My boss does photography and video editing as a hobby...

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
He was looking to build a new system so I recommended the folllowing to get him a best of both worlds performance for his video compiling and photoshop work.

Threadripper 2970WX
MSI X399 gaming pro carbon AC X399
Corsair 64Gb Bengance DDR4 3200
MST RTX 2080 DUKE 8G OC
Corsair 850W RMx series RMX80X power supply.
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo NVME drive.
Pair of WD 10TB Red WD100EFAX HDD's (raid 1 for mirroring)
Corsair 600Q case (didn't want windows or flash)
Corsai Hydro series H150i PRO water cooler.
and a LG 27UD58-B monitor for his editing work (he will probably not get this.)

Looks like a solid build to me. He didn't want to spend top dollar on his components because it's over kill and this is replacing a older PC. He has a different system he uses to mess with VR on with a 1080ti in it. Looking at new cards this 2080 was cheaper than available 1080ti's.

Last edited:
He was looking to build a new system so I recommended the folllowing to get him a best of both worlds performance for his video compiling and photoshop work.

Threadripper 2970WX
MST RTX 2080 DUKE 8G OC
Corsai Hydro series H50i PRO water cooler.

Looks like a solid build to me. He didn't want to spend top dollar on his components because it's over kill and this is replacing a older PC. He has a different system he uses to mess with VR on with a 1080ti in it. Looking at new cards this 2080 was cheaper than available 1080ti's.

I’d get a better CPU cooler.

Didn't go with a 32 core threadripper, didn't go with 128gb of ram, went with the evo as opposed to the Pro NVME Drive, Didn't go for a high end 4k monitor, Didn't go for faster 10TB drives, didn't go for super speed ram. That's off the top of my head.

Previous higher end build I specced out was closer to 6k.

If he uses Adobe Premiere Pro CC for video editing you may be better off with the 2950X. Adobe programs have a rough time knowing what to to with the 2770 and 2990WX chips. (Because they have 2 CCX modules without direct memory access)

HardOCP's recent article showing Adobe Premier performance

If he uses Adobe Premiere Pro CC for video editing you may be better off with the 2950X. Adobe programs have a rough time knowing what to to with the 2770 and 2990WX chips. (Because they have 2 CCX modules without direct memory access)

HardOCP's recent article showing Adobe Premier performance

It's my feeling this will be addressed with patching. It is my IT gut telling me this. Regardless he doesn't use that program for his video editing. Honestly I'm surprised he is using Pinnacle Studio 22 that in spite tens of minutes of searching on google I could find NO performance testing on with any current CPU's.

It's my feeling this will be addressed with patching. It is my IT gut telling me this. Regardless he doesn't use that program for his video editing. Honestly I'm surprised he is using Pinnacle Studio 22 that in spite tens of minutes of searching on google I could find NO performance testing on with any current CPU's.
I don't even know if that would support more than 4 cores, it's consumer software. I have a hard time believing it will even utilize half the cpu. Though maybe in just being a snob. Premiere, avid, fcp, or gtfo.

At least hook him up with the free version of DaVinci resolve.

I don't even know if that would support more than 4 cores, it's consumer software. I have a hard time believing it will even utilize half the cpu. Though maybe in just being a snob. Premiere, avid, fcp, or gtfo.

At least hook him up with the free version of DaVinci resolve.

He has an 8 thread system and it uses that. I'll pass along the recommendation though. Especially if we see it under utilizing the cores.

I don't think that cooler will be very well suited for a Thread Ripper. Those CPUs are huge and need coolers specifically designed for them. Just looking at pictures of it and it doesn't seem to be wide enough to cover the whole CPU die. It might not work.

edit
After looking at the tech specs you'll have to buy the TR4 bracket for it to mount. I would look into other cooling solutions that were built with the TR4 in mind.

The Thermalright Threadripper aircooler HardOCP recently reviewed would make a great choice (Silver Arrow TR4).

I wouldn't trust the Enermax TR4 AIO options for a build for a friend. (Perhaps for one's self, but the reliability concerns of their earlier units make me hesitant to recommend them as an option for a friend's build)

Has anyone tried the arctic cooling Threadripper heatsink? It's super affordable, just don't know if it's too cheap.

Threadripper 2970WX
MST RTX 2080 DUKE 8G OC
Corsai Hydro series H150i PRO water cooler.

You need to look at the software suites and workflow he uses and build around that. Anyone can just pick out a bunch of components.

Back