My computer is being evil to me after I got my new memory!

xeefus

Limp Gawd
I just got my 2x1024 Corsair TwinX PC4000 memorys which should run at 500mhz, but they didn't want to. So I went into BIOS and changed to max DDR500, and it worked, but then it turned my CPU down to 2.0 ghz! Ok I thought, so I changed FSB to 250 x 10 multiplier. It worked, but what the heck. My memorysticks went down to 166.7 mhz. (PC2700). I got no clue about what to do in here! :(

PC SPECS:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with normal cooling
2x1024 Corsair TwinX PC4000 3-4-4-8
ASUS A8N-E crapboard
GeForce 6800GT @ 410/1120 (does it matter anyway?)
Tagan 380W PSU
xeefus is online now Edit/Delete Message

Oh, sorry, I'm tired. :D

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with normal cooling
2x1024 Corsair TwinX PC4000 3-4-4-8
ASUS A8N-E crapboard
GeForce 6800GT @ 410/1120 (does it matter anyway?)
Tagan 380W PSU

Just sounds like a few simple BIOS settings...what OC are you trying to achieve? if your going for say...2500mhz, Set the CPU multi to 10, HTT(FSB) to 250 keeping the memory 1:1 at (DDR200), adjust voltages as necessary...

That's exactly what I'm trying... But then the computer won't boot up :( The monitor gets black at XP boot-logo thing... If I set DDR-speed to Auto it justs gives me this PC2700 thing.

thespymaster said:
Just sounds like a few simple BIOS settings...what OC are you trying to achieve? if your going for say...2500mhz, Set the CPU multi to 10, HTT(FSB) to 250 keeping the memory 1:1 at (DDR200), adjust voltages as necessary...
im sure he meant ddr400, not 200. dont put ddr-speed to auto, put it on either ddr400 or 200mhz, not sure which one it'll have. that'll make it a 1:1 divider, so that it'll run at 250mhz which = ddr500.

Soymilk said:
im sure he meant ddr400, not 200. dont put ddr-speed to auto, put it on either ddr400 or 200mhz, not sure which one it'll have. that'll make it a 1:1 divider, so that it'll run at 250mhz which = ddr500.

Oh, I'll try that one now! Thanks :D Will get back with results. I'm REALLY new into OC'ing so, uhm. Yeah. :)

Aww... I'm back with only 2.376 ghz and only 216 mhz memory. What did I do wrong?

Soymilk said:

Yeah,...thats what I meant... :p

two suggestions from me, having delt with a lot of asus's around here lately:

1. try bumping up the memory voltage
2. set command rate to 2T

(cf)Eclipse said:
two suggestions from me, having delt with a lot of asus's around here lately:

1. try bumping up the memory voltage
2. set command rate to 2T

I heard that 2T isn't any good. I set it to 1T tho :eek: How much do you think my memories will like in voltage?

(cf)Eclipse said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=917047

not a big difference. and besides, would you rather lose a few fps, or randomly crash? ;)

no idea on how it'll respond to voltage, some of them like it, some don't. it's worth a shot to find out though

Oh. Cool. Hmm, what would the default voltage be? It's all set to auto, so uhm... I got no clue what the "default" one would be at those memory sticks. Brb reboot :D

auto is almost always 2.6v, try 2.7, if that's a no go, use 2.8.. if that doesn't work, then back to 2.6 and switch to 2T

Right. I'm not sure but my memory seems to wanna run 3-3-3-7. Which ones am I supposed to change in BIOS to get 3-4-4-8?

10t9mdecn5am8.jpg

10t9mh6vfbcow.jpg

pictures of my BIOS (no, it's not my stuff, I just found it on the internet)

Exactly the same as I got in my BIOS though.

EDIT: Not exactly the same but most settings are.

(cf)Eclipse said:
well, when you write 3-3-3-8, that's cas (tcl) - trcd - trp - tras

Allright.

I still don't understand why it won't run at 250 x 10 :( Well, it does, but then my memory like won't go over 166.7 mhz :( Think a BIOS update will help?

it might. i still think you should try booting at lower, known stable settings that should get you up to 250mhz on the ram as you bump up the clock speed in windows with clockgen, find out where the limit really is

(cf)Eclipse said:
it might. i still think you should try booting at lower, known stable settings that should get you up to 250mhz on the ram as you bump up the clock speed in windows with clockgen, find out where the limit really is

My MoBo isn't supported with Clockgen, is it? :( I don't know, haven't tried it...

(cf)Eclipse said:
all nf4 boards have the same clockgen ;)
Ah, cool. Thanks. Will try that now. I think. Uhm. How? Should I set my memory to DDR400 as usual?

xeefus said:
(bump)
My computer didn't like being at 250 :c

Figure out what's limiting you. Lower the CPU multi, and put on a ram dividier, then start bumping the HTT while running Prime. If it gets unstable at/before 250, then the board is holding you back.
Also, what speed were you running the CPU at before the upgrade? Could be it wants more voltage at 2.5Ghz if you used to run it at a lower speed.
If the board is stable at 250htt, then leave the CPU multi lowered, and set a 1:1 ram divider. Run memtest. If it gets errors at stock volts for the mem, rma the memory.

Can I change multiplier in BIOS to 10? I thought it had to be on auto to use ClockGen...? Hmm...

shouldn't have to be on auto.

also, have you read the a64 oc'ing guide that's stickied in the amd forum? :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
shouldn't have to be on auto.

also, have you read the a64 oc'ing guide that's stickied in the amd forum? :p

Yeah, but it seems to be my memory that didn't like 250 @ 2.5-3-3-7 which was set on AUTO I believe o_O So, I am currently at FSB 209 x 10 multi, doing fine right now. 212.70 x 10 now. Going steady, temps ~25 degrees Celsius ~80 fahrenheit I believe. That's fine, isn't it? ~215 x 10 now :D I can't believe such a simple thing can actually be quite fun. I want a new CPU-cooler. :D ~_~ What's the best one for ~100 bucks? :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
is that.. cpu temps at load?

No, idle :( Well, it still isn't that bad? :( I'm not sure what load temps might be, but I did play WoW and BF2 (lagged like shit here tho :D) at the same time dualmonitored and it was only <40 degrees- Can't be too bad?

(cf)Eclipse said:
those temps are pretty damn low ;)
You know we got polarbears in Sweden as pets? ;) Nah, but what the heck. Not sure what happened but at 2.4 ghz I started to get "artifacts" (called something like that in swedish) and my monitor started "twinkling?" (is that the right word?), what can that mean? :eek:

(cf)Eclipse said:
sounds like video card artifacts?
Yeah it's those stuffs, didn't even touch my video card. Can it be because of too low voltage? A guy said that on IRC. :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmmm, how stable was your cpu at 2.4ghz? you run prime95 or something? :D

Hmm, no I'm not running it :( How long should it run? :p My computer rebooted at 2.4 ghz :( :D Heh, tried raising voltage to 1.450 now, instead of 1.4... And, what the heck is the PCI clock on ClockGen? It keeps raising as I raise my FSB I think.

xeefus said:
Hmm, no I'm not running it :( How long should it run? :p My computer rebooted at 2.4 ghz :( :D Heh, tried raising voltage to 1.450 now, instead of 1.4... And, what the heck is the PCI clock on ClockGen? It keeps raising as I raise my FSB I think.
Keep the PCI clock locked from the BIOS, it should be 33.33, and the PCI-E clock should be 100.

TechHead said:
Keep the PCI clock locked from the BIOS, it should be 33.33, and the PCI-E clock should be 100.

Allright, did that. Just woke up so I'm going to try this shit now :) Thanks.

EDIT: The PCI clock is still moving along as I change FSB... Why? :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
probably cause you're booting with a 200mhz htt/fsb? ;)
Oh, damn. I forgot that. I will try later after I've taken a shower! Many thanks again. :)

(bump)
Damn, I can't get it working! I've set CPU volt to 1.450V, FSB to 250mhz, HT mulitplier thing to 4, CPU Multi @ 10 (even 9 to see if it didn't like being there), 3-4-4-8 timings as the corsair webpage says, even 3-4-4-10 to see if that got something to do with it, it boots up and all that but I get bluescreen after 10 seconds...

Back