My Core i7 980x went kaput!!

peanutskeeter

Limp Gawd
So I am messing around with my overclocking not doing anything too extreme when I rebooted and nothing...Not a beep, no display, only fans turning! I figure ok, well something is screwed in BIOS so I reset CMOS and still nothing. After hours and hours of troubleshooting RAM, my motherboard, and other components, I manage to get my hands on a spare core i7 and tried to rule out the processor when VIOLA!! The computer started just fine!

I was a little ticked off considering I have only been using the 980x less than 1 month and this processor cost me $1000!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily for me I bought the extended warranty at Micro Center so i had no worries. Took it back up to Micro Center and of course the staff was somewhat bumfuzzled as to what the deal was but I was consistent on my story and I knew I was not walking out of that door without a brand spankin new chip.

Come to find out, the processor was still within the 30 days purchase limit so I got it replaced without even having to tap into my 2 year warranty. On top of this the processor is on sale now for $950 so I got $50 added back onto my credit card.

I finally got home and got the new 980x installed and I suddenly realized something, I had a bad chip from the beginning. The chip I had before I couldn't do what a 980x "should" be able to do. My PC Vantage scores jumped from 18k to 21k with no extreme OCing. All in all, most people's worst nightmare turned into my fairy tale! :D

Wow - Well that's not something that will happen very often. Getting paid $50 for getting a bad CPU when you went in thinking you were out $1000 :p

Congratulations on getting a replacement chip, and have fun - Lots of fun at $950.

I rarely see bad CPUs but on occasion a defective chip does get by QC.

Slightly off topic here....

We had a customer try to return a i7-980x with *tool marks* on the contact side of the chip. Then, they stated that it "Came that way from the factory..." Right.....

Slightly off topic here....

We had a customer try to return a i7-980x with *tool marks* on the contact side of the chip. Then, they stated that it "Came that way from the factory..." Right.....

Did you all still replace it?

On top of this the processor is on sale now for $950 so I got $50 added back onto my credit card.

My PC Vantage scores jumped from 18k to 21k with no extreme OCing. All in all, most people's worst nightmare turned into my fairy tale! :D

Double bonus! Awesome dude :D

Why would you buy an extended warranty from a retailer? Doesn't Intel warranty the chip for 3 years?

Why would you buy an extended warranty from a retailer? Doesn't Intel warranty the chip for 3 years?

+1, this is what I thought. On NewEgg it shows up as having a 3 year warranty. Glad everything worked out for you!

because its cheaper and easier just to drive to microcenter and say my processor died.. i need a new one.. they hand you a new one and you are on your way home..

in the case of intel.. you ship it to them.. wait a week or 2 and then you get your new processor.. so tell me now do you think its worth paying the 50 dollars for a 2 year warranty?

because its cheaper and easier just to drive to microcenter and say my processor died.. i need a new one.. they hand you a new one and you are on your way home..

in the case of intel.. you ship it to them.. wait a week or 2 and then you get your new processor.. so tell me now do you think its worth paying the 50 dollars for a 2 year warranty?

I just did a warranty return with intel.. they next day aired me the SSD for $15.. Id say thats a better deal then $50 but thats just me.

Well yeah, $50 extra to the cost of the processor just to save myself from a couple of weeks of being away from my hobby computer on the small chance that my processor stops working seems kinda silly. Maybe I'm just poor; I don't know.

If I'm throwing down a G on anything i want the added protection should somebody try to get one over on me.

$50.00 extra for a $1,000.00 CPU seems worth it to me, just for convenience of getting a replacement on the spot.

Not at all. I'll stick with the 3 year warranty offered by the worlds largest chip maker that doesn't cost anything extra then a 2 year warranty form a retail outfit that I have to pay for. I've got more than one desktop machine and a laptop, so a 2 week stint without one of my PC's is nbg.

Not at all. I'll stick with the 3 year warranty offered by the worlds largest chip maker that doesn't cost anything extra then a 2 year warranty form a retail outfit that I have to pay for. I've got more than one desktop machine and a laptop, so a 2 week stint without one of my PC's is nbg.

true but not everyone has a bunch of extra systems laying around.. and really after spending 1000 dollars for a processor.. whats spending an extra 50 or 60 dollars for same day or next day replacement?

No, not everyone has more than one system, but how many do you have? ;)

That extra 5-6% you spend may not be much, but it's that much less that I have which to me seems like I'm giving it away to the retailer for something I already paid Intel for. I also have more faith that Intel will replace a $1000 CPU than any reseller.

damn this thread is full of irreverent crapping...glad to hear things worked out well for you OP, hopefully it doesn't happen again!!

true but not everyone has a bunch of extra systems laying around.. and really after spending 1000 dollars for a processor.. whats spending an extra 50 or 60 dollars for same day or next day replacement?

i do ;). i'd hate for any of them to be down cause i'd have lower ppd in seti, but if i don't have to pay extra for the warranty i won't. glad your situation went wellt hough ;)

So you see anything fast on your computer? Is the chip worth it?

The chip is worth it to me for the 6 cores....but I'm kind of the best of the best kind of freak so I doubt everybody who has bought a 980x cant say the same thing.

ZOMG you bought a mercedes and not a hyundai? Do you get to work faster?? (although you actually could get things done faster with yours lol)

Whad u upgrade from and what monitor config are you running out of curiosity?

I live in VA and the RMA goes to TN iirc, and it takes a week round trip and my only cost is the shipping to Intel.

ZOMG you bought a mercedes and not a hyundai? Do you get to work faster?? (although you actually could get things done faster with yours lol)

Hey what have you got against Hyundais. They are doing awesome now. Have you seen their line-up recently?

I want a 980X too. My next build is going to be when the HD6xxx comes out. Perhaps there'll be cheaper 6 cores by then. If not, here I come 980X!!

Hey what have you got against Hyundais. They are doing awesome now. Have you seen their line-up recently?

Aside from possibly the Genesis Coupe, there is nothing Hyundai makes that I'd ever want to drive at present. Despite liking the Genesis to some degree I'd rather have a 2011 Mustang 5.0, Camaro SS or the Challenger SRT-8.

*cough* *cough* a pentium 4 *cough* *cough* Monitor config is AOC 24" HD x3

Doesn't OC'ing void the warranty? Returning a CPU because you killed it OC'ing is unethical. You took the risk & you killed it. Grow up & take responsibility for your actions. If I changed the rev limiter on my car and increased it 2k (25%) and then blew the engine, should the company warranty it?

Doesn't OC'ing void the warranty? Returning a CPU because you killed it OC'ing is unethical. You took the risk & you killed it. Grow up & take responsibility for your actions. If I changed the rev limiter on my car and increased it 2k (25%) and then blew the engine, should the company warranty it?

Dude the CPU was bad and he was up front and honest with them about what happened and they gave him a new one anyway. You have to try pretty hard to kill a CPU.

Dude the CPU was bad and he was up front and honest with them about what happened and they gave him a new one anyway. You have to try pretty hard to kill a CPU.

I didn't see him mention over clocking to them...but he was "consistent with his story"...Did I miss something?

I didn't see him mention over clocking to them...but he was "consistent with his story"...Did I miss something?

So I am messing around with my overclocking not doing anything too extreme when I rebooted and nothing...Not a beep, no display, only fans turning! I figure ok, well something is screwed in BIOS so I reset CMOS and still nothing. After hours and hours of troubleshooting RAM, my motherboard, and other components, I manage to get my hands on a spare core i7 and tried to rule out the processor when VIOLA!! The computer started just fine!

I was a little ticked off considering I have only been using the 980x less than 1 month and this processor cost me $1000!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily for me I bought the extended warranty at Micro Center so i had no worries. Took it back up to Micro Center and of course the staff was somewhat bumfuzzled as to what the deal was but I was consistent on my story and I knew I was not walking out of that door without a brand spankin new chip.

Come to find out, the processor was still within the 30 days purchase limit so I got it replaced without even having to tap into my 2 year warranty. On top of this the processor is on sale now for $950 so I got $50 added back onto my credit card.

I finally got home and got the new 980x installed and I suddenly realized something, I had a bad chip from the beginning. The chip I had before I couldn't do what a 980x "should" be able to do. My PC Vantage scores jumped from 18k to 21k with no extreme OCing. All in all, most people's worst nightmare turned into my fairy tale! :D

lol?

At first I was...

gaijin4koma_panel-2.jpg

Then I was...

gaijin4koma_panel-4.jpg

SixtyWattMan>

What he told us and what he told Microcenter may be two completely different things.

"Consistent in my story" could be "Seriously, I was using it just 2 days ago and now it won't power on!"

Can you really get 980xs to 4.59 ghz? Thats pretty insane. I thought the max overclock was around 4.

SixtyWattMan>

What he told us and what he told Microcenter may be two completely different things.

"Consistent in my story" could be "Seriously, I was using it just 2 days ago and now it won't power on!"

Killing a CPU even with a semi-big overclock is pretty hard to do nowadays. That thing had to be defective. It was either defective or he's the biggest retard on the face of the earth and threw 10v at it.

Killing a CPU even with a semi-big overclock is pretty hard to do nowadays. That thing had to be defective. It was either defective or he's the biggest retard on the face of the earth and threw 10v at it.

Looking at the OP's last statement:

Getting a performance increase by replacing the CPU with... the same CPU seems to indicate a problem with... the CPU?

Sounds like there was a problem with... the CPU.

I couldn't help but notice I used "CPU" four times there and not any other words... Just saying...

When I had that chip that went bad on me I wasn't even really overclocking the cpu, I was overclocking my system, running 2kmhz ram may cause you to do this. Now as far as being "ethical" and "unethical.". I don't care if I had this chip revved up to 1.7 volts @ 5 ghz 24/7 you bet your ass I would return it. I don't give two shits about intel replacing my chip and whats ethical or not concerning this issue. I tell you what's unethical is charging 1000 per chip, now that's truly the definition of unethical. Intel even makes suggestions for avoiding destruction of their cpu, such as a max rated voltage which I think is 1.5 volts.

Last edited:
Can you really get 980xs to 4.59 ghz? Thats pretty insane. I thought the max overclock was around 4.

You can get over 4.5 without too much problem, I hate to talk about maximum speeds on this thread because someone is going to chime in and yell UNETHICAL!!! But yes! Stevero off of xtremesystems has upwards stable OC of 5 ghz...of course he has some serious cooling set ups going on...a little further past your typical water cooling setup

Back