My CCIE Adventure Blog

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
Not too long ago I decided that I'm going to invest a tremendous amount of time into getting my CCIE R&S. To keep myself on track, goal oriented, and hopefully build a support group around myself I've started a blog. I plan on making daily updates. Please check it out and see if it interests you! http://matt-ccie.blogspot.com/

Good luch on your venture, CCIE is NO JOKE. What are you using as a lab router? I mean the live testing for CCIE is like boot camp, it is a very rare occurrence that anyone passes first time out, SECOND time even!

Anyways, good luck again. And....I have a cisco 851w for sale ;)

I need more lab equipment. I only have a simulator and a PIX 501 at the moment. How much for the 851w?

your timeline looks good for everything through the CCNP, i've been doing it in about the same timeframe. i'm not sure what timeline is needed for the IE though...

BSCI sucks.. took me 3 tries.
Taking BCMSN tomorrow @ 11am (I suppose today since it's almost 2am).

Cool, so now there's at least 3 people from [H] going for it.. me, xphil3, and now pro. Welcome to hell, bud! Video games? Haha, I don't know what those are anymore.

Also, not to be an ass, but your 3 month lab prep for the CCIE is unrealistic unless you plan to fail it the first time like most. 3 months is possible if you're extremely dedicated and have 2+ years experience with hardcore topologies, but plan on 4-6mon+ for <10 hours study per week (8mon+ if you want to keep your gf haha). All of your other goals are definitely reasonable though. If I were you, I'd leave your CCIE lab date where it is and bring the CCIE written back to October.

I mean, look at the blueprint! Never underestimate the lab...
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/lab_exam_blueprint.html

your timeline looks good for everything through the CCNP, i've been doing it in about the same timeframe. i'm not sure what timeline is needed for the IE though...

BSCI sucks.. took me 3 tries.
Taking BCMSN tomorrow @ 11am (I suppose today since it's almost 2am).

If it's taking you three tries then it's not a good timeline.

I'm going for the NP as well. It's been ~6 months since I got my CCNA. So far I have the BCMSN down and three to go. The CCNP and the CCNA are worlds apart. Going from nothing (no Cisco knowledge/certs) to CCNP in ~7 months is a joke.

I commend all you guys for setting your sights high, but why not focus on one thing at a time? If you don't have your CCNA, get it. Why make a timeline all the way to your CCIE before you have anything? Why not just go one step at a time?

Good Luck!!

I'm actually working on mine as well (Voice), just haven't had the time lately. (working too much)

It took me ~1 1/2yr's to go from no certs to CCVP, actually all the certs in my sig were obtained in that time frame. However, I had 3yrs hands on experience before touching study material.

I'll never get there if I don't try! I'm a real believer in knowing where you want to be in life in the next few years and working your ass off for it.

If it's taking you three tries then it's not a good timeline.

I'm going for the NP as well. It's been ~6 months since I got my CCNA. So far I have the BCMSN down and three to go. The CCNP and the CCNA are worlds apart. Going from nothing (no Cisco knowledge/certs) to CCNP in ~7 months is a joke.

I commend all you guys for setting your sights high, but why not focus on one thing at a time? If you don't have your CCNA, get it. Why make a timeline all the way to your CCIE before you have anything? Why not just go one step at a time?

It's a valid argument. Can't say I disagree with it. In fact, I state my own doubts in my thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372523

I don't have any set dates for the CCIE written or lab exam, though. Instead, I made my goal to do something everyday to get closer to passing the written exam. So far, so good... I thoroughly read and understood 2 of the 5 books listed there. Also, for each new concept I learn in the books, I log into some devices to see how it's implemented in my network. If I still don't get it, then I build it in my isolated lab and play around. After reading all the books, I know I still won't be ready.. so I'll try the flash card route. Then, I'll cross my fingers...

It's a valid argument. Can't say I disagree with it. In fact, I state my own doubts in my thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372523

I don't have any set dates for the CCIE written or lab exam, though. Instead, I made my goal to do something everyday to get closer to passing the written exam. So far, so good... I thoroughly read and understood 2 of the 5 books listed there. Also, for each new concept I learn in the books, I log into some devices to see how it's implemented in my network. If I still don't get it, then I build it in my isolated lab and play around. After reading all the books, I know I still won't be ready.. so I'll try the flash card route. Then, I'll cross my fingers...

Wow, your situation probably differs quite a bit from most others, hahah. I definitely think, in your case, it's very possible to skip everything and go straight for the IE as you work with all of it on a daily basis. I wish I were in your shoes.:( I don't think you can compare yourself to people who plan for the IE (on a short timeline, lol) before even having a CCNA.

It should definitely give others a rude awakening if you are wary of planning out your CCIE path even though you are working with (nearly all) the technology day-to-day, while they are essentially just entering the Cisco world.

I'm not trying to bash or discourage anyone, I'm just speaking from experience. The CCNA material is like learning very basic addition, while the CCNP material is like learning Trig, I have no comparison for the IE stuff as I'm not there, lol. When I started the Cisco track, I focused solely on obtaining my CCNA, then I focused solely on one exam (BCMSN) until passing that, now I'm focusing on the BSCI. Thinking about everything else is pointless (to me) because none of it matters except the next exam. I have no idea if I'll get an IE, it's not even on my mind until I get the NP...

Good luck OP.

I wish I had the luxury of planning out a neat time line. My course here is loaded with pressure. My first semester (Fall 2008) with networking required me to get my CCNA and BSCI in order to pass the class. It's either A or F. This semester I need to get my BCMSN, ISCW, and ONT. Grading is the same as last semester, A or F. Same goes for my CCNA-Security and CCNA-Voip class. So I'm looking at 5 exams before this May when I graduate. I'm not a fan of rushing through these exams but it is what's required of me. As a result I'm not as confident of my skills as I have to learn everything within a short time frame. For now, getting the grade has become more of a priority than a completely solid foundation.

Proto,

Like just2cool stated, welcome to hell that you cannot understand till you really get deep enough. What you're thinking is bad, is not even the tip of the iceberg(you're around 100 feet above in a helicopter, lol). Also welcome to not having a social life, welcome to many fights with your girlfriend(hopefully shes as supportive as my girl is, haha), welcome to migraines at 2:30 in the morning. Anyone who is studying "for real" knows exactly what Im talking about. After you get your CCIE(with the new changes) ill welcome you to the elite(hopefully ill be there myself).

With that said, Ive already reached out to just2cool on AIM and give anyone an open invitation... if you have any questions regarding cisco networking/certification feel free to IM me, even if you just want to shoot the shit/talk/argue IM me(its the best way to learn!). No PMs, I much prefer live conversation. I can't gaurentee that I will be around as the CCIE is such time investment but I will get back to you. Maggot3x666 on AIM, xphil33 on yahoo.

Bencho,

What school are you going to?

xphil, have you gone through the R&S track, or are you going straight for the IE? I've seen a lot of your posts, but I don't remember if you've ever said.

Also, very cool of you making that open invitation. That's a pretty big deal.

xphil, have you gone through the R&S track, or are you going straight for the IE? I've seen a lot of your posts, but I don't remember if you've ever said.
Yes, ive gone through the entire R&S track... My recommendation is to do the same. There are a boat loads of topics that are covered on the CCNP that aren't covered on the CCIE(MPLS, VPN, VoIP, etc). Even though each of those are covered on a very basic level it gives you enough to get your feet wet, so to speak.

Two more things.
Proto, Don't worry about equipment yet, start reading a lot. Then in a few weeks get your hands on dynamips/dynagen.

Iceweasel, good luck man.

Proto,

Like just2cool stated, welcome to hell that you cannot understand till you really get deep enough. What you're thinking is bad, is not even the tip of the iceberg(you're around 100 feet above in a helicopter, lol). Also welcome to not having a social life, welcome to many fights with your girlfriend(hopefully shes as supportive as my girl is, haha), welcome to migraines at 2:30 in the morning. Anyone who is studying "for real" knows exactly what Im talking about. After you get your CCIE(with the new changes) ill welcome you to the elite(hopefully ill be there myself).

With that said, Ive already reached out to just2cool on AIM and give anyone an open invitation... if you have any questions regarding cisco networking/certification feel free to IM me, even if you just want to shoot the shit/talk/argue IM me(its the best way to learn!). No PMs, I much prefer live conversation. I can't gaurentee that I will be around as the CCIE is such time investment but I will get back to you. Maggot3x666 on AIM, xphil33 on yahoo.

Bencho,

What school are you going to?

I go to RPI

Xphil, I can't even begin to tell you how blown away I am by an offer like that.:eek: I look forward to gleaning some knowledge from you.

My SE just went for his RS Lab. 66% got destroyed in the second half of the day. Not a fun test at all.

Best of luck, you can do most of your training on emulators or w/e they are called.

Passed the BCMSN last Friday, it was surprisingly easy compared to the BSCI. (BSCI took me 3 tries because I studied 1/2 @$$) My rough timeline from here is CCDA in 2 weeks, ONT by last week of Feb, ICSW by end of March, and CCDP by end of April.

Vito, you aren't really being a ball of optimism here. If you're going to come in and slam on people's goals, it's probably best to just keep the words to yourself. Many of us find it extremely useful to set goals for ourselves, otherwise it's easy to procrastinate and never get the material covered. As for your point about going from no Cisco knowledge to a CCNP in ~7 months being a joke, that's really not true. I am in a program with 90 other System Engineers, and many of them have no background in IT, yet they are keeping pace with me on the certification tracks. Some of them actually are ahead of me because they are more disciplined in their study habits. Anything is possible if you are determined and disciplined.

Best of luck to you guys that are working on the IE. I have no aspirations to ever do that. The most I will ever do is the IE written to keep my certs active.

I wouldn't say I'm being pessimistic, just realistic. I'm not saying people shouldn't use timelines, I'm saying that planning on a date for your CCIE before even having your CCNA is laughable unless you have a ton of experience and just haven't bothered with any certs yet. If you're starting from zero, I don't think it's possible for most people to get to the CCNP in 7 months (unless they're using dumps or something).

I'm not trying to discourage people at all, I'm trying to get people to think more realistically. And, I'm sorry if my thoughts bother you, but I'm speaking from experience. The TS's timeline has him going from nothing (and seemingly little knowledge/experience) to a CCIE in a year... That just isn't reasonable. Maybe if you're fortunate enough to be like Just2Cool and work with all of the technology already, but short of that, it's just not realistic. I assumed people would want input from someone with experience and not a bunch of "good luck"s, I guess I was wrong...

I can't imagine posting about how you had to take the BSCI three times is too encouraging either, lol. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

Thats awesome you are going for your CCIE. I wish you luck in your studies.
I'm still trying to find time to study for my CCNA lol, but your plan for getting everything done is crazy intense. I'll check in on your blog every once in a while to see how you are doing :D

Hey Good Luck!!
Im working on mine too!!
Hope we can share anything can help us to achieve this goals!!

Good Luck on your goal. I think you'll find the end result very rewarding. As far as what "is" and "isn't" realistic depends entirely on the person.

If you are coming into it with less overall experience, you will probably find yourself giving up more of your personal time then someone who has more experience. Again, all depends on your study timelines and when you have to take the exam.

I studied for 5-6 months before taking the Lab. My studying during this time was purely hands-on in a lab. I averaged about 3 eight hour sessions a week during that time. Friday through Sunday were off days for me and I could do whatever I wanted. Mon - Thurs was 2-3 8 hour labs and some random research/study with the DOC cd. For me personally, studying 7 days a week will get me burned out quickly. The off days helped my mind to rest and relax. The week or two before the lab is when you can push yourself every day. Just take off the last 2-3 days before ur lab. I have been in the field about 9 years, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have taken the IE 8 years ago.

So you don't always have to give up your personal life to attain a CCIE it all depends on your timeline I guess. I only gamed once a week and had Fri- Sun to do whatever. If I shortened my timeline from 5 months to 2-3, that would have been a different story.

You should probably set aside 6-8 months to do labs only. You should be familiar with theory and configurations before starting labs. I would say to try to average 3 -8 hour mock labs a week. If you think you can handle more, you can probably be ready sooner. Also spend time researching the DOC cd and other topics you are finding weaknesses.

You may consider skipping the CCNP tests so you can spend time/money on the CCIE side of things. However, if they are free to take and there are incentives to do so, go for it (raise). With such an aggressive timeline, you will be better off doing labs then trying to prep for taking the CCNP tests. The CCNP books and such are all applicable to the IE blueprint, but use your time wisely. Don't skip the material, but you may want to skip the tests based on your timeline.

Go in with the mindset that you have prepared well and ready to take it. Keep it in the back of your mind that "you're ok with having to take it again" which will help calm the nerves. When you do practice labs, pretend like your doing the real thing, don't expect to know everything. Get used to the feeling of not being able to rattle every command off the top of your head. Make sure you know how to look things up. Don't think you can't pass it the first time because it's possible, I assure you ;)

also, if you start losing motivation, just pass the written and schedule ur lab exam. That will jump start ya!
good luck

ted

Thanks for the morale booster. I love hearing from successful people like you. It pushes me that much harder to make myself better.

Good Luck on your goal. I think you'll find the end result very rewarding. As far as what "is" and "isn't" realistic depends entirely on the person.

If you are coming into it with less overall experience, you will probably find yourself giving up more of your personal time then someone who has more experience. Again, all depends on your study timelines and when you have to take the exam.

I studied for 5-6 months before taking the Lab. My studying during this time was purely hands-on in a lab. I averaged about 3 eight hour sessions a week during that time. Friday through Sunday were off days for me and I could do whatever I wanted. Mon - Thurs was 2-3 8 hour labs and some random research/study with the DOC cd. For me personally, studying 7 days a week will get me burned out quickly. The off days helped my mind to rest and relax. The week or two before the lab is when you can push yourself every day. Just take off the last 2-3 days before ur lab. I have been in the field about 9 years, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have taken the IE 8 years ago.

So you don't always have to give up your personal life to attain a CCIE it all depends on your timeline I guess. I only gamed once a week and had Fri- Sun to do whatever. If I shortened my timeline from 5 months to 2-3, that would have been a different story.

You should probably set aside 6-8 months to do labs only. You should be familiar with theory and configurations before starting labs. I would say to try to average 3 -8 hour mock labs a week. If you think you can handle more, you can probably be ready sooner. Also spend time researching the DOC cd and other topics you are finding weaknesses.

You may consider skipping the CCNP tests so you can spend time/money on the CCIE side of things. However, if they are free to take and there are incentives to do so, go for it (raise). With such an aggressive timeline, you will be better off doing labs then trying to prep for taking the CCNP tests. The CCNP books and such are all applicable to the IE blueprint, but use your time wisely. Don't skip the material, but you may want to skip the tests based on your timeline.

Go in with the mindset that you have prepared well and ready to take it. Keep it in the back of your mind that "you're ok with having to take it again" which will help calm the nerves. When you do practice labs, pretend like your doing the real thing, don't expect to know everything. Get used to the feeling of not being able to rattle every command off the top of your head. Make sure you know how to look things up. Don't think you can't pass it the first time because it's possible, I assure you ;)

also, if you start losing motivation, just pass the written and schedule ur lab exam. That will jump start ya!
good luck

ted

Did you have a home lab or a lab at work for your studies? Either way, what did it consist of?

I had a home lab of a few small things (mostly applicable for the voice IE though). 95% of my lab time was via rented rack time. Dynamips works wonders but I personally preferred renting the rack time. I used dynamips when I taught na/np and my students loved it. All depends on the person. Also depends on your budget I suppose.

I used ipexpert which have some really good workbooks and the rentals are configured with the topology used in the ipexpert workbooks.

100% of my hands-on study was done after work at home, which is funny considering I worked at Cisco at the time...

Ted

Yeah, UR is definitely right. My Cisco NCE told me to put the time/effort/money into the preparation of the test to help avoid a second trip where you'll spend it anyway. It would suck barely failing the test knowing you could have done a little more prep work.

I had a home lab of a few small things (mostly applicable for the voice IE though). 95% of my lab time was via rented rack time. Dynamips works wonders but I personally preferred renting the rack time. I used dynamips when I taught na/np and my students loved it. All depends on the person. Also depends on your budget I suppose.

I used ipexpert which have some really good workbooks and the rentals are configured with the topology used in the ipexpert workbooks.

100% of my hands-on study was done after work at home, which is funny considering I worked at Cisco at the time...

Ted

Wow, with all that labbing you must have run up a hell of a bill, lol. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Proto, what materials did you use to prep for the CCNA?

Also, I saw that you're planning on doing Train Signal videos and the BSCI next. Here are my .02 cents in that area. I've tried Train Signal and CBT Nuggets videos, and between the two, I definitely think CBT Nuggets are better. Train Signal's instructor is very monotone and boring, but you may give him a shot. Jeremy from CBT Nuggets does a good job staying upbeat and getting to the point, although he misses some things.

I personally quit using both of these and just started reading straight through the Cisco Press books, which has worked out quite well for me. I also like to look over the Quickstart guides right before the exam.

As for your CCNP track, I would suggest knocking the BCMSN out of the way first. It has a lot of similar topics to the CCNA (STP, Vlans, VTP, etc) just covered in greater depth. It will probably be the fastest to prep for. I've only taken the BSCI and BCMSN so far, and I definitely thought the BCMSN was more enjoyable material and easier to prep for.

I watched the Train Signal videos by Chris Bryant 2 times, ran through his practice questions a few times, worked with my friend at work with configs, used the CCNA Visualizer simulator, and setup every lab that Chris Bryant created in the videos myself with Dynagen.

I find the CBT Nuggets guy to be very annoying and nerdy. Chris Bryant is much more cool and collected. I enjoy listening to him. Just my preference. I will be attempting to move through the BSCI and BCMSN so quickly that I don't think the order will matter, but I appreciate the input.

Proto, what materials did you use to prep for the CCNA?

Also, I saw that you're planning on doing Train Signal videos and the BSCI next. Here are my .02 cents in that area. I've tried Train Signal and CBT Nuggets videos, and between the two, I definitely think CBT Nuggets are better. Train Signal's instructor is very monotone and boring, but you may give him a shot. Jeremy from CBT Nuggets does a good job staying upbeat and getting to the point, although he misses some things.

I personally quit using both of these and just started reading straight through the Cisco Press books, which has worked out quite well for me. I also like to look over the Quickstart guides right before the exam.

As for your CCNP track, I would suggest knocking the BCMSN out of the way first. It has a lot of similar topics to the CCNA (STP, Vlans, VTP, etc) just covered in greater depth. It will probably be the fastest to prep for. I've only taken the BSCI and BCMSN so far, and I definitely thought the BCMSN was more enjoyable material and easier to prep for.

I agree that Ciora >>>> Bryant. Sometimes, I'll watch both, but usually I just stick to the Nugget videos.

http://www.pearsonvue.com/cisco/comeback2009/

-----------------------------------------------
“Come Back 2009” Promotion
Here’s how to redeem your Cisco “Come Back 2009” Exam:

Register for an exam at full price. If you fail the exam, you may schedule a free retake of the same exam by entering the promotion code: COMEBACK2009 at the time of registration.

Offer only valid for Career Certifications and Specialization Exams (not valid on online exams). NOTE: All exams needed for a certification must be taken to gain back your certification.

-----------------------------------------------

The following promo can be used for any Cisco exam, here are the "rules":

1. The participant purchases and takes a full price Cisco exam within the promotional period (January, 20 – July 20, 2009).

2. The participant fails the exam.

3. The participant can retake the same exam (must be the same exam number) for FREE as long as it’s within the promotional period—to apply the free exam discount.

Back