My cat scratched my U3011

TigerLord

[H]ard|Gawd
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I AM LIVID

I was playing The Witcher 2 and fighting off some Nekkers when my new little kitten whom I got a few days ago just went batshit crazy on me and clawed his little fucking paw in the screen.

I guess he didn`t like the Nekkers.

Is there ANY way to fill the scratch? It's small but very visible against a bright white background.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I AM LIVID

I was playing The Witcher 2 and fighting off some Nekkers when my new little kitten whom I got a few days ago just went batshit crazy on me and clawed his little fucking paw in the screen.

Sorry to hear about your monitor, but that sounds adorable. :cool:

*Unabashed cat lover*

kitties > monitors

Don't take it out on Kitty he didn't know he is just a little cat.

did the claw go through the anti-glare coating? or just scratch the surface?

if it just scratched the Anti glare coating you might be able to remove that? (i've read on line people taking the antiglare coating off...it doesn't sound like it is for the faint of heart however)

i had to cat proof my computer room before when my old kitty (RIP) Clemens was alive...cause he was a menace to computer equipment... so yeah expensive LCD monitors plus kittens may be a bad mix. Now we just have one very old and blind cat he can't get up on my desk if he wanted to now..

i think you options are as follows

live with it

take antiglare coating off (risky)

replace monitor / sell damaged one for what you can get

replace panel....(probably not cost effective)

if you have pets or kids don't buy anything expensive... that is really the lesson

or don't have pets or kids if you want expensive stuff.

i still have some equipment my old cat chewed on / scratched... but meh... he was an awesome cat it was well worth the price of admission to have that little bastard about for 13years.

Do you have a warranty on your U3011? DELL is usually good with returns.

I got the U3011 a year ago. The monitor also suffers from the custom color mode issue.

How long is the warranty on this thing?

The kitten is a cute little Bengal but he's A DEVIL! :eek:

i want a damn kitten...

well if you have color mode issue anyways....PEFECT it has a three year warr...get it replaced for the other issue (don't say f*ck all about the scratch)

then keep the kittah aways from it..

the little kitty may well be less of an prob around it as he grows up to...kittens are much more bundle of frenzied energy than adult kitties anyways.

Don't blame the cat, they like going after moving stuff. I once filled a scratch in with some Vaseline, it worked pretty good at hiding it. You'd have to look really close in order to see the blemish.

our friends had little caps they put on their kitty cat's claws to keep him from tearing up the furniture

I don't think it would be appropriate w/ a little kitten... you can train him now while he is little

get him a scratchy toy (something nice.... that he can grow into) and catnip and blah blah blah

when he starts scratching at anything he shouldn't then pick him up and put him by the scratching toy (post whatever) and put some nip on it and / or facilitate scratchy play time (shine laser pointer .. get feather toy thing...whatever)

anyways our current cat my wife had before she met me... and he does whatever he wants (he is very old and isn't too destructive) but it is too late to train him at all now..but now when your cat is a kitten you can get out in front of this.

DO NOT YELL (ALLLLL CAPS :D) or otherwise be mean to your kitten... just pick him up and make scratching time happen at designated scratching area

we have our vet trim our cats nails so they aren't so sharp...some people diy this..but be careful cause you can hurt your cat if you don't know what you are doing.

You got a cat and knew the risks. Deal with it. Just like I have to deal with the scratches my cats made to my plasma. Don't do anything to their claws as that's like their fingers, you wouldn't want anyone cutting off your fingers would you.

You got a cat and knew the risks. Deal with it. Just like I have to deal with the scratches my cats made to my plasma. Don't do anything to their claws as that's like their fingers, you wouldn't want anyone cutting off your fingers would you.

Did I say I would do anything to the kitten? I asked if I could do something about the monitor, never hinted at anything about the kitten.

So please, take your judgmental attitude and shove it.

I've had two Bengals before. They are wild, but affectionate animals. He was sleeping beside me on my desk and I suppose the noise woke him up and he reacted. I know full well his huntings instinct kicked in.

I also don't think anyone is seriously advocating I kill it.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

Did I say I would do anything to the kitten? I asked if I could do something about the monitor, never hinted at anything about the kitten.

So please, take your judgmental attitude and shove it.

I've had two Bengals before. They are wild, but affectionate animals. He was sleeping beside me on my desk and I suppose the noise woke him up and he reacted. I know full well his huntings instinct kicked in.

I also don't think anyone is seriously advocating I kill it.

Sheesh :rolleyes:
Don't take offense. I was more alluding to what atarione posted.

I've heard lots of whiner stories centered over cats. People should know that kittens will chew and claw at anything when they're young. Doing anything with their claws like getting them trimmed or even worse, declawed, is not a humane solution. The best you can do is get them cat toys.

Last edited:
I've invested over 2000$ in a litter robot, a cat condo (that I imported from the states), ridiculously overpriced water fountains, etc.

I'm 28 and I treat my two cats like they are my children, so you won't hear whiner stories from me.

I actually don't care about furniture damage. But my U3011... that hurt really bad! :D

I still got 2 years on the warranty and the custom color mode issue, so I have genuine grounds for the replacement. I'll just ommit to mention the scratch.

Don't take offense. I was more alluding to what atarione posted.

I've heard lots of whiner stories centered over cats. People should know that kittens will chew and claw at anything when they're young. Doing anything with their claws like getting them trimmed or even worse, declawed, is not a humane solution. The best you can do is get them cat toys.

WTF??? I was suggesting getting the kitty's nails trimmed (same as you clipping your finger nails.... you do clip your fingernails don't you...?????)

wasn't at all suggesting anything other than that... and more so was suggesting have his vet do it as to ensure no harm comes to the little kittah...

I'm not at all sure what you thought i meant .... meh... oh well

Hmmm.....u think trimming the nails is inhuman???

we have to have our old cat's claws trimmed... or he gets super painful ingrown nails..which to our dismay happened once ...the vet told us to bring him in to have the trimmed to avoid it.

it is hardly inhuman

declawing...hell yeah..that sucks ... trimming (same as people clipping nails.. however i can't seeing being at all inhuman or whatever.

meh...

WTF??? I was suggesting getting the kitty's nails trimmed (same as you clipping your finger nails.... you do clip your fingernails don't you...?????)

wasn't at all suggesting anything other than that... and more so was suggesting have his vet do it as to ensure no harm comes to the little kittah...

I know trimming is considered ok by many people but I still don't like it. Their claws are an integral part with how they interact with objects and especially move around(jumping to high places they'll often use their claws to get a good hold), I don't like impairing them in any way.

Yep, trimming the white part of the claw (above the nerve) is perfectly safe-I'm not sure why anyone would think it to be inhumane. Declawing, on the other hand, is definitely cruel and I do not advocate taking measures this drastic. Trimming claws will help with sharpness (which is great during playtime, as your cat will be less likely to accidentally scratch you), but you still need to facilitate clawing as it is vital to a cat's muscle development. I bought my kitty one of these and she loves using it, especially with some nip sprinkled over the top-so much that she leaves all the furniture alone. During the training stages, I kept a water spray bottle on hand, and whenever my cat attempted to claw the couch or chair, I would give her a quick squirt with the bottle. She caught on pretty quickly and started leaving furniture alone, and now she uses the scratch box several times a day.

It sounds like the OP has a pretty good handle on things-your cats are lucky to have such a caring owner. If you don't already have a scratch device of some sort, I would definitely recommend picking one up. How about some pictures of the Bengal? This is my 8 month old, Smokey:

IMG-8493.png

I know trimming is considered ok by many people but I still don't like it. Their claws are an integral part with how they interact with objects and especially move around(jumping to high places they'll often use their claws to get a good hold), I don't like impairing them in any way.

Claws grow back, just like fingernails. In my experience, trimming them does not impair the cat in any way at all, it just (temporarily) reduces the length and sharpness of the claw. My kitty has come totally accustomed to trimming-she likes to lay outside and lounge in the sun while I work on her. I usually do two paws at a time, taking a break in between so she doesn't feel tied down for a long period of time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well.. alright.. personally i don't see a prob when done by someone that knows how to do it.

like i said the only reason we have the vet trim our cat's nails is because he is very old now (and blind) and without trimming they get too long and he gets caught on the rugs (making him upset) and he can get ingrown claws which are painful... after that happen once we take him in to get them trimmed to avoid the ingrown deal

our cat being 15 and blind don't do that much jumping these days....

I trim both of my cats front claws (2 cats). Trimming them isn't bad, but they can still scratch something like a monitor easily. Trimming just takes the triangle off the very end and a slight bit more. Indoor cats pretty much have to get their front claws trimmed from time to time or they will curl under completely and into their paw when they walk on them, and they will get hung up/snagged on stuff.
Declawing entirely is barbaric imo. Might as well pull your dog's teeth out because he mangled something in your house. It takes the finger out at the last joint. Claws are how cats interact with the world. Again the dog teeth comparison. I always advise against it and educate people about buying cardboard scratch pads and tall cat trees. My cat would pull on the molding in doorways or on cupboards to get a good back stretch. I tried the cheap short scratch posts but when she stands and stretches her front paws are around 4' high. She needed a tall post to stretch shoulders so I got a full "cat tree" with platforms. I have a bunch of cardboard scratch pads around. It helps to use catnip at first, shaken inside the little gaps in the cardboard matt.. my one cat took a long time to start using them.
The only way I can see declawing is if someone was going to return the cat to store or spca etc since the cat would likely be killed anyway. Living without claws (or a dog without teeth) is better than being killed.
Dogs can be a lot worse.. they will often act out if they resent you leaving them alone too long, don't give them enough attention, etc.. shitting and/or pissing on your carpet, couch, floors.. chewing things up and ripping the place. I wouldn't advocate killing either cats or dogs outside of chronic or brutal attacks by one. Problems are almost always the owners fault.
If your cat is a kitten like you said, this is the time to teach them what is out of bounds.. on top of kitchen table, counters, stove, in front of your tv, on mantle, and of course - your desk surface and monitor. I also don't let mine in my bedroom, using a half-door. They could easily jump it but they know not to now.
... In order to make the very social cats happy I buy those little soft/velour-like square boxes with lids for them to sit on. If I have to I stack two high, and throw the same color small towel on top (easier to clean the hair off laundering). I also have a few little donut cat beds laying around. You can also get a cheap rubbermaid style tote box and put a bathroom carpet or thick towel on it for them to perch on nearby, etc.
Eye catching movement is hard wired, your best bet is to not allow them on your desk at all. Mine watch my mouse cursor on my tv via htpc so I have to stop moving it sometimes if they start going toward it. Occasionally nature shows will tweak them too.
If you need something decent to replace that monitor you could get one of those catleap 27" 2570x1440 ips for less than $400 shipped currently. Personally I'd prob live with the scratch depending how bad it is.
Just my opinions and insights from having cats. They are cool little ninjas. Mine are both marble bengal. One is silver-black, the other one favors tabby side a lot more.

Last edited:
Yep, trimming the white part of the claw (above the nerve) is perfectly safe-I'm not sure why anyone would think it to be inhumane. Declawing, on the other hand, is definitely cruel and I do not advocate taking measures this drastic. Trimming claws will help with sharpness (which is great during playtime, as your cat will be less likely to accidentally scratch you), but you still need to facilitate clawing as it is vital to a cat's muscle development. I bought my kitty one of these and she loves using it, especially with some nip sprinkled over the top-so much that she leaves all the furniture alone. During the training stages, I kept a water spray bottle on hand, and whenever my cat attempted to claw the couch or chair, I would give her a quick squirt with the bottle. She caught on pretty quickly and started leaving furniture alone, and now she uses the scratch box several times a day.

It sounds like the OP has a pretty good handle on things-your cats are lucky to have such a caring owner. If you don't already have a scratch device of some sort, I would definitely recommend picking one up. How about some pictures of the Bengal? This is my 8 month old, Smokey:

IMG-8493.png

Claws grow back, just like fingernails. In my experience, trimming them does not impair the cat in any way at all, it just (temporarily) reduces the length and sharpness of the claw. My kitty has come totally accustomed to trimming-she likes to lay outside and lounge in the sun while I work on her. I usually do two paws at a time, taking a break in between so she doesn't feel tied down for a long period of time.

eyes of sauron:cool:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How the hell did this become about trimming all of a sudden?

Get your own thread :D

I hear cat blood will fill the scratch, you will need alot of it.

Dumb Dumb just get a T-shirt or a Cloth to cover up your screen while not in use =)

Cats are awesome creatures hell they beat most Humans at basic tasks.

Cat claws need to be trimmed just like finger nails do. Otherwise they'll break off and that's harmful to them. Trimming isn't declawing. Declawing is amputation. big difference.

Dumb Dumb just get a T-shirt or a Cloth to cover up your screen while not in use =)

Cats are awesome creatures hell they beat most Humans at basic tasks.

If anything this will cause the cat to claw at it. They like cloth. They don't typically scratch at things that are smooth and give little to no tactile feedback. When the monitor is blank they shouldn't want to mess with it. If they see something on it that's one thing. None of my cats ever messed with my monitors while they were off. And I had an egyptian mau. They make bengals seem tame. My Cheetoh could give a crap about the monitor if it's off either. Now he does get on top of my old CRT TV in my bedroom while it's on and paw at stuff on the screen, but that's it. And he has never hurt it by doing so. Though I keep his claws trimmed.

My silver spotted Bengal scratched my 3007Wpf too, I just chucked him onto the bed and scolded him. All a day in a Bengal owner's day.

.... then he wandered off and humped my dog for a while.

Sorry to hear about the U3011. :(

D'awwwww, he's absolutely adorable! I bet you forgot all about your monitor after looking at that little face for 5 seconds!

I had a cat like that. Even when she was 5 years old, if you got mad at her, she'd drop to the ground and start doing "cute kitten things" and ensure you could no longer be angry. That cat got away with a lot of stuff as a result.

Holy crap, what happened in this thread. I know trimming is not inhumane and different from declawing, but it's still something I don't like to do. I have never trimmed any of my cat's claws and they've been fine, their nails haven't broken off or become ingrown or anything, but then again they do have free reign of the neighborhood where they get a lot of exercise and aren't locked down in the house.

To be honest, had I known my post would elicit this kind of response I would've just kept my mouth shut. Live and learn. Jeez...

Last edited:
Holy crap, what happened in this thread. I know trimming is not inhumane and different from declawing, but it's still something I don't like to do. I have never trimmed any of my cat's claws and they've been fine, their nails haven't broken off or become ingrown or anything, but then again they do have free reign of the neighborhood where they get a lot of exercise and aren't locked down in the house.

To be honest, had I known my post would elicit this kind of response I would've just kept my mouth shut. Live and learn. Jeez...

With outdoor cats you don't usually need to do anything as far as trimming. As for indoor cats, it's a MUST. Otherwise they will become ingrown, break etc. and can cause serious problems for your cat. This is a fact. Declawing on the other hand is bullshit. You can teach cats not to tear things up. I've done it.

Back