My CPU is too hot. Watercooling advice needed.

I've just put together my new PC.

Specs:
GA-Z170X-SOC FORCE
i7 6700k (not overclocked atm.)
EK-CoolStream PE 240 (dual block)
EK-CoolStream SE 120 (single block)
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (pump)
NB-eLoop Fan B12-PS - 120mm PWM (fans on the blocks)

My idle is 40C and under stress it is stable at 70C but I still consider this too hot (i mean the idle).

My flow direction:

Pump -> VRM (mb) -> Small block -> CPU -> Big Block -> Pump

Should i consider this flow instead?

Pump -> Big Block -> CPU -> Small block -> VRM (mb) -> Pump

Thanks in advance.

40C is normal for idle on air, depending on your ambient air temp. Loop order doesn't matter thermodynamically, so long as pump always follows reservoir.

Shoot my sig rig idles at 27-30C depending on ambient, but peaks at 50C.

I've just put together my new PC.

Specs:
GA-Z170X-SOC FORCE
i7 6700k (not overclocked atm.)
EK-CoolStream PE 240 (dual block)
EK-CoolStream SE 120 (single block)
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (pump)
NB-eLoop Fan B12-PS - 120mm PWM (fans on the blocks)

My idle is 40C and under stress it is stable at 70C but I still consider this too hot (i mean the idle).

My flow direction:

Pump -> VRM (mb) -> Small block -> CPU -> Big Block -> Pump

Should i consider this flow instead?

Pump -> Big Block -> CPU -> Small block -> VRM (mb) -> Pump

Thanks in advance.

Watercooling does not really effect idle temp. Idle temp will be the almost the same on any decent air cooler, or water setup. Ambient temp also matters. Your temps are just fine. And the component order makes zero difference at all.

The only consideration with component order is what is easiest when assembling.

Sounds like you are very new to watercooling. Read up on some of the basics. I am guessing you will find many answers to your questions. There are some great stickies here on the forum regarding water cooling.

70C load temp? You mounted something wrong / pointed fans going in the wrong direction / have flow blockage. Are you blowing hot air from a rad into your case and then using that air to blow on another rad? 70C is hot for a Skylake being water cooled, especially with that much hardware and stock speeds. I'd be more worried about the load temp than the idle temp.

Are the rads even getting hot?

Last edited:
As far as I know, loop order does not really impact temperatures that much, a couple of degrees at most. You either mounted the blocks wrong, connected in/out wrong, didn't clean the loop and something is stuck in there, or maybe just running the fans too slow.

40c on air at idle is not normal.. on water (depending on ambient) should be in the 20's and load stock should barely get into the 50's on a custom loop. My buddies 6700K at 4.7ghz idles in the mid 20's and loads in the upper 60's. This is on an H105 cooler.

my 2600k will idle within a few degrees C of Ambient, which means it can be as low as 20c in the morning and as high as 30 during the day. what does the Mobo report as it's temp?

It sounds like your cpu block isn't making proper contact or you put on so much paste it's acting as an insulator rather than helping with heat transfer. Or maybe you have an obstruction? Was this loop put together fresh for this build with new components, or did you re-use old rads/blocks? Something might be clogged, at least partly.

Also, don't call radiators "blocks." That shit is confusing.

Back