My BFG 7800GTX OC is here - the PCIE to 4 PIN MOLEX Power connector is not..

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
Well the title about says it all. My BFG 7800GTX OC arrived today and as I went to install it in my new box I realized that they had included a 4 Pin Molex to 2 4 Pin Molexs Y Power adapter cable instead of the PCIE 8 Pin to 4 Pin Molex Power adapter cable. So when I turn the computer on it lowers the clock speeds of the card and I can't play any games.

I called BFG and they said to try and find a connector locally - well I looked online at Compusa, Radioshack, CircuitCity, and Best Buy. None of them have it - no Fry's around. BFG said if I couldn't find one that they could ship one out but it would take a few days. I really wanted this for the 3 day weekend - any ideas where to get one of these cables from - other than the stores I've mentioned? I know Newegg has them for $6.00 but again it wouldn't be here by the weekend - unless I pay $25 for Overnight :O

Any suggestions would be great!

dont kill anything becuse jail would suck and they prolly wouldnt let you bring your compuer. i know if this happened to me i would very pist

if you have to, I guess you could abuse a return policy, just to have the connector for a few days... buy a card you know has one, then return it... CircuitShitty has a 30 day no questions $ back policy... and yes, I know that's terrible, so only to do in an emergency.

revenant said:
if you have to, I guess you could abuse a return policy, just to have the connector for a few days... buy a card you know has one, then return it... CircuitShitty has a 30 day no questions $ back policy... and yes, I know that's terrible, so only to do in an emergency.

I'd actually thought about that, but I just can't talk myself into it - DAMN MORALS :mad:

revenant said:

What is the difference between this and stealing?

Spacy9 said:
I'd actually thought about that, but I just can't talk myself into it - DAMN MORALS :mad:
What's wrong with taking advantage of their advertised return policy?

robberbaron said:
It's perfectly legal.

robberbaron said:

morally:
well with stealing you'd actually take the product off the premises without paying for it, ever.

if using it for <30 days and returning it, no questions asked, is their return policy then there's nothing wrong with it. if it goes against their policy then it is just dishonest.

legally:
nothing. the closet thing to 'stealing' in US law is actually defined as "Theft." Absuing a return policy in this manner does not come anywhere close to coming near the legal definition. They would have to sue you in civil court (because violating a contract isn't a criminal matter).

Spacy9 said:

there's nothing morally wrong with it. its their damn policy. let your testicles descend.

http://www.compusa.com/terms.asp#returns

CompUSA Satisfaction Promise
In-Store Purchases
At CompUSA, we believe in being fair to our customers. If you are not satisfied with a product you purchased from us and you return the product with the original receipt or invoice within 21 days of purchase or invoice date, you may exchange the product or receive a refund, except as explained below. If you do not have the original receipt, you may exchange unopened product for a CompUSA merchandise card. Items must be in new condition, with the original box, packaging, manuals, accessories, and UPC code. Opened software, games, and videos may only be exchanged for the same title. Open notebook computers, projectors, and cameras may only be exchanged for a CompUSA merchandise card.

Credit card refunds will be credited to the original credit card. Purchases made by cash or check over $250 will be refunded by a check from our corporate office within 10 business days.

Spacy9 said:
Well the title about says it all. My BFG 7800GTX OC arrived today and as I went to install it in my new box I realized that they had included a 4 Pin Molex to 2 4 Pin Molexs Y Power adapter cable instead of the PCIE 8 Pin to 4 Pin Molex Power adapter cable. So when I turn the computer on it lowers the clock speeds of the card and I can't play any games.

I called BFG and they said to try and find a connector locally - well I looked online at Compusa, Radioshack, CircuitCity, and Best Buy. None of them have it - no Fry's around. BFG said if I couldn't find one that they could ship one out but it would take a few days. I really wanted this for the 3 day weekend - any ideas where to get one of these cables from - other than the stores I've mentioned? I know Newegg has them for $6.00 but again it wouldn't be here by the weekend - unless I pay $25 for Overnight :O

Any suggestions would be great!

Scream at BFG until they overnight it to you for free :)

sativa said:
let your testicles descend
++

Spacy9 said:
the PCIE 8 Pin to 4 Pin Molex Power adapter cable.
What are you talking about?

1) The PCI-E connector is 6 pins, not 8
2) Why would you want a PCI-E to molex adapter, when you need a PCI-E connection for the video card?
You realize going by what you said, you want something to convert your PCI-E connection into a regular molex.

Honestly, sometimes the stuff I read on here leaves me speechless.

Morally questionable at least.

Last I heard, the USSR had a 15% open box fee.

I'd go with the "scream at BFG" option, it's their fault after all so just make 'em fix it. If you haven't already.

yep, screaming at BFG or whoever you bought it from assuming the package looked open when it arrived lol

I know this is a stretch, but if you were planning on upgrading your PSU for any reason this could be the time. Go to a retail store and buy a Antec Neopower or any other PSU that has native PCI-E. I know it's a stretch- but I'm just brainstorming here.

EDIT: Do you have a local friend that doesn't need their connector?

EDIT: I have an unused connector I'll overnight you if you Paypal the cost of USPS overnight delivery- I'm being serious.

EnderW said:
++

2) Why would you want a PCI-E to molex adapter, when you need a PCI-E connection for the video card?
You realize going by what you said, you want something to convert your PCI-E connection into a regular molex.

Okay Jackass, excuse me for typing 8 instead of 6. And yes I do know that I want to convert the PCI-E connection into a regular molex, how else can I get the power to the card? PCI-E - Adapter - 4 Pin - Power supply...

Now go back to your little hole in the ground.

Hey Spacy9, I'm sorry to hear that you appear to have received the wrong cable. We'll get you taken care of, no "screaming" required. PM! :D

Let that be a lesson to you, for not haveing a PSU with native PCIe!

j/k

But really, this might be a good excuse to go out and get a real PSU with native PCIe and 24pin ATX...

Regarding the whole borrowing thing... I've done that for a couple of lans before. Buy a 50ft Coax cable, run it through some rooms for the night, box it up in morning. 100% legit, no-one lost out, we had our lans. :cool:

Spacy9 said:
Okay Jackass, excuse me for typing 8 instead of 6. And yes I do know that I want to convert the PCI-E connection into a regular molex, how else can I get the power to the card? PCI-E - Adapter - 4 Pin - Power supply...

Now go back to your little hole in the ground.
Don't get mad at me because you're confused.
The adapter is for your PSU, not the video card. You're going the wrong direction.

Michael Grey said:
Hey Spacy9, I'm sorry to hear that you appear to have received the wrong cable. We'll get you taken care of, no "screaming" required. PM! :D

I sent you a PM (well a couple) with all of my info and the RMA # that they have given me. I appreciate any help and will be more than happy to let everyone know of the service I receive!

EnderW said:
Don't get mad at me because you're confused.
The adapter is for your PSU, not the video card. You're going the wrong direction.

I’m not mad at anyone, I just want the adapter. Your post criticizing my semantics didn’t help any and just seemed rude. So I apologize if that was not your intent.

Michael Grey said:

Well, just an update. Today is the 11th, I made the call to BFG on 6/30 and Michael said he would speed the process up as much as he could on the same day. I sent him the RMA number that they had given me and all of my personal information. So it has been over a week and I still have not received the correct power adapter to replace the 'mispacked' on that I received.

I would have to say that I am very disappointed with BFGs customer service - especially if this is being rushed! :eek:

Spacy9 said:
Well, just an update. Today is the 11th, I made the call to BFG on 6/30 and Michael said he would speed the process up as much as he could on the same day. I sent him the RMA number that they had given me and all of my personal information. So it has been over a week and I still have not received the correct power adapter to replace the 'mispacked' on that I received.

I would have to say that I am very disappointed with BFGs customer service - especially if this is being rushed! :eek:

Eek indeed. :eek:

I(illa Bee said:
Let that be a lesson to you, for not haveing a PSU with native PCIe!

j/k

But really, this might be a good excuse to go out and get a real PSU with native PCIe and 24pin ATX...

Killa... you card. lol

EDIT: he's right tho

Spacy9 said:

d00d. I have two of those cables here... let me know if you want me to ship them to you... just $5 for shipping. PM me if interested.

Well the cable did indeed show up today and Michael was very apologetic about it not being overnighted so I guess that restores my faith in them - plus the card kicking ass doesn't hurt either. Here is the PM from Michael if anyones interested:

"William,

We apologize that you haven’t received the PCI-E power cable yet. According to our shipping records it should arrive today. The RMA you setup for a PCI-E power able was noted as needing to be shipped overnight, however it appears that the note got erased. This was a mistake on our part and I thank you for promptly bringing this to our attention. This type of oversight is not a common occurrence for BFG, and now that you made us aware of the problem we can take steps to prevent it from happening again. Once again we apologize for this happening and if there is anything else we can help you with please feel free ask.

Best Regards,
www.bfggaming.com "

Thank you Michael for trying to personally help - that is rare for a company.

Well, that /is/ nice... but "and just so you don't feel there is any bad water between us, we are mailing you another 7800GTX free of charge!" would have been really /really/ extra nice - lol. As _if_... Well, we can always dream. ;)

revenant said:
Well, that /is/ nice... but "and just so you don't feel there is any bad water between us, we are mailing you another 7800GTX free of charge!" would have been really /really/ extra nice - lol. As _if_... Well, we can always dream. ;)

if they do that, i may have to make sure that my other one coming has the "wrong" connector. :D

hehehe

dude... you guys act like compusa... a million dollar company is losing money off a missing molex adapter. Come on people, their jacking us on the cards, were not jacking them.

Glad to hear you got your adapter, man. Better late than never. Now go buy a native PCIe PSU. :D

BFG's customer service has been great from what I've heard, though. My uncle had a BFG 6800 Ultra; he bought a second one and put them into SLI just a few days ago and now neither of them work. He has no clue how this happened, if it's his fault or if the motherboard or new video card did something. He called up BFG and as soon as they receive both cards, they're rushing a pair of brand new 6800s out. Go BFG!

And I just have to correct this idiot:

EnderW said:

Ender, aside from the 6/8 typo, what he said was 100% correct. He did, indeed, get a PCI-E to Molex adapter.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=adapter

Read that, it's the definition for the word "adapter". The adapter he got was PCI-E to Molex, and you are wrong. His adapter changes a female PCI-E power port into a male molex port. Hence, it is a PCI-E to modelx adapter.

It's idiots like these that ruin the internet.. :eek:

I forget which is considered the male or female of a molex... really whether you consider the plastic or the actual pins. I guess it wouldnt be considered the plastic, though I thought this was the case, but would make more sense by outward appeareance. You plug the PSU into the receptacle.

Anyways, it's 2 molexes, that go to one PCI-e video, so it was damn confusing. I also believe they did NOT send the wrong cable altogehter. You usually get one of those too as well to free molexes for the other adapter. So you read it and wonder if maybe he dropped it and just jumped to conclusions by seeing an unusable piece and the like. Lets be civil about it though.

texuspete00 said:
I forget which is considered the male or female of a molex... really whether you consider the plastic or the actual pins. I guess it wouldnt be considered the plastic, though I thought this was the case, but would make more sense by outward appeareance. You plug the PSU into the receptacle.

Anyways, it's 2 molexes, that go to one PCI-e video, so it was damn confusing. I also believe they did NOT send the wrong cable altogehter. You usually get one of those too as well to free molexes for the other adapter. So you read it and wonder if maybe he dropped it and just jumped to conclusions by seeing an unusable piece and the like. Lets be civil about it though.

I definitely did NOT drop it or misplace it. If you look at the pictures on Newegg they show the PCI-E to 4 PIN Molex connector only, not the PCI-E to 4 PIN and 4 PIN Y Adapter. This was opened up on the kitchen table with nothing else around, it would have been impossible to misplace the piece - it just wasn't included, or I should say the wrong piece was included. You'd have to have one messy house to drop something like that and not notice. The guy I talked to at BFG said they had a couple of 'mispacks' like that, so it wasn't just me.

Back