My Captivate Review

Got it finally! TexUs I blame you for my infatuation with this phone....Thank god I finally got it.

Initial impressions. Bye bye iphone
You're welcome.
LOL...
I personally love being able to see all my stocks/weather/Facebook stuff all on the front screens without having to launch apps (like iPhone).

Finally, bought a Captivate. Does anyone know if there is a way to set a password on the phone to lock the screen? I haven't been able to find it.

Settings- Location and Security... You can set your custom unlock pattern if you'd like. You might like doing a basic one like that versus a full on QWERTY password?

What is KIES?

Their POS sync software, lol... I don't use it. Drag+Drop > *

Settings- Location and Security... You can set your custom unlock pattern if you'd like. You might like doing a basic one like that versus a full on QWERTY password?

Thanks for the response. So you can't just set a numeric code?

You're welcome.
LOL...
I personally love being able to see all my stocks/weather/Facebook stuff all on the front screens without having to launch apps (like iPhone).

Their POS sync software, lol... I don't use it. Drag+Drop > *

Kies allows wired tethering. Too bad I have yet to get it to work.

maybe a dumb question, but do the widgets eat battery. And how much do live wallpapers eat battery? The galaxy one is pretty cool...

Oh, and I posted this in another thread but some dude has an easy to follow video on how to root on youtube if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IweIpSLfHxA

Well converted my Star Trek blu-ray to MKV using the makemkv program, then used Handbrake to convert that MKV to an MP4 file. Went from a 30gig MKV to a 2Gig MP4. The video plays beaustifully on the phone and actually utilizes the whole screen, not just a portion of it like on the Eternity.

While their software has improved vastly from what it used to be, I would have thought that the software would know the limitation of the phone since it knows which one you got. Apparently it doesn't as it made a 5gig MP4 file which I guess Android hates as it wouldn't transfer to the phone. Is it too much to ask for the video converter program to recognize the parameters the phone requires and format the video to such size?

I will say that having the speaker on the back sucks ass though as it is barely audible when pointed at you and even less so when pointed away from you while listening to music or watching videos.

Last edited:
Well converted my Star Trek blu-ray to MKV using the makemkv program, then used Handbrake to convert that MKV to an MP4 file. Went from a 30gig MKV to a 2Gig MP4. The video plays beaustifully on the phone and actually utilizes the whole screen, not just a portion of it like on the Eternity.

While their software has improved vastly from what it used to be, I would have thought that the software would know the limitation of the phone since it knows which one you got. Apparently it doesn't as it made a 5gig MP4 file which I guess Android hates as it wouldn't transfer to the phone. Is it too much to ask for the video converter program to recognize the parameters the phone requires and format the video to such size?

I will say that having the speaker on the back sucks ass though as it is barely audible when pointed at you and even less so when pointed away from you while listening to music or watching videos.

I thought it could play MKVs?

I thought it could play MKVs?

Wasnt sure if it could or not. The mkv that makemkv produces is 30 gigs which wont fit.

The mp4 file has great quality on the phone at only 1.5gigs. Will the mkv have better or just as good quality in a smaller file? Handbrake does have an mkv option but didnt know if it would be a compressed one or not and didnt chance it since it takes my comp about 5 hours to convert a video.

Oh, I wanted to ask, pardon me if you've said this somewhere, I haven't read the last two pages...

Have you put in a microSD card?

If so, what class? And did you put music on it and try playing it yet?

I don't know if a class 6 would be worth buying if a class 2 will playback music just as well without skipping/lag/quality loss, so i'm just asking.

Thanks.

PS: So with 16GB onboard, and up to 32 microSD possible, you can get this phone up to 48GB?

Oh, I wanted to ask, pardon me if you've said this somewhere, I haven't read the last two pages...

Have you put in a microSD card?

If so, what class? And did you put music on it and try playing it yet?

I don't know if a class 6 would be worth buying if a class 2 will playback music just as well without skipping/lag/quality loss, so i'm just asking.

Thanks.

PS: So with 16GB onboard, and up to 32 microSD possible, you can get this phone up to 48GB?

Yes, you can have up to 48GB. I can't answer the class part because the one I have in there is a class 6 8GB transcend I bought 2 years ago and never had anything else.

I have a class 6 8gig Micro SDHC as well that I was playing the movie from with no problems at all. It plays music from the card just fine too. Cant speak for lower class cards though as I dont have any around.

Wasnt sure if it could or not. The mkv that makemkv produces is 30 gigs which wont fit.

The mp4 file has great quality on the phone at only 1.5gigs. Will the mkv have better or just as good quality in a smaller file? Handbrake does have an mkv option but didnt know if it would be a compressed one or not and didnt chance it since it takes my comp about 5 hours to convert a video.

MKV and MP4 are just containers, x264 does the compression in Handbrake.
Would be nice if someone can confirm it plays MKV, all my stuff is in MKV's.

MKV and MP4 are just containers, x264 does the compression in Handbrake.
Would be nice if someone can confirm it plays MKV, all my stuff is in MKV's.

Ill go ahead and try but wont know for about 4 or 5 hours though lol.

Actually ill just do the first three chapters first.

EDIT: Well the first two tries have failed. The first video was a bit over 800 pixels so I had handbrake go the next lowest which was 775 I think but that video has failed as well. The audio will continue to play but the video stops after about a second or two saying that the video cannot be played. Was trying just the first chapter of Die Hard but will now try the first chapter of Star Trek since I know for a fact that the MP4 version plays with the exact same settings.

EDIT 2: Well encoded the first chapter of Star Trek with the exact same default settings as the MP4 version and the MKV video will not play, it does the same thing as above and plays the video for a few seconds then says it cant be played but the audio continues on.

Last edited:
Ill go ahead and try but wont know for about 4 or 5 hours though lol.

Actually ill just do the first three chapters first.

EDIT: Well the first two tries have failed. The first video was a bit over 800 pixels so I had handbrake go the next lowest which was 775 I think but that video has failed as well. The audio will continue to play but the video stops after about a second or two saying that the video cannot be played. Was trying just the first chapter of Die Hard but will now try the first chapter of Star Trek since I know for a fact that the MP4 version plays with the exact same settings.

EDIT 2: Well encoded the first chapter of Star Trek with the exact same default settings as the MP4 version and the MKV video will not play, it does the same thing as above and plays the video for a few seconds then says it cant be played but the audio continues on.

Note: in handbrake you can click somewhere at the top to make a sample encode of your source up to 60 seconds long. is good for testing and saves time.
Ok but you do see at least a few frames of video so I think the MKV splitter software must just be buggy.
Are you creating these with the "Normal" profile?
Letstalk.com and phone arena claim MKV is supported on this phone.

Last edited:
Ok but you do see at least a few frames of video so I think the MKV splitter software must just be buggy.

Yes, I do see a few frames of video and the MKV version I am trying on the phone that doesn't work, plays in VLC on my desktop just fine.

For the MP4 versions no, I am using High Profile. For the MKV it reverts to (Preset:Custom), at least thats what it says just above the selection for MP4 and MKV so I assume that means it is overriding whatever is selected in the right hand pane.

Last edited:
Note: in handbrake you can click somewhere at the top to make a sample encode of your source up to 60 seconds long. is good for testing and saves time.
Are you creating these with the "Normal" profile?
Letstalk.com and phone arena claim MKV is supported on this phone.

I'll mess with it a bit tomorrow to see if there are some settings that can be changed to make it work.

I bought one today. I love the display. You can see pixels on text and such if you look closely but the colors are the best I've seen on any phone. Turning the brightness up also helps you see this. The screen is also the perfect size.

It's fast as well. I think it's the fastest android phone in terms of graphics power. Now if only someone took advantage of that.

Any comments on usability as a phone (i.e, how loud/clear is the sound on max volume and such) ?
I'm trying to decide between this/evo/droid x.

I had some anime in MKV and it played fine. Best video playback I've seen on a phone, too. It may even look better than my LCD tv/moniters.

I had some anime in MKV and it played fine. Best video playback I've seen on a phone, too. It may even look better than my LCD tv/moniters.

What program did you use to compress the MKV? Im using handbrake and have yet to get one MKV to play properly. The MP4's that I play also look great, much better than the iTunes movies when they playback on the iPhone 3GS.

...Apparently it doesn't as it made a 5gig MP4 file which I guess Android hates as it wouldn't transfer to the phone. Is it too much to ask for the video converter program to recognize the parameters the phone requires and format the video to such size?

Android doesn't hate it, Microsoft hates it. :) The SD card is formatted in FAT32, which can't handle a single file larger than 4gb.

Back to the phone itself. I absolutely love mine, and it's going to make me cry when I take it back next week.

Taking it back because I can't get it unlocked any time soon. AT&T absolutely won't unlock it, it's all "exclusive" and shit, Samsung never got back with me, the shady unlocking services (online and local) are estimating many weeks before they get codes, and none of the cable-only unlockers want to mess with it.

That means it's useless as a phone for me here in Canada, but it's the nicest PDA and portable media player I've ever owned.

For the MP4 versions no, I am using High Profile. For the MKV it reverts to (Preset:Custom), at least thats what it says just above the selection for MP4 and MKV so I assume that means it is overriding whatever is selected in the right hand pane.

It changes to custom as soon as you alter a setting outside of the preset template.
Since the Normal preset designates the container as MP4, as soon as you change it
to MKV it says custom. So click Normal as a starting off point and make the necessary
alteration(s).

Some of my 720p mkv's work, and some don't (audio but no picture). The ones that do work are a little jerky but watchable.

edit - Tried two 720p H264 Mp4's, picture but no audio. Also tried the new Rockplayer; it stutters on anything 720p, but imo plays SD xvid avi's smoother than the default player. The watermark makes it unusable though. I really hope Samsung sorts out the codecs..

Last edited:
Some of my 720p mkv's work, and some don't (audio but no picture). The ones that do work are a little jerky but watchable.

Was there any variation in codecs between the one's that worked and the one's that didn't?

Exactly what does at&t restrict iwth regards to apps (i.e. I know they don't allow side apps (whatever that means) but I think they allow all android apps; right?)
--
Also has anyone tried the tv out feature if so how well did it work ?

Exactly what does at&t restrict iwth regards to apps (i.e. I know they don't allow side apps (whatever that means) but I think they allow all android apps; right?)
--
Also has anyone tried the tv out feature if so how well did it work ?

This allegedly works for sideloading apps.

Is there any way to turn off the +/- key in lower right corner of browser? The phone supports pinch zoom so I find this very distracting...

^drives me nuts

htc phones don't show that, it's much nicer

it also needs to support center and resize when pinch and zoomed

My only Captivate problem so far: I can't get my gmail to send. I get incoming mail fine, but when I try to send a mail it goes back to my inbox as though it sent, and nothing happens.

I got a couple emails to work earlier by unlocking my google account with their unexplained captcha page, but after 2 emails it stopped working again.

When I try to set up my outgoing mail settings, it either hangs on "Checking outgoing server settings..." or gives an error message "Setup could not finish".

Anyone else had this problem/know what is going on? I'm a bit of an android newb.

My only Captivate problem so far: I can't get my gmail to send. I get incoming mail fine, but when I try to send a mail it goes back to my inbox as though it sent, and nothing happens.

I got a couple emails to work earlier by unlocking my google account with their unexplained captcha page, but after 2 emails it stopped working again.

When I try to set up my outgoing mail settings, it either hangs on "Checking outgoing server settings..." or gives an error message "Setup could not finish".

Anyone else had this problem/know what is going on? I'm a bit of an android newb.

That's... really strange. Are you trying to send e-mail through your browser or through the bundled mail app? I haven't had a problem with the mail app.

Make sure the outgoing server settings are smtp.gmail.com, port 465, SSL, require sign in. It should've done this all for you.

Anybody know a way to customize individual notification sounds? Like Facebook, text, and emails havin their own different tones?

while you arein the messaging app hit the option button and go to settings you can customize in there. As far as notifications go you can customize them through the main settings menu.

Back