My dad's computer has Win XP woes

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
Hi everyone,

My dad is running WinXP and his computer is all sorts of funky. His main hard drive was getting ridiculously slow. He bought a SATA seagate hard drive and mirrored his XP setup with the sea tools software cd.

Now, he cannot get into windows on the SATA hard drive. It just hangs on the windows loading screen (like the login one/not the dos looking one). You can move the mouse and numlock comes on, but it just does not want to get to the desktop.

I bought him win7 and I cannot get it to install. I can boot from the CD, and then it tells me to run it while in windows. I cannot get into windows with the new hard drive (as stated above) and booting into the old hard drive takes a day and a half.

What would be the best way of cloning his old setup to the new hard drive? Is his system doomed? Should I just do a fresh install of Win7 on his new hard drive?

Thanks!

See, when you are showing up to the "Custom" or "Upgrade" window, clicking Upgrade gets you that message about doing it in Windows. Click the "Custom" for a clean install, then delete the partition and press next. Make sure you have your data backed up which obviously you do since it's on the old IDE drive. After your in Windows 7, shut down and hook up the IDE drive and drag documents over and then reinstall Apps.

Hi, Hyper_Psycho,

I'd suggest you disconnect the old driver before installing Win7, if you haven't already.

Chuklr

Don't forget though that both Vista and Windows 7 have a nice feature of taking the old Windows and putting the entire structure into Windows.old. This allows you to just open that up once Win7 or Vista is running and pull out any documents you will need.

You can also do the IDE drive as well since that is the original place for the data but this might help in terms of speed.

I got tired at yelling at the winXP setup and just installed Win7 on that new hard drive. I could not upgrade since the XP version was 32 bit and Win7 64bit was having none of it. Anyway, the installation went smooth and the only thing that did not work was the wireless card. However, I'm confident that my dad is going to be able to update the driver. Thanks on all the help y'all!

Cloning an old bogged down crappy install onto a new sata drive will just be an old bogged down crappy install on a new drive.

I would reformat without question.

Cloning an old bogged down crappy install onto a new sata drive will just be an old bogged down crappy install on a new drive.

I would reformat without question.
Ummmm do you not read the post above you?

I got tired at yelling at the winXP setup and just installed Win7 on that new hard drive.

Good choice... I'm still a fan of clean installs simply for the fact it ensures all the old, outdated files, drivers, etc get cleaned off.

Back