My computer is drawing 685 watts under load!!

Yikes! Just got a "Kill-A-Watt" and with my Geforce 280 and it's STARTLING how much power I'm using. Now I need to figure out how much of that is the Vapochill LS.

With my 8800GTX under load, I was at 640 watts.

The biggest improvement seems to be at idle were my power consumption had dropped 50 watts with the new video card

Ooof

Jesus H! Are you serious?! I use about 520w w/ my watercooling setup, 8800GTS 320mb, and all the 120mm fans...looks like I'll have to upgrade my PSU the next time I upgrade the GPU.

What is in your PC? 640w at the wall for a single GPU system is pretty ridiculous, so that must be including the Vapochill. I was measuring just over 300w at the wall for my setup, full load on everything.

Wow! Now I know what people need 1000w PSU's for. My Q6600 + 8800GTS + P5B Deluxe won't go much over 300w at the socket measured by my Kill-A-Watt, and that's only if I'm getting full load on the GPU and CPU. Vapochill must be eating a ton.

Vapochills are power suckers. Your power usage could drop by as much as 150-200W without it.

Yeah, that vapochill must be sucking a HUGE amount of power. Maybe it's time to go back to watercooling

Edit: In case people don't know, the vapochill has it's own power supply. The power consumption listed above is for EVERYTHING

Killawatts measure power pulled from the wall. So if your PSU is running at approx. 80% efficiency, which is average, your comp is only pulling (640x.8=) 512 watts. Still a lot, no doubt.

Those 280 are power hogs, but not so bad. Jonny over at jonnyguru has three 280s running at full steam on an 800 watt power supply. I wish I had 3 GTX280s :(

Keep in mind that my PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 is NOT powering the Vapochill, which IS part of the "685 watts" mentioned above. 685watts draw on a 510watt supply would simply shut the computer down

Back