My Cert Plan (please advise)

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Ok guys, I've been working in IT for about 5 years, I know my stuff and I'm very good. I don't, however, have any certs and I've decided its time.

So heres my plan.

Step 1: Get an MCTS first. I'll study for and take those 3 tests.

Step2: Work up to an MCITP Enterprise The first 3 (step 1) are all pre-reqs.

Is this a good course to go? Or should I get an MCITP Server first, and then go enterprise? Which is easier, and which is the better way to go?

I'm going with 2008 stuff since I figure by the time I"m done with all these tests, that'll become standardized (enough).

Also, please recommend some good books to use for studying. Thank you!

-Direwolf

I'd do Enterprise Admin only. Server admin is roughly the same as the MCSA. If you have the Enterprise Admin cert, it seems to be pretty worthless.

So go MCTS first (so that I can say I have something) and then proceed to Enterprise cert. Cool.

Admittedly, I'd probably go MCITP Server then MCITP Enterprise. But that's just me. I'm not yet at the point where I'm working towards either though..

Direwolf20, are you sure you'll benefit enough from these certs to make it worth the trouble? I mean, I assume you have a degree also, but 5 years experience is pretty impressive to prospective employers. Are you looking to get a promotion? Changing jobs? Just because it'll look better on a resume'?

I think your cert plan looks pretty solid, only if you're staying in a Microsoft shop.

Its just that I don't have any certs at all, and I figure I should get some if I want to go places. What do you recommend besides MS certs that would be good to have, and make me impressive to an employer?

Thanks for your reply :).

The CCNA or CCNP are great certs and carry a lot of weight in reviews. If you're only an MS guy, I won't recommend Linux or Sun certs, but others that might be good are VMWare and/or Oracle certs. Oracle is the largest supplier of database software and VMWare is the biggest for Server virtualization, though most every one has a solution competing with it. (Red Hat/SuSE with KVM, Windows with MS Virtual Server2008 or something, Sun with Virtualbox, AKA Sun xVM).

Aside from just certs, a lot of employers want a bit of everything from IT people. I mean, having expertise in some things is great, but if all you know are Windows Server and Windows XP, your resume may not be on the top of the "hire" pile. Having a fundemental understanding of as much as you can will make you much more valuable than just mastering one or two things. I see a lot of SysAdmin and NetAdmin jobs wanting a basic understanding of Linux, so playing around with Ubuntu for a couple weeks can get you what you need there. Knowing Networking is usually a given, but knowing a bit about firewalls and SANs can be good to know.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'm no expert, but I'm on Dice at least twice a day, and with the current economy being so cut-throat, particularly for the IT sector, and especially in Michigan, I'm still in the grocery business. I can't speak from first hand perspective, but i can pass on what I've found through some research. Hope I've helped somehow.

Quite helpful, thanks!!

I'll check into the CCNA and CCNP. I'm very much a jack of all trades computer wise. I've got experience in VM. I'm half programmer half IT guy. I know my way around SQL queries and statements. I know databases pretty well. I've got C# and Lotus Notes (Lotuscript programming) experience.

I'm looking more for IT style work, and if a little (not much) programming gets thrown in, thats fine.

If I don't know something, I'm very quick to figure it out. I just gotta play with it a bit and it works out.

I just want some certs that say "This guy really does know his stuff, hes not just pretending".

I just want some certs that say "This guy really does know his stuff, hes not just pretending".

Well, in that case, MS certs are best known for being very, very easy to memorize. It's not difficult to find the test questions verbatim around the bowels of the net. Most certs are multiple choice, but the only cert exam I can think of that feature any hands-on testing are Red Hat Linux certs. Their entire line of certifications feature exams that are entirely hands-on. No multiple choice, no fill-in-the-blank... just do your thing and if you do it good enough, then you're golden. Unfortunately, unless you've got the itch to become a Linux/UNIX admin, then it won't really do you much good. Linux experience is good, but a lot of Linux jobs don't require an RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer).

Back