My declaration of independence

Don’t blame you, I was so grateful that they took preorders here. If I was having to have the stress of constantly trying to get one ordered I’d have given up a long time ago.
Unbelievable that it’s still going on

CPU availability isn't too bad, although Ryzen 5000 series CPU's are hard to come by. This is especially true of the 5900X and 5950X.
Yes they're the only CPUs here with wait lists about 1-2 weeks at most, unless you pay a slight premium. That said, 5800X, the (usually, binning-willing) perfectly fine redheaded stepchild is in stock though and would probably be my choice for now, if there isn't a 5700x at the time. I would love a 5950 but not willing to pay the premium right now unless my workload changes.

To be honest about it, I'm not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, which will benefit from a better vid card.

I was editing 61mpix raw photos in Lightroom on integrated video card. I don't see why you need the absolute latest to edit photos. It's foolish, especially since you're not a gamer.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I see 5800X hit Amazon literally everyday for MSRP.

5600X is fairly easy to come by too.

5900X more rare but really gotta watch the stock drops for to nab. Saw one for MSRP last night and thought about nabbing it and returning the 5600X I got, but honestly worst this machine will do is game so I left it alone.

Haven't been watching 5950X.

Observations: It's not hard to get a 5600X/5800X. 5900X/5950X are pretty rare. But honestly unless you actually need one of those for a professional reason, no reason to have your parts collecting dust. 5800X should be attainable. Can always upgrade it in the future if you really need to if they do a Zen 3+ or something and perhaps by then supply/demand will be more in check.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you do with that software but do you really need a high end card for it right now? Wait it out if you can or look at the used market. It's like this insane hype train of marketing garbage going on. This is next to the 8800 series the worst time I've ever seen to buy video cards.

I completely understand your stance, it sucks right now but as with all things it will balance out just not as fast as we want it. It could be a blessing after all

I was editing 61mpix raw photos in Lightroom on integrated video card. I don't see why you need the absolute latest to edit photos. It's foolish, especially since you're not a gamer.
With my current vid card, importing takes too long, mostly to bring up images in LIBRARY Grid View. Second, some DEVELOP steps have a noticeable lag. Third, I want to start using Enhanced Details, and for that I need a much more powerful card.

As of just now, I have totally had it with this entire game card situation. I was a real schmuck for not buying an AMD 5600XT or 5700 back last May (at MSRP) when I was buying all the other components of my new build. No, I had to have a new generation Nvidia card. Again, I was a real schmuck.

So here we are today. I have been compulsively checking BestBuy, Newegg and even B&H Photo, to no avail. I read this forum 3-4 5 times a day, even though I read other [H] forums maybe every other day. I'm so tired of all this useless checking. As of now, I'm going to declare my independence from all this madness. I have an EVGA My Notify in place (last December) and if/when that comes up, I get my card. Otherwise, I'll just wait. No I'm not happy with my existing vid card, but I can't keep wasting so much time on this issue. I have a job, family, and responsibilities. It's time I got my priorities right.
To be honest about it, I'm not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, which will benefit from a better vid card.
Thanks for all the LIKEs.

I forgot to add that I'm 400 miles away from the nearest Microcenter, so waiting on line from the wee hours of the day isn't an option for me. If I thought I should do the 800 mile round trip, I would take all that gas and food (motel?) money and just pay The Man some inflated price.

Thanks for all the LIKEs.

I forgot to add that I'm 400 miles away from the nearest Microcenter, so waiting on line from the wee hours of the day isn't an option for me. If I thought I should do the 800 mile round trip, I would take all that gas and food (motel?) money and just pay The Man some inflated price.
Not worth it...you would be standing in line blind. No idea if they'd even get what you wanted.

As of just now, I have totally had it with this entire game card situation.
*snip*
As of now, I'm going to declare my independence from all this madness.
*Lifts head to check on GPU situation*
Oh, it's still complete and utter sh!t...
*Goes back to remodeling closets*

Oh look! Second closet redone!

1612309231817.png
1612309249048.png

Guess I can take a break next week for my birthday, and then I'll redo the third and last one. Then I'll check back to see if GPUs are finally available... since they probably won't be still, I'm sure I'll find yet another corona-project to improve the house. My 1060 keeps chugging along...

#silverlining

I've been free for a decade already. The last two cards I bought on launch day were HD 4850, and then gtx 460. Since then I have waited three to six months after launch to pickup a card

Even during the last huge crypto rush, I waited impatiently on my gtx 960 waiting for the sane price to return on 1060

its gonna be another year before that happens, but it with wide covid19 vaccination , costs will once again become sane.

EDIT I also stopped buying new processors on release day (Sandy Bridge SATA bug says hello!) If you're going to have it for years, why get the worst of the bunch; the best motherboards arrive months afterward,

Last edited:
I'm not free yet.

I'm looking more and more like that person in the Abilify commercials who is in black and white and always looking wistfully out the window.

View attachment 325398 View attachment 325399

Guess I can take a break next week for my birthday, and then I'll redo the third and last one. Then I'll check back to see if GPUs are finally available... since they probably won't be still, I'm sure I'll find yet another corona-project to improve the house. My 1060 keeps chugging along...

#silverlining

I don't like how your apple component shelf is above the pc component shelf. Fix it.

View attachment 325398 View attachment 325399

#silverlining
Me too. I have given up on trying to find a new GPU also. Too many other things to occupy my time and money. That being said, these pictures have inspired me to do something with my closet. Its a big one, you could fit a bed in it. I'm thinking about moving my computer in there to make a man cave but not sure it would be ideal for the summer time. It does get warm.

I don't like how your apple component shelf is above the pc component shelf. Fix it.
LOL. If anything, it's a perfect metaphor for my marriage: all the Apple stuff is my husband's - he's the cool guy everyone at the party talks to. The lower PC-stuff filled shelf is mine - I'm the scrappy one who doesn't like too much attention, but gets shit done - like, house closets. I build, he shows off to others about all the improvements I'm making to our house. Teamwork! (and he just brought me a Moscow mule as I was just sitting here typing, so yeah, teamwork indeed! I'll happily keep renovating if I'm given drinks on the regular :D )
Me too. I have given up on trying to find a new GPU also. Too many other things to occupy my time and money. That being said, these pictures have inspired me to do something with my closet. Its a big one, you could fit a bed in it. I'm thinking about moving my computer in there to make a man cave but not sure it would be ideal for the summer time. It does get warm.
Definitely, do it! A) you learn a new skill, or practice an old one. B) you improve your living situation. C) You legitimately add a bunch of value to your house. D) Each closet only cost me ~$150 between the sheves (multi-layered plywood, stronger and doesn't bend), support beams (regular wood), a couple big cans of 2 paint colors (I still have plenty left), 1 can of polyurethane, 3 tubes of insulant (per closet) and a couple brushes. It's satisfying. And you can't buy any GPU, basically, at all right now - I keep checking for that 3060 Ti on Best Buy, the only one at $399 still, but it's clear that's not gonna happen. So why obsess about it? Improve your daily living space! I don't have space for a man cave, but then again, our whole house is a man cave, so we're set :D

Another good option while y'all wait to buy a new GPU - rediscover the classics! Here I am, done with work for the day, enjoying a 2nd Moscow mule, playing the Black Ops campaign (2010 graphics, baby!) at 1440p and getting an excellent 90+fps on my 1060 3GB. You can't realize how old your GPU is getting if you wait it out by replaying older games! I'm working through all the CoD campaigns, because why not! I've already completed CoD, CoD 2, CoD 4: Modern Warfare, World at War and Modern Warfare 2 (graphics on some of those were rough... but I'm surprised how well even the 2003 CoD gameplay holds up!)

1612404450703.png

I've got two 6900xt from newegg using the snail monitor discord channel and watching for drops 4-5PM PDT. I got a 6800xt with a bot on amazon and did not even have to be at the computer.

It's not super hard. Just gotta be patient and act fast when the opportunity presents. I sold one of the 6900xt and the 6800xt to friends for my cost fyi. No scalping bro.

I'm playing Syndicate now, the 2012 remake. Not the best controls, but it's still pretty fun and reminds me of FEAR in some ways, but with hacking.

1612407109762.png

I loved Descent. Believe I played 1 and 2, not sure about the third one.

My favorite was Forsaken. I think I had it on N64, that game was so good. They did a remaster a few years back. Specs are low, so should be good on any computer.

Also, worth checking out Overload. It was made by some of the creators of the original Descent and looks pretty good.

Anyone remember or play these? Too bad there isn't any servers running these classics anymore. Or we could go waaaaaay back and play Taipan! No GPU required.

Tribes 2 was a ton of fun. In terms of hours logged, it's still likely in my top 3 games.

I have not done much computer gaming as of late. I have mostly been resting and working on a table-top RPG campaign as I finish getting rid of the rona-crud. I cannot wait to get back to work and start earning money again. I really need to figure out how to off-load some good older computer hardware without dealing with Ebay so I can finish cleaning my room out.

I have not done much computer gaming as of late. I have mostly been resting and working on a table-top RPG campaign as I finish getting rid of the rona-crud. I cannot wait to get back to work and start earning money again. I really need to figure out how to off-load some good older computer hardware without dealing with Ebay so I can finish cleaning my room out.

I heard a rumour that the hardforum has a sale/trade subforum lol.

Anyone remember or play these? Too bad there isn't any servers running these classics anymore. Or we could go waaaaaay back and play Taipan! No GPU required.

View attachment 325780
Still have my Descent 1-3 CDs. The 3rd installment had much better graphics but I couldn't get into it. Might fire it up and see if that changes.

Thanks for the information about Overload and Forsaken Remastered! I had no idea these games were even on Steam. Overload doesn't appear in the store search nor if you wishlist it. This is apparently a known issue and the devs on discord seem to be aware of it.

Yeah, Steam search is bugged on that game. You can find it on the website though.

I have a job, family, and responsibilities. It's time I got my priorities right.
I quit gaming this time a year ago and it's been great for my family relationships (especially with my wife) and my own health too. I fill up my time by going back to the gym and watching Netflix with the wife, leads to lots more chill time if you know what I mean ;) I do keep up with gaming & tech news and this GPU shortage nonsense is stress that I don't miss at all.

I quit gaming this time a year ago and it's been great for my family relationships (especially with my wife) and my own health too. I fill up my time by going back to the gym and watching Netflix with the wife, leads to lots more chill time if you know what I mean ;) I do keep up with gaming & tech news and this GPU shortage nonsense is stress that I don't miss at all.

Well, if you're so addicted to gaming it's affecting your sleep and workout regimen, then quitting cold-turkey is good for you.

But for the rest of us who learned to put gaming near the back on the list, you can still have a good time with offline gaming! Also, taking months t finish a game saves you money by not demanding release-day prices / the world's most advanced graphics cards.

If all you do is play games, unless you're top-1000 in your category in the world, you're going to get burned-out from hitting the wall by the time you're 30, with no other life skill to call your own, so always a good idea to evaluate how badly the load is affecting you!

Last edited:
Another good option while y'all wait to buy a new GPU - rediscover the classics! Here I am, done with work for the day, enjoying a 2nd Moscow mule, playing the Black Ops campaign (2010 graphics, baby!) at 1440p and getting an excellent 90+fps on my 1060 3GB. You can't realize how old your GPU is getting if you wait it out by replaying older games! I'm working through all the CoD campaigns, because why not! I've already completed CoD, CoD 2, CoD 4: Modern Warfare, World at War and Modern Warfare 2 (graphics on some of those were rough... but I'm surprised how well even the 2003 CoD gameplay holds up!)
My next vid card has become unobtanium too.

So, I am playing through my Steam backlog + buying "wishlist" games @ 50-80% discounts (Yakuza series is AWESOME).

I recently replayed the entire COD & BF series because I wanted the full SP story (especially Black Ops) & the shooter on rails experience (at high or ultra settings) in a compressed time period vs the 17 years since I played COD 1 & as the rest were released over that time (all were played on less than optimal hardware) vs the open world games that I had been playing (Far Cry, Just Cause, GTA series, etc).

Also, Skyrim is easily modded & runs like butter on older vid cards, so that is pretty fun & chill to just ride a horse in the mountains & hunt wildlife or do random side missions... same w/ Witcher 3.

BUTT - it sounds like OP only "plays" Photoshop and Lightroom now...

I quit gaming this time a year ago and it's been great for my family relationships (especially with my wife) and my own health too.
My wife and I game together. Hell, i proposed by buying her a limited edition Switch and our wedding was vaguely pokemon themed. It's a lot harder when you and your partner aren't as in tune with eachothers hobbies.
We're likely gonna co-op some stardew valley before Monster Hunter Rise comes out and consumes us both for the next few months.

Still wanting that 3080 so I can gift her my 1080Ti for co-op PC games in the future.

My wife and I game together. Hell, i proposed by buying her a limited edition Switch and our wedding was vaguely pokemon themed. It's a lot harder when you and your partner aren't as in tune with eachothers hobbies.
We're likely gonna co-op some stardew valley before Monster Hunter Rise comes out and consumes us both for the next few months.

Still wanting that 3080 so I can gift her my 1080Ti for co-op PC games in the future.
Sounds like a great marriage. What about your future kids? LOL.

Sounds like a great marriage. What about your future kids? LOL.
I have so many plans about starting them off with the classics (Still have every console from SNES to Modern hooked up) that they will likely absolutely not have any part of!

I do want to be that dad that pops in when they're playing Smash Bros 20 and kicks their ass though.

Back