"My computer is dead...by noodles" - A short story by anakin357

anakin357

[H]ard|Gawd
No pictures yet. But late last night I get an IM from my roomate, who said the computer suddenly turned itself off, and then back on, and after that, the video stopped working.

It turned on but no video output from it. Fan spin, drives spin, DVD ejects... no video.

I get home this morning, and find much to my surprise, a dead computer. I take out the AGP card and immediately recognize corrosion on the connector... and all over the back of the card, for that matter. No corrosion on the underside.

I also spot a small, dried Ramen noodle on top of the AGP slot on the motherboard.

Mind you, I don't keep a dirty house, or computer for that matter. Ramen noodles don't just sneak up and jump into my computer. In fact, I rebuilt the computer completely about a 2 weeks ago, and cleaned everything inside of the case, no noodle could have been missed.

So I take out the AGP card, and after a bit of investigation, find that the motherboard also has corrosion inside of the AGP slot, pretty much burned out. To remove the card I had to unlatch the lockdown mechanism, so it would be safe to say that the card was pushed in all the way, it didn't burn because of a bad connection.

So I speak with roomate. He denies anything. Another roomate overhears conversation, and pipes in that the other guy took a "huge bowl of Ramen noodles downstairs" to my room, sat at my computer, and that was when he went to bed.

Moral of the story, don't ever let roomates touch your computer, especially ones who don't own up to their mistakes.

man that sucks, you might wanna accidently drop a fist in his face

I think the evidence speaks for itself, and I'll be kicking him out unless he agrees to at least take some of the financial burden for his mistake.

Someone at work suggested that I shove the video card up his ass.

buy me a plane ticket to utah... ill get the money for ur computer, and the money for the ticket. and a free trip to utah out of it. :D

How did a Ramen noodle end up in the computer?

Do you leave your case open?

BTW, Ramen noodles are not good for you - MSG and stuff ;)

Ramen noodles are like the ultimate colelge diet for some reason... i don't eat those much though.. but my friends stock up on that stuff when their loan money is running low at the end of the semester.. i'm pretty sure you will end up with malnutrition if that's all you eat lol

Ramen noodles, Salt + Palm Oil + Flavor (plus a couple other minor ingredients), damn, it's the perfect college diet ;)

DAMNIT!!! Now I gotta drive 20 min to Wendys!

Yeah I like the idea of the accidential 'fist dropping'.

Wendy's has the dollar menu, but that's one thing for a dollar. You can get like 12 packets of ramen for a dollar. Who wins that battle? I'm just glad this year we have a carte blanche system for our meal plans... that way I don't need to buy ramen when my meal plan runs out -- because it won't run out.

Anyway, back to topic. Yeah, I'd accidentally drop a fist on his face, too. This is why I room with a fellow computer enthusiast, and we make rules that nobody touches our computers when we're not there. Sorry to hear about that, man. I'm just still trying to picture how a ramen noodle snuck its way inside your case...

you've got like 4 different taste receptors on your tongue and one of them is entirely for the taste of MSG... that has got to mean something :D

but seriously... I dont thing eating MSG heavy food or ramen all the time is a good idea, but once and a while its ok... I bring the nissin cup o' noodles to work when I dont feel like making a sandwich ;)

EDIT: oh and anakin... sorry about your luck man, but this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while :p

bang his mother, become his step-dad, then ground him for a year (without noodles)

^ that seems like a lot of work when a simple fist to the face would work quicker...

Lunt said:
bang his mother, become his step-dad, then ground him for a year (without noodles)
Heh, marriage seems like a really big step to take to get even with some guy. Besides, his mother might be butt ugly ;)

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
Ramen noodles are like the ultimate colelge diet for some reason... i don't eat those much though.. but my friends stock up on that stuff when their loan money is running low at the end of the semester.. i'm pretty sure you will end up with malnutrition if that's all you eat lol

Actually it's a great way to end up looking like santa claus...

But damn I'd be pissed...I rarely even let my gf of 5 years touch my computer and even then she manages to screw things up - example, she was just trying to open something and somehow managed to make it so the recycle bin shortcut opened powerdvd, all without hitting the keyboard once!

Females + electronics = danger

that is exactly why i have boot password on my computers, and then login passwords... it is annoying as fuck, but its a hell of alot esier than trying to fix something that someone else doesnt know how they did.

set a really hard password, and then just lock windows (Windows Key + L)... simple as can be. you will still have music playing and everything. make sure your the only account, and that you have an administrator password set, cause its soooo easy to get into windows that way

HighwayAssassins said:
damn man thats so fucked up. do you have a fan on the top of your box?
Yah. How the hell does a fuckin Ramen noodle end up on your vid card? Even with my hole, it would be hard to get a noddle past the fan grill, then past the fan, past the wires on to the video card.

Back