My custom fan shroud

Pyrex238

Limp Gawd
I haven't been posting a lot lately because I've been working on a few things in the garage. I decided to make a new fan shroud for my radiator out of fiberglass.. heres how it turned out.

I started with a f4tal1ty quakecon shirt, cut a big white piece off the back. then I made a quick template of the 2 120mm fans location on my case, I glued that down to my mock up radiator and then used double sided tape to hold 2 mock up hollowed 120mm fans. I covered the fans in foil to keep them from sticking to the resin, and then I layed the shirt material over the two fans, and pulled it taut over the two fans. I used double sided tape again to keep the shirt material taut while I applied resin, I did 1 thick coat to soak, then within 15 minutes I did another thick outer glaze. 15 minutes later, I layed some thick glass mat on the inside and again glazed it to reinforce:

shroud_01.JPG

Then, I made yet another template to trace out my fan locations again:

shroud_02.JPG

Cut the proper holes:

shroud_03.JPG

and then I used body filler to smooth out the various imperfections and then I sprayed 2 coats of thick primer, and wet sanded with 220 grit. After I let it dry, I wiped it clean with a tack cloth and sprayed 3 good thick coats of silver, followed by 3 thick coats of clear.

shroud_04.JPG

Honestly, the finish could have looked like a mirror if I really took my time, but I wanted to have it done in time for a lan coming up, so I put enough clear down to make sure it can be wetsanded & polished to a perfect shine later.

shroud_05.JPG

either way it looks pretty decent I think.

I'm going to finish the other side when I get back from the lan. I'm going to make another shroud on the other side of the radiator which makes a 90* bend with a big 120mm pipe and form it to another 120mm fan on the other side of the case. that way my whole system operates on 2 120mm fans which are incased in fiberglass, and seperated from any convective heat from the mainboard. all my components are watercooled, so it should make for a dead silent system.

looks great. Once you get back I'd take get some higher grits for a better finish, but it honestly already looks great. Maybe paint it? Either way, installed pics please!

they are a pair of 120's actually. I'm pretty happy with it, I can't wait to finish the other side! Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Hah, trash actually... I didnt measure like I should have and it pushes my radiator too low in my case and it would hit my cpu waterblock. Anyone want to buy a silver fan shroud for a 77 bonneville core? :)

I'm going to make a custom top for my case and mount the fans in it.

here is some pic I found off the net which has my case...

DSC04920.JPG

I moved those 2 120mm fans up to the other side of that internal wall, and I cut the top plastic bezel to allow the fans to sit just under them. then I affixed the rad directly to the top of the case with a seal.. it works pretty good, however the fans are so tight under the top plastic bezel it impedes airflow:
slr_top_plate.jpg

this is a stock case--- I actually managed to fit those 2 120mm fans just under this piece of plastic - sandwiched between the metal and this bezel... but it's just too close in there and I'm loosing a lot of flow.

This top section is actually different from mine... must be a prototype model. On my case the entire top portion is 1 piece of black abs plastic. My goal is to build an entirely new top section which allows better air flow, and I'll probably try to make it cool looking too.

You should have waited for the cosmos s, its got fan grills for a 120.3 at the top

nice job btw :p

lol. Just thinking about working with fiberglass makes me itch.:eek:

Nice piece of craftsmanship, btw.:)

That sucks that it did not fit. but that was defiantly some nice craftsmanship.

Back