My declaration of independence

x509

2[H]4U
As of just now, I have totally had it with this entire game card situation. I was a real schmuck for not buying an AMD 5600XT or 5700 back last May (at MSRP) when I was buying all the other components of my new build. No, I had to have a new generation Nvidia card. Again, I was a real schmuck.

So here we are today. I have been compulsively checking BestBuy, Newegg and even B&H Photo, to no avail. I read this forum 3-4 5 times a day, even though I read other [H] forums maybe every other day. I'm so tired of all this useless checking. As of now, I'm going to declare my independence from all this madness. I have an EVGA My Notify in place (last December) and if/when that comes up, I get my card. Otherwise, I'll just wait. No I'm not happy with my existing vid card, but I can't keep wasting so much time on this issue. I have a job, family, and responsibilities. It's time I got my priorities right.
To be honest about it, I'm not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, which will benefit from a better vid card.

No, it's never enough!!!

Even once you DO get your video card, do you think you should use it? For gaming??
Of course not. First mine some coins with it, then SCALP it on eBay.
Then buy another one. It was NEVER about the games, never about the fun or joy of hardware.

IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT MONEY.
RAW CASH.
CASH RAW.

Fuel your addiction to give your life meaning.

Idk, some people claim "thrill of the hunt", but I reeeeally don't see the appeal of slaving away at the pc trying to consoom.

I played the F5 roulette for 5 minutes when the 3080 launched and never looked back. At the end of the day it's literally JUST a gpu.

I gave up, and I’ve avoided the time wasting. It’s been a month or two now since I said screw it. I’m stepping away from buying new hardware right now.

Hopefully this teaches a lot of people a valuable lesson.

Never sell your current hardware for future hardware. Once you acquire future hardware, then you can sell your old hardware.
I disagree. I lost a bit this time but I’ve made out much better every single time in the past.

I think he's taking about selling your GPU before you get a replacement and having none in situations like this where availability is bad for months on end.
Oh that makes more sense. I sold my 2080S but I had a backup in place to serve until I found a new card.
And had there been actual stock of the 3 series, I’d have lost much more selling my 2 series card.

Just checking the storefronts randomly will never get you a card unless your timing is incredible. You almost need to be on one of the stock drop discords so you can be on the page the instant the notification hits.

This is just how it is, sadly.

Oh that makes more sense. I sold my 2080S but I had a backup in place to serve until I found a new card.
And had there been actual stock of the 3 series, I’d have lost much more selling my 2 series card.

The problem is that there are people who sold off their GPU's, and either didn't have a decent backup or don't have a backup at all, and they are stuck until they can find a new GPU. For them, they pretty much have to hunt for something.

Just checking the storefronts randomly will never get you a card unless your timing is incredible. You almost need to be on one of the stock drop discords so you can be on the page the instant the notification hits.

This is the way.

I bought an EVGA 1080Ti 2nd hand... turned out to be faulty. Sent it to EVGA under warranty and they sent me a 2080.

This was shortly after the 2000 series was released.

The market price for all higher end cards right now is insane.

I don't even bother looking for a newer card. I just laugh at the crazy prices.

Ive now had my 1080 Ti longer than my 7950 that I survived the previous mining craze with. Glad I bought the 1080 Ti when I did, because I would sure be in a lot worse shap than I am now. At least I can ride this card out until the new cards become more available this spring/summerish. Hopefully.....

Ive now had my 1080 Ti longer than my 7950 that I survived the previous mining craze with. Glad I bought the 1080 Ti when I did, because I would sure be in a lot worse shap than I am now. At least I can ride this card out until the new cards become more available this spring/summerish. Hopefully.....

Yeah you would think after all the rapid progress from Maxwell and Pascal it would be seem difficult to predict 5 years later on a perf per watt basis $1500 video cards in 2021 would only be around 40% faster than a $699 1080 Ti from 2016, and that they would be so hard to get.

Well that is exactly my case, every several days I would do a quick look around, sometimes have a window open on the second monitor to refresh, that is when I remember too. Anyways I was checking Bestbuy for a TV and checked video cards and ended up with a 3090. Sometimes luck does happen.

Yeah I am not even considering trying to upgrade anything this year, which sucks b/c last month I bought the super awesome LG 48cx to use as a monitor, but it'll be at least a year until I can drive it at 120hz.

Yeah I am not even considering trying to upgrade anything this year, which sucks b/c last month I bought the super awesome LG 48cx to use as a monitor, but it'll be at least a year until I can drive it at 120hz.
Just do what I did.. 3090's are much easier to get than 3080's.... just gotta sell all you're old gear like i'm having to do to afford it. :-P

Last edited:
The problem is that there are people who sold off their GPU's, and either didn't have a decent backup or don't have a backup at all, and they are stuck until they can find a new GPU. For them, they pretty much have to hunt for something.

And this is why I never sell a GPU unless I have my new one installed, and verified to be working.

Idk, some people claim "thrill of the hunt", but I reeeeally don't see the appeal of slaving away at the pc trying to consoom.
Someone recently made a comment in the past few weeks here that I found revealing. Some people give meaning to their lives by managing to get what others can’t have yet. I find it seriously sad that anyone would function this way, but it really explains those who claim to enjoy these months of “hunt”. I guess there are those who really don’t have much going on in their lives other than what they can purchase.

I was trying to build a new computer. I have a 3090 collecting dust right now because I can't find a 5950x anywhere. I'm about ready to just return it.

Really, though, these are first world problems. We're living in the middle of a pandemic. We're lucky we're not dead yet.

CPUs are easy. Just grab a lower model and say screw it. Least it's usable.

Unless the goal of the pc requires that 5950x

CPUs are easy. Just grab a lower model and say screw it. Least it's usable.

Unless the goal of the pc requires that 5950x
I got sick of waiting for 5900x's and losing the checkout as fast as you can game so I settled for a 5800x. Perfectly happy.

I got sick of waiting for 5900x's and losing the checkout as fast as you can game so I settled for a 5800x. Perfectly happy.

I got sick of waiting for an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and bought an Intel Core i9 10900K instead. I had motherboards on hand for either, so that wasn't a factor. I'd really have liked a 5950X, but my machine is primarily a gaming rig.

Same feelings here with a slightly slower V64 lol. But by that point I'll wait for next generation likely, very keen to see who does chiplets eventually if it'll be Intel, AMD or Nvidia winning to the punch. I'd even (gasp) try an Intel GPU for a change if they are up to par in next generations - their scaling approach is very interesting to me.

I will do CPU/board/ram soon though before ram gets crazy as I want a decent amount of it. CPU prices here aren't really that far off MSRP strangely, lot of people already switched to Zen2.

Same feelings here with a slightly slower V64 lol. But by that point I'll wait for next generation likely, very keen to see who does chiplets eventually if it'll be Intel, AMD or Nvidia winning to the punch. I'd even (gasp) try an Intel GPU for a change if they are up to par in next generations - their scaling approach is very interesting to me.

I will do CPU/board/ram soon though before ram gets crazy as I want a decent amount of it. CPU prices here aren't really that far off MSRP strangely, lot of people already switched to Zen2.

CPU availability isn't too bad, although Ryzen 5000 series CPU's are hard to come by. This is especially true of the 5900X and 5950X.

I was trying to build a new computer. I have a 3090 collecting dust right now because I can't find a 5950x anywhere. I'm about ready to just return it.

Really, though, these are first world problems. We're living in the middle of a pandemic. We're lucky we're not dead yet.

Amazon has had the 5950x in stock several times over the past couple of weeks, but it’s also $1200. It really makes me angry.

It's risky, but you could try buying a 3090 or 6900xt, using it for a few months, and then re-selling once you get the model you want. You might take a hit, but you might break even as well with the current insane situation. For online purchases it looks like people can't get anything reliably without using a bot yourself / automatic notification via something like a discord chat. I've seen good availability at microcenter but it took me a few trips to get a card so I think this is the most feasible option, but I know it can be impossible/difficult depending on your proximity to a location and your work schedule.

As of just now, I have totally had it with this entire game card situation. I was a real schmuck for not buying an AMD 5600XT or 5700 back last May (at MSRP) when I was buying all the other components of my new build. No, I had to have a new generation Nvidia card. Again, I was a real schmuck.

So here we are today. I have been compulsively checking BestBuy, Newegg and even B&H Photo, to no avail. I read this forum 3-4 5 times a day, even though I read other [H] forums maybe every other day. I'm so tired of all this useless checking. As of now, I'm going to declare my independence from all this madness. I have an EVGA My Notify in place (last December) and if/when that comes up, I get my card. Otherwise, I'll just wait. No I'm not happy with my existing vid card, but I can't keep wasting so much time on this issue. I have a job, family, and responsibilities. It's time I got my priorities right.
To be honest about it, I'm not a gamer, but I do use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom, which will benefit from a better vid card.
LOL. OCD much?

Same thing I've told other folks. Due to work/school/everything right now, I ~live~ in front of my computer. If you want me to try to snag something from you, let me know via PM and I'll try to get it (card type only - 3080/6800xt/etc, rather than TUF / STRIX 3080... you gets what you gets).

I'm also just waiting at this point.
I'm mostly just following the deals, so whenever something hits a historically low price I go for it.
I got lucky with an upgrade to a used 1080Ti late 2019 for around $400 (Thanks Buy/Sell forum) and I managed to grab a 3900X last summer for $400 off amazon. I may not have snazzy ray-tracing/DLSS, but I also haven't seen anything that makes me want to spend hours or days trying to buy an upgraded card for a ridiculous price of $800+.

If I walk into a store* and see a 3080 or 6800XT i'll probably buy it, same with a PS5, but for now, i'm content and I just don't want to bother going out of my way to look for one.

*See one online when browsing, as we don't have microcenters here, fry's is dead, and the closest bestbuy is an hour away.

I had a chance to buy a PS5 with 2 games and an extra gamepad for $750 and I thought about it too long. Probably should have just pulled the trigger, but I also don't have a present need for a PS5.

Otherwise on the PC front, I have close to 1,000 games to Steam and the vast majority I haven't even played. There are some good ones I've been meaning to check out like Alan Wake, Dishonored 2, etc. that I missed the first time around.

So I will just try to be happy with what I got, the machine is still great and I played Cyberpunk mostly without major issue. That was the only game I was worried about, so now I will just catch up on old games for a year or so, whenever this blows over.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back