My Cable high speed has gone bonked

In the past few weeks (3 at most, more likely 2) I have noticed some strange occurances with my speeds, and sometimes lack of connections. I will click on firefox and it some times wont load google (my homepage) for 10 seconds and sometimes it wont load it at all. Other times I will be surfing and it will be slow as the dickins and again sometimes when I click one of my favorites in a new tab or new window it wont load at all. I close down firefox, come back and the same thing, so I give4 it a while come back and its fine.

My set up. Cable modem, hooked up to Netgear 802.11b router, MR814 v3. Netgear bridge (for XBOX which has in the past few weeks seen some extreme lag, but other times none at all, as well as sometimes not being able to sign in the first or second timesl) and another netgear PCI card for the other comp.

Where should I start my trouble shooting?
Thanks, I took off work today because I hate it and have other stuff (like this) to do (mainly find another job) so I hope to get this all fixed by tonight.

Download a program called "Ping Plotter". It will allow you to continuously ping a host on the internet (Say www.google.com) and it will log (and graph) both the latency and whether or not you have any packet loss (which it sounds like you do).

If you find some packet loss, contact your cable provider and tell them what's going on. I had the same problem you are having now. It turns out the cble company upgraded their network, but still had some old modems on it (one of which was mine). It was cutting out every 5 mins or so for 30 seconds. I had to make the tech wait with me until ping plotter showed some loss and then had him try to test the modem.. He couldn't connect to it, and they replaced the modem..

Ping Plotter has a free version that I use and it works just fine.

Riley

Back