voiding of your warranty ... just saying :barefoot:

Well, y'know. Most people with common sense won't forcibly pry the heat spreader off a CPU they can't afford to replace. ;)

and so, then it's ok to have to delid and lose warranty in order for the CPU to actually do what the company claimed it can do when you bought it (X version = OC capable without hitting dangerous thermals) and it's ok to do but just for those who have another $400 to $500 to throw into the toilet?

Talk about a lack of common sense :barefoot:

and so, then it's ok to have to delid and lose warranty in order for the CPU to actually do what the company claimed it can do when you bought it (X version = OC capable without hitting dangerous thermals) and it's ok to do but just for those who have another $400 to $500 to throw into the toilet?

Talk about a lack of common sense :barefoot:
I... okay? Kinda difficult to read your intent here but I'll try.

1.) You seem to have a bone to pick with Intel making claims about processor overclock performance that can only be obtained thru delidding. I'm curious to know where Intel is making promises about how far any given processor will overclock to begin with. All they claim is that it's unlocked - which is technically true even when the silicon is shit and won't budge a single MHz beyond stock speed.

2.) If delidding were half as risky as you're painting it to be, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is. If you buy the right tools and approach the job with care, delidding is very low-risk. I've popped the tops on five processors at this point and I'm 0/5 on "throwing $400-$500 into the toilet."

To clarify, by end of life I mean I figure I'll be ditching this platform in a year or two. Has nothing to do with the reliability of the parts.

Just because I feel like bragging, I finished overclocking this processor. Managed to squeak 4.6Ghz out of it at a voltage of 1.4. not bad. I found I was able to do 4.7, but that required 1.5V. I feel that for the extra 100Mhz it just isn't worth it to be pushing that much voltage. It's obviously the brick wall where we hit diminishing returns.

Temps are well below 60C, even when I was testing at 4.7 and 1.5V. I'm going to call this one a win and be very happy with 4.6.

Great results!

I've still got a i7 920 and i7 980 running here. Biggest problem is not enough RAM, lack of higher speed SATA 3, USB3, etc. They are just too old.

Back