my deep black Silverstone with "power rails"

frenzy

n00b
yeah, while i've been reading the [H]-forums since the beginning (march '00 i think ) i really never had something to show off - until now ;)

here's my watercooled opteron box (175@2,84gig) with copper power rails which are in fact the main 12v, 5v, 3.3v and 0v lines for the mobo. all the other atx rails are soldered to the back of the mobo. i went for a sata dvd burner because the cables look so much smoother and are a lot easier to route nicely.

the watercooling stuff is a from german shop, alphacool, i'm not sure if they sell that stuff in the us too. the pump is a laing ddc+ and its hidden beneath the water reservoir, well not really hidden because its connected to it.

the two pipes at the bottom and out of the back will be used for external cooling, maybe some active "watercooling"

questions and critics are welcome ;)

01.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

2.JPG

22.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

hinten.jpg

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

schiene1.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

That's ridiculous!! Nice work on the rails. I think UV Green liquid is over-done, but your's takes the XBox feel and accents very nicely. Added with the background pictures, the XBox type controller, and the Chameleon Green Razer and you have yourself a nice looking rig. Good work on the Rheobus as well. Are those LED's still multi-colored or green only? All in all, very good work.

Yes, Alphacool is sold here in the states. We carry alot of their stuff at Performance-Pcs.com Oh, by the way everyone...

Papst Fans are HERE!!

Very nicely done. Tasteful, and not overdone like alot of cases seem to become.

great job man. wish i could do justice to my tj06 like that. did you have to sand the inside of ur case to paint it or did you just spray over it?

:eek:

Wow dude. Just wow. That is really really well done. I agree with Steelgrave; a lot of people go really overboard with their mods, but yours is perfectly executed and looks cool and classy at the same time. Keep up the awesome work!

that looks sic, any chanche we could get some shoots of the side pannel of and some wider angle shoots, id like to get the whoel picture

love the power rails, i hope you dont ahve pets or kids though

thx, while it took me damn long it still made a lot of fun to build it :)

@levellord: "Are those LED's still multi-colored or green only?"
yeah, their changing vom green to red if you turn down the fans (the left dims the lights)

@sn85: "did you have to sand the inside of ur case"
no, no sanding. but i had a lot of problems with dust so the surface doesnt look so good i think

@lozaning: "any chanche we could get some shoots of the side pannel of and some wider angle shoots, id like to get the whoel picture"

ah sure, but what do you mean with "whole picture" ? my room ? :p

just found some other pictures from the psu mod and the power rail unit:

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

the last two were made before polishing, the first one is already polished!

and here some more pics from the work in progress:
IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0606.JPG

and finally something that i planned earlier but never went realized:
q.jpg

that should also explain the color theme ;)

thx man..

and as requested, a shot of the pc with the panel open. well thats somewhat a pants-down shot, because i didnt root the cables that good in the spots you wouldnt normally see. but then again, thats the worst it gets in the whole box ;)

IMG_0754.JPG

good work fitting the 120mm under the PSU. i tried to cram one with the drive cage but i had to settle for 2x80mm. is ur psu held up by anything other than the 4 screws after you took the cage out?

the rails with the cables attached are quite stiff, but probably ill have to rethink that..

Very clean looking with the rails. That was a great plan.

Now all you need is a light the pulses with phat beats.....hehe.

One of the cleanest rigs I have ever seen! BTW, what are the copper power rails, I mean, how do they work? Did you simply route all the cabling through them and solder to the board or what?

I dub this sexiest/cleanest case mod on the forums.

EDIT:: What is the name of that resevoir?

belmicah said:
Did you simply route all the cabling through them and solder to the board or what?

no, these ARE the cables. each rail provides on of the main voltages. i.e. 12v, 5v, 3.3v and ground. you could actually run a fan or whatever by simply touching the right rail with its cables.

all supporting ATX lines like -12v oder standby are soldered directly to the back of the mobo. also the connectors for the power switch, reset, case leds are soldered to the board

the reservoir can be found here, dunno if it has a name :p
http://www.alphacool.de/xt/product_...phacool-water-tank-for-laing--attachment.html

Doesn't that shock you if you touch it? I know these questions sound stupid, but I have never seen this before. So if you touch it with the cables, it'll run? How do the positive and negative terminals run through one piece of copper?

belmicah said:
How do the positive and negative terminals run through one piece of copper?

If you look closely at the picture just above, you will notice that there are 4 copper pipes, one for each of the 4 different wires of a 4 pin molex connector

That is amazing, truly amazing.

One thing though,

02.jpg

Aren't the green rubber fan silencers supposed to be on the inside of the case to keep the fans from vibrating? Seems like right now they are only keeping the grills from rattling?

thanks for the other pics. by whole picture i meant take a regular photo instead of your hot rod glamour shot angles(which i do love)

GigantoR said:
That is amazing, truly amazing.

One thing though,

[IMG_cut_]http://www.1337-relaxed.de/frenz/frenz/02.jpg[/IMG]

Aren't the green rubber fan silencers supposed to be on the inside of the case to keep the fans from vibrating?

thats absolutely right, at least, thats where they were supposed to be. but they didn't fit on the papst fans, but they looked cool so i put them on the back to accent the back a bit. but the fans dont' vibrate much anyway..

the most noise comes from the front, because of all the air that is sucked through the frontgrill and this one has very sharp edges. sharp edges = more noise ;)

EDIT: @belmica: no that cannot happen, probably if i had very wet hands of saline solution but uhm.. that doesnt happen very often :D

usually you won't get shocked up to voltages of 40volts because the resistance of the skin is to high.

nice idea with that rails but that would be too dangerous for me .. it's not the voltage but the current can make nice lighteffects ... why not putting a cover over them?

ill mod my tagan psu too, that cables dont fit my needs :D

frenzy said:
thats absolutely right, at least, thats where they were supposed to be. but they didn't fit on the papst fans, but they looked cool so i put them on the back to accent the back a bit. but the fans dont' vibrate much anyway..

the most noise comes from the front, because of all the air that is sucked through the frontgrill and this one has very sharp edges. sharp edges = more noise ;)

EDIT: @belmica: no that cannot happen, probably if i had very wet hands of saline solution but uhm.. that doesnt happen very often :D

usually you won't get shocked up to voltages of 40volts because the resistance of the skin is to high.

But they hold thier charge right?

If you where to accidently touch them would you get shocked?

Also, do they get hot at all?

no, you can touch them where you want, nothing would happen ;)

and no, they dont get hot, there's way too little current running through them to actually heat up a 4mm copper bar..

the more i watch them, i think my images look like crap. i'll try to make some new ones with better lightning. it looks like -unlike me- my camera doesn't really like the darkness :D

usually you won't get shocked up to voltages of 40volts because the resistance of the skin is to high

Didn't know that tidbit. Thanks

Angry Bear said:
very slick machine :cool:

and thats an amazing display of pc boxes you have, plenty of classics :D

thx man, and thats only about a third of my fps collection - but i can tell you that its a bad idea to collect us-games over here.. they have a long and expensive way to travel :eek:

@masterofthehat: sorry, cant offer a worklog for that, didnt take any pictures at all during the making
but i could tell you how they work in detail if that is what you wanted ;)

I've had ideas about doing something similar using titanium tubing I have access too from work, but running the wires inside the tubes. I couldn't forsee just how incredible it would actually look though. Great job!

belmicah said:
usually you won't get shocked up to voltages of 40volts because the resistance of the skin is to high

Didn't know that tidbit. Thanks

Voltage has absoultly nothing to do with getting shocked. Current is everything. 1.0v with enough current could kill you. Static discharges are normally ~ 10000v - 40000v but the current is SO low that it wont kill you.

Back