my computer wont turn on....

gamekid

Gawd
well..my comp was running for about 3 weeks straight...i was lazy, didnt turn it off...

then i had to leave town for the weekend, so i turned it off, when i came back, it wouldnt turn back on :eek:

i keept trying to turn it on here and there but it seems to be dead, it turned on yesterday, the windows check disk thing came on so i just let that run and i left, came back a few minutes later and it was off and i still cant turn it on....

i dont know a whole lot but im thinking maybe my motherboard or power supply is messed up... any thoughts?

Leaving it on is not a problem. I dare say that most of our PC's are pretty much running continuously.

First, power it down completely, unplug it, and let it sit for a few minutes, then retry.

Is it overclocked? If so, seat everything back to stock, and repeat above step.

The fact it was running fine for a few weeks, and you have come home to a narcoleptic PC leads me to some hardware instability. Any storms / power outages / spikes? Do you have your PC on a surge suppressor?

Maybe something borked your OS and you have to reformat? Can you run XP in safe mode?

If you have another PC (this is the worst option / but the most effective), start swapping out parts to see if you can isolate the piece that is creating the issue.

Some more detail would be nice as well, such as at what point does it "just turn off", hardware spec's, and so forth.

Good luck man!

nothing is overclocked, if my os has been "borked" my comp would still turn on, it just wouldnt do much....i dont have another pc, just a laptop that im useing now.

the point where it "turns off" is completely random to me......it actually acted like this before, where it turned off randomly but i was always able to put it back on, thats kinda the reason why i just left it on

specs, its been a while, so this might be sloppy...
amd 3500+ cpu
1 gb gskill ram
enermax 500 something watt psu
msi neo 4 platinum mobo (im pretty sure...)
video card is nvidia 7800 (gx?)

.....i had the psu unplugged from yesterday afternoon till now, and i plugged it in and my comp is up and running!...but i think i should still adress this issue...:(

Maybe it was just a disconnected wire or something and you fixed it when you where messing around?

blah, it was working so i kinda let it go, but now i have the same problem...

when i completely disconnect the psu (unplug and switch both thingies off) and wait a few minutes, the fans move for like .025 seconds and then stop....i let it unplugged a little longer, and then it took a little longer to stop....

so now im pretty sure its the psu or the mobo.....but how do i know? :confused:

Buy a new PSU from Best Buy (or similar Retailer with no restocking fee), test the system with it.

Back