My Core i7 980x went kaput!!

I bought the i7 980x a few weeks ago at Fry's when it was on sale for about $780.

...and did I get the extra warranty for it?

NOPE.

With all that money that I saved on this expensive chip, I even chose not to get a warranty. That is because there is already an Intel warranty on it.

But that is just me.

By the way, this chip is fast....coming from my old Intel Extreme Qx9650.

I bought the i7 980x a few weeks ago at Fry's when it was on sale for about $780.

...and did I get the extra warranty for it?

NOPE.

With all that money that I saved on this expensive chip, I even chose not to get a warranty. That is because there is already an Intel warranty on it.

But that is just me.

By the way, this chip is fast....coming from my old Intel Extreme Qx9650.

I think you are confused...I find it very very hard to believe you bought a brand new 980x retail for $780...I'm also assuming that is before tax...You sure you didn't buy a 975? or lower model? You can barely buy a 980x used for that off of eBay. Of course I guess this is possible if the chip had been ran over with a pallet jack, or of course if someone took a dump on it.

It's also possible Fry's miss labeled the CPU, which happens quite often at the one I go to.

I'm talking about theri B&M stores. I've came up several times. Got a Wiimote for $19.97, normally $40, a 100' spool of speaker wire for under $20, normally $80, a $300 SCSI card for $79 and those are just items I remember. It happens, far more often then you think.

Oh, yea that is a possibility, but he said that he got it on sale for a certain amount. It seemd as if he knew exactly what he was buying it for before he even bought it. I think he has his models confused.

Perhaps. Maybe he got the lower model, overclocked it and is claiming he has the higher one, who knows.

When I had that chip that went bad on me I wasn't even really overclocking the cpu, I was overclocking my system, running 2kmhz ram may cause you to do this. Now as far as being "ethical" and "unethical.". I don't care if I had this chip revved up to 1.7 volts @ 5 ghz 24/7 you bet your ass I would return it. I don't give two shits about intel replacing my chip and whats ethical or not concerning this issue. I tell you what's unethical is charging 1000 per chip, now that's truly the definition of unethical. Intel even makes suggestions for avoiding destruction of their cpu, such as a max rated voltage which I think is 1.5 volts.

No one forces you buy it, so it isn't unethical at all, you do not require the top of the line chip to survive. Is 200k car unethical too? It is very unethical to return something you broke. This is why websites like newegg suck now because people break crap and say it came that way or it did it itself.

Obviously I wasn't being serious when saying it's unethical for intel to charge 1000 a chip. That is hardly a case of ethics.

Obviously I wasn't being serious when saying it's unethical for intel to charge 1000 a chip. That is hardly a case of ethics.
I tell you what's unethical is charging 1000 per chip, now that's truly the definition of unethical

You should probably proof read your posts before posting if you think it might be taken wrong.

Apparently not because your posts do not reflect that, such as the posts I quoted you posting.

I'm sorry next time I make a sarcastic comment I will be sure and utilize italics or quotations so you can better understand what I'm saying.

FWIW, I didn't sense the sarcasm either and I typically have a pretty good sarcasm sensor.

Yes, no sweat. It appears the other 980X owner is at least an owner, and a rather stock clocked one at that.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036035122#post1036035122
Now the question would have to move to a false price given...although evidence stands in the other owners favor currently.
In any case, it appears that the ethics of the 980X chip involve perhaps less than brilliant shining stars on both sides of the market - the seller, realizing it is dealing with in most cases zealous overclockers, responsibly feels the need to acquire $1,000+ for the chip to begin with and benefit from the price perception glory, as certain " I did nothing wrong" warranty replacements will no doubt be claimed and be a matter of course to a much larger degree than is normal on non X versions.
One other thing of note, I suggest it's possible the original 980X of the OP was not seated exactly perfectly, and thus contributed to the lower score and assisted the failure... as re-seating is recommended and can on occasion solve issues. The OP could not be expected know such a thing with boot and a score at the time though given numerous other possible factors, and of course it still is just one theorized possibility.

Back