My dad is dumb, help me out here

CaptainMorgan

[H]ollywood
My dad works out of the house, the IT guys sent him a linksys wrt54g that he says has to be used. I use a DGL-4500. I went and switched the routers, and he gets all pissy because he said "its not as secure because the IT guys told him it wasnt". These pricks dont know what they are talking about. The Dlink uses the same damn encryption as the Linksys.

All im asking is this, Can I wire the Linksys through the Dlink and run both at once?

Can I wire the Linksys through the Dlink and run both at once?
Question is why would you? If they're willing to support it, and it isn't giving you any more benefit, why screw with the Dlink?

Linksys > Dlink > Computers/Switch

Considering the OP said something about encryption my guess is maybe VPN or something going on? That and you've also got NAT and stuff to screw with, not a simple method of just plopping in both devices.

I still don't know why you just don't use what they sent you.
His IT department probably gave that as a BS excuse, yes, but it's probably because that's what everyone knows how to use, if they need to troubleshoot an issue they know how it is setup and running. I'd do the same thing.
I'd much rather provide a router I know inside and out, BE DONE WITH IT, than try screwing around with a pre-existing setup.

Question is why would you? If they're willing to support it, and it isn't giving you any more benefit, why screw with the Dlink?

Considering the OP said something about encryption my guess is maybe VPN or something going on? That and you've also got NAT and stuff to screw with, not a simple method of just plopping in both devices.

His IT department probably gave that as a BS excuse, yes, but it's probably because that's what everyone knows how to use, if they need to troubleshoot an issue they know how it is setup and running. I'd do the same thing.
I'd much rather provide a router I know inside and out, BE DONE WITH IT, than try screwing around with a pre-existing setup.

Three words, QoS! I want to run the linksys as wireless, and have the Dlink wired into my computer and xbox for gaming. So basically I want it to be the DLink wired to the modem, with the linksys branching off.

TechieSooner's comment does ring true, especially the last sentence. Just imagine -- If you were supporting an employee working offsite, then you would want as few unknowns as possible.

Three words, QoS! I want to run the linksys as wireless, and have the Dlink wired into my computer and xbox for gaming. So basically I want it to be the DLink wired to the modem, with the linksys branching off.
I'm really wondering if QoS is getting too granular to be useful for a home network environment... So for clarification: Are you referring to the LAN, WAN, or traffic for both? How many machines are you running locally? What's the average number of hours in each day this concurrent push/pull going?

Slightly OT: Is this an OoB Linksys unit, or is some 3rd party firmware/OS flashed on it?

We have a total of 7 active computers, all are running after ~4 PM. Most of it is gaming traffic, but some (most) of the time, my idiot brothers feel the need to download like there is no tomorrow!

What is OoB? The Linksys unit is stock, not flashed to anything special.

Tell your brothers to stop downloading illegal content.

If this fails, tell your ISP to send you a warning notice... i'm sure it'll stop then.

Linksys > Dlink > Computers/Switch

Set it up like above and you'll be fine.

Why double NAT? Loss of performance, and can create issues with some software, even tank his fathers possible VPN setup to the office.

The OP needs to first find out what is "special" about the router shipped by his fathers IT. It possibly may have some custom firmware on it with pre-set IPSec VPN settings on it, for a tunnel to the office.

If it's something as simple as just WPA wireless security..fine, the debate can continue over replacing the old Linksys.

But if the Linksys came all pre-setup by his fathers IT support with special settings, his father pays the home electrical and internet access and etc etc......so be it.

Why double NAT? Loss of performance, and can create issues with some software, even tank his fathers possible VPN setup to the office.

The OP needs to first find out what is "special" about the router shipped by his fathers IT. It possibly may have some custom firmware on it with pre-set IPSec VPN settings on it, for a tunnel to the office.

If it's something as simple as just WPA wireless security..fine, the debate can continue over replacing the old Linksys.

But if the Linksys came all pre-setup by his fathers IT support with special settings, his father pays the home electrical and internet access and etc etc......so be it.

I would also be wary, if said router did VPN into his work, whatever network traffic flows through may also be subject to his works internet usage policies. So if Jr jumps on it and starts running torrents or other questionable things...that could go under his fathers review. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts?

As far as the VPN goes, He does log into a private "website", but as far as I know, it does not involve a VPN of any kind. The Linksys does not have any special firmware whatsoever. I upgraded the firmware myself. Also, when they sent the router, about all it had was a custom SSID and WPA password, nothing special.

It looks like I will have to speak to these IT guys myself to find out for sure what they are needing, im pretty sure its going to be fine running the Dlink, about the only reason they sent the new router is because when my dad initially received his laptop from the company, I wasnt there to help set it up, and the IT guys on the other end somehow got the idea that our current network is not secure, even though im all over that like Tony Romo on Jessica Simpson.

Calling either one more secure than the other is a bit silly to me unless like above posters mentioned, the router has some special configurations to connect to their system. How you configure them will have a much higher impact on their level of risk than the product itself.

I would have thought you wanted the wireless N speed more than QoS, but I do understand the desire for that.

I'm so glad to be out of my parent's house and own my own with my own internet connection.

Bandwidth = 100% mine.

Now to find a house with FIOS.

My dad works out of the house, the IT guys sent him a linksys wrt54g that he says has to be used. I use a DGL-4500. I went and switched the routers, and he gets all pissy because he said "its not as secure because the IT guys told him it wasnt". These pricks dont know what they are talking about. The Dlink uses the same damn encryption as the Linksys.

All im asking is this, Can I wire the Linksys through the Dlink and run both at once?

OK from an IT stand point the IT guy is probably right. They probably have that router setup for vpn or some other neat protocol and it probably has alot of ports blocked off for security reasons. Or it may have certain ports opened for access use. All in all i believe if you had a little more input on the router you could make your dlink do exactly the same as the linksys. But no Ur dads or the IT people are not stupid. If they were they wouldn't have a job for a major company. All in all i think you should hook the linksys back up. Also see if your ISP gives you more than one IP if it does you can put a switch before the router and run a line to both Ur and his routers and you both will be on different networks. But i would say very much again to put the linksys back in the loop. Plus with the linksys in the chain they probably have remote access enabled so that if your Dad ever has problems with his work machine they can log in and tweak whats needed so they don't have to come to the house to work on it. If you put your router in the mix it pretty much cripples them. All in all i would hook the linksys back up and get alot more details on the situation before putting Ur own router in. And your Dad and the IT guys are not stupid for this. Its a security issue.

So you think your dad's dumb because he has a job (that pays for the internet) that provided him with a router (to connect to said job) and he's mad at you (someone who probably doesn't pay the bills) for screwing with his job? Nice.

Seriously, it's his job and his internet connection. If it works let him do what he wants. Also why on earth would you do something like switch the company router with yours and then wonder why he got mad?

Now, what is it that the DLink offers that makes it so superior that you can't live without it?

He mentioned QoS, and I'm also thinking wireless N, but he said he wants to use the linksys for wireless so I assume he's wired for all his stuff and just wants good QoS.

Edit: The dlink is also gigabit.

I'm curious about who pays for the Internet at the house. Does the OP's father or the father's employer? If the father's employer provides Internet as part of the job, I would think that the Linksys needs to be put back in place. Then, check with the employer's IT department to see if using the said Internet connetion for personal home use (for the entire family) is approved. If not, get a second Internet connection from an ISP and pay for that and do whatever you want with it.

If the father is paying for the Internet and the employer wants the Linksys installed, see about working on an acceptable solution WITH the IT department instead of being a rogue home admin.

Just my $0.02.

For sure, yes the company started paying for the Internet. With DSL, im pretty sure its not possible to run two separate modems off one phone line, although he does have a business line installed in his room, maybe we could get DSL on that, and I could pay for my own personal connection, yep thats what im thinking is going to work.

For sure, yes the company started paying for the Internet. With DSL, im pretty sure its not possible to run two separate modems off one phone line, although he does have a business line installed in his room, maybe we could get DSL on that, and I could pay for my own personal connection, yep thats what im thinking is going to work.

Umm Heavenlykid things they make millions of miles of wire every day. Im gonna say they can run a wire to where ever and install a modem with out to much hassle. And dsl sucks anyway get cable.

Good call on splitting the networks.

Personally, I used to work for a company called Smith & Nephew on their 'helpdesk'. We were REQUIRED to ship a Linksys Router for every laptop that went out of the door.

The people we supported had 2 choices. #1 - Use our router and have full connectivity support. #2 - Use their own and configure it to our standards.

Most people choose #1 just for the support issue. I know a lot of business men who DONT run any security on their router, so your fathers IT support may have been under the impression that the dlink wasn't locked down if your father doesn't manage it himself.

Buy your own internet access and use your own router.

Congrats on disrespecting your Dad in the title. I'm sure your worthy of everything he has provided for you. Congrats.

What kind of internet is this? My old calble internet provider provided two IP's. What you could do is buy a switch and you two could each have your own network.

Do the modem, then the switch and then the routers into the switch.

Congrats on disrespecting your Dad in the title. I'm sure your worthy of everything he has provided for you. Congrats.

I dunno some dads do stupid things. My dad told my grandma he was gonna buy her a NEW cellphone and add it to our family plan. He ended up giving said phone to his soon to be ex-wife whos been cheating on him anyway (he knows) (and the guy has a history of abusing women.. and she knows that) and giving my grandma her old busted up motorola that looks like it came over on the mayflower (my grandma's own words). Shes a tad bit upset. She isnt wanting a fancy phone just one that looks nice (she likes my samsung sync and wanted something along those lines. Doesnt care about a camera, etc.). Sorry for the hijack....

Obviously in the case its some kid unhappy that he cant have complete control over his family's network. Hes unhappy that he cant use his preferred brand of router. The router is being supplied likely free of charge so it shouldn't really matter. The dad's company is the one paying the bill so the OP should shut up and enjoy his free ride while it lasts or suck it up and pay to have his own line run to his room and enjoying paying for a network that he can have all to himself.

What kind of internet is this? My old calble internet provider provided two IP's. What you could do is buy a switch and you two could each have your own network.

Do the modem, then the switch and then the routers into the switch.

this would be the best, cheapest way.

my ISP up here provides up to 8 IP's per modem.

Back