My BenQ FP241WZ

When using the BFI do you notice a decrease in brightness?

Can you notice flicker while staring at a still video screen? (for example an fps game running but keep your character still and observe the scene).

Have your tried the Senseye demo feature? it splits the screen in half to show you the affect it has, does it enchance the picture, or alter it for the worse.

( i should pay you for answering all of these lol)

plz post up more info on this monitor, I am considering it as my friend has the W model and it's very nice.

When you feed this monitor a 1600x1200 signal from your PC via DVI in 1:1 mode, do you get proper full screen height video with black bars on both sides?

What is lag like on this monitor?

I don't see what BFI has to do with resolution (or high definition). Just take any camera, even standard definition, videotape your monitor, then play back the video and see if you see the "screening" effect show on the video on BeHardware or not. If it "screens" then it's not true BFI.

Well here you go Pete,
This is a video of a pure white screen with perfect motion on and perfect motion off. I'll let you be the judge. I hope you have broadband. :)
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/higgy57/?action=view&current=S5030087.flv

Higgy, can you download some demos to test for ghosting and download some HD movie trailers, to test the monitor overall performance. Please post pictures

Trailers
http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Demos
http://battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/bf/BF2142_Demo_News.aspx
http://filelist.filefront.com/LatestGameDemos
I downloaded Battlefield 2142 demo to experiment with perfect motion. I did not notice any ghosting with perfect motion on or off so I can't address the benefits of that. I did notice a flickering with perfect motion on. I don't know if the benefits of anti-ghosting would outweigh the annoyance of the flickering. I also noticed the flickering while watching videos. It was less noticeable.

I can see a slight discoloration, however I think with proper tweaking that could be marginalized.

im sold :)

When using the BFI do you notice a decrease in brightness?

Can you notice flicker while staring at a still video screen? (for example an fps game running but keep your character still and observe the scene).

Have your tried the Senseye demo feature? it splits the screen in half to show you the affect it has, does it enchance the picture, or alter it for the worse.

( i should pay you for answering all of these lol)
Yes, the brightness decreases the more you turn perfect motion on, and the flickering increases. In the manual it says to increase the brightness to counteract this. I tried the Senseye demo and it does enhance the picture. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it on.:)

When you feed this monitor a 1600x1200 signal from your PC via DVI in 1:1 mode, do you get proper full screen height video with black bars on both sides?

What is lag like on this monitor?
Yes, I tried it and it had the proper height and black bars on the side. I haven't noticed any lag in this monitor at all.

So with perfect motion on, you do notice flickering of static images as well as during motion (video/games)?
Now i'm wondering if I should just save $100 an get the non-Z model.
Ross

higgy,
Thanks for the vid!! I can't really make out whats going on in this vid, but it does not appear to look at all like the screening vid behardware posted in their preview (http://www.behardware.com/articles/646-2/benq-fp241wz-1rst-lcd-with-screening.html). Higgy, the video shows some sort of pulsing light or something, its hard to tell. Anyway, are these pulsations noticeable at all in person?
Ross

The pulses around the edges are not visible in person. Though there is a different flickering that is not noticeable in the video.

So with perfect motion on, you do notice flickering of static images as well as during motion (video/games)?
Now i'm wondering if I should just save $100 an get the non-Z model.
Ross
Yes. This is just my opinion. Maybe someone else will have a different experience with it. I hate to steer you in the wrong direction. I will probably not use the perfect motion. It is very easy to turn on and off. It is the only button on the side with a bump on the top of it so you don't even have to look at it to switch it on or off, you can feel it.

Yes, the brightness decreases the more you turn perfect motion on, and the flickering increases. In the manual it says to increase the brightness to counteract this. I tried the Senseye demo and it does enhance the picture. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it on.:)

So is the Perfect Motion adjustable? I thought it was just on or off...

Apparently the flickering is a result of the black frames getting inserted in between every other frame of video. At only 60-75 Hz, to be honest I'm not surprised that it's noticeable. A higher refresh rate would reduce or perhaps eliminate the flickering. Do you notice sparkle in games and videos?

Sounds to me like Perfect Motion is better left off. I think I'd rather have ghosting than flickering, but you said you didn't notice any ghosting in BF even with PM turned off.

I'm still trying to determine if the FP241WZ and VW are worth the increase in price over the vanilla 241W if great image quality is all you need. BenQ makes them sound great on paper, but so far I'm not convinced that the FP241 has inferior image quality if Perfect Motion just adds flickering and sparkle. :confused:

Hello Higgy,

Did you succeed to solve the problem with the 64-bit drivers or software. Is this monitor a "Vista premium certified."? What Benq told you?

And did you find what kind of panel is it?

Thank you for your help

Stefannyc

i currently own a FP241W and i have the "black-out" problem(screen goes black for a second or two..)

Does the FP241WZ have the same problem?? Mine had this problem after a week or so... and the monitor is almost always on, if someone can test it to tell me/us(not the only one intrigued)

So is the Perfect Motion adjustable? I thought it was just on or off...

Apparently the flickering is a result of the black frames getting inserted in between every other frame of video. At only 60-75 Hz, to be honest I'm not surprised that it's noticeable. A higher refresh rate would reduce or perhaps eliminate the flickering. Do you notice sparkle in games and videos?

Sounds to me like Perfect Motion is better left off. I think I'd rather have ghosting than flickering, but you said you didn't notice any ghosting in BF even with PM turned off.

I'm still trying to determine if the FP241WZ and VW are worth the increase in price over the vanilla 241W if great image quality is all you need. BenQ makes them sound great on paper, but so far I'm not convinced that the FP241 has inferior image quality if Perfect Motion just adds flickering and sparkle. :confused:

Over on the W thread, n0xlf has a good review of his WZ model. He liked perfect motion with his game play. It's on page 149, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1066372&page=149 He said he didn't notice the flickering during game play. He has a pretty good description of perfect motion, you should read it.

Hey Stefan, thanks for reminding me about calling BenQ. They're closed right now, Pacific time zone, I'll call them later. I'll ask them about the type of panel, and get back to you.

i currently own a FP241W and i have the "black-out" problem(screen goes black for a second or two..)

Does the FP241WZ have the same problem?? Mine had this problem after a week or so... and the monitor is almost always on, if someone can test it to tell me/us(not the only one intrigued)

I haven't had that problem yet, and hope not to. Are you sure that this is a problem with the monitor? Or maybe the graphics card? Or could it be an operating system problem? I wonder if any one running Vista has had that problem? Has anyone had this problem while using an input other than the computer? Maybe the next time it happens you could switch inputs and see if it stops?

I talked to BenQ U.S. and they said they are still working on 64-bit software for us 64 teeth biters:D . Bummer :( His supervisor is supposed to call back with details of the panel type. I also ask them about the web cam that is made to plug into the top of this monitor. More later.

Higgy,

If I understand well, this monitor support 64-bit, so vista certified, but no software is available for the moment?

Stefan

Stefan, yes this monitor is advertised as Vista premium certified. I guess that only means 32 bit. Actually, this is one beautiful monitor! It runs just fine on the windows 64-bit drivers, it just does not have 64 bit drivers from BenQ yet. I guess I will have to be patient to have my desktop rotate when I rotate the display on the stand.

I haven't had that problem yet, and hope not to. Are you sure that this is a problem with the monitor? Or maybe the graphics card? Or could it be an operating system problem? I wonder if any one running Vista has had that problem? Has anyone had this problem while using an input other than the computer? Maybe the next time it happens you could switch inputs and see if it stops?

The problem is caused by the monitor, i'm not the only one having it(actually rare are those who dont... :(). It's not driver related nor is it OS. People with different rig, different OS, different video card (manufacturer) have it... it blows since this monitor is perfect on everything, that's the only down side...

It has only happened to me on DVI, never happened with my ps3 via HDMI. I cannot try switching back and forth since it only last about a second or so :p

Over on the W thread, n0xlf has a good review of his WZ model. He liked perfect motion with his game play. It's on page 149, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1066372&page=149 He said he didn't notice the flickering during game play. He has a pretty good description of perfect motion, you should read it.

I'll do that, thanks. :)

I'm still a bit unclear about the technical differences between the VW and WZ models. Obviously the design is different...and according to the BenQ site the WZ actually has one additional USB port and the ability to pivot while the VW can't swivel or pivot. Despite that, the VW has a higher MSRP. I guess that's due to the metallic frame, but I can't decide if it looks high-tech or cheesy.

If the rumors are true about the WZ having a better picture than the W then it definitely sounds like the model to get, assuming it doesn't cost a great deal more. Where are you guys getting the best price on the WZ?

Just bought the FP241WZ from TechOnWeb. :) :) :) Thank you for your help. I choose the ground delivery. I should received it end of next week.

The problem is caused by the monitor, i'm not the only one having it(actually rare are those who dont... :(). It's not driver related nor is it OS. People with different rig, different OS, different video card (manufacturer) have it... it blows since this monitor is perfect on everything, that's the only down side...

Is this the W or WZ. Higgy has not mentioned it, I wonder how many WZ's are affected. No one over on the UK forums I read has mentioned it either (on the W) so I am not sure how widespread this is?

Is there a thread somewhere that details who it does and doesnt affect and what the spec difference is?

Mike

This is the place where I bought mine. They are rated very high with reseller ratings. I was very happy with their service. They are back in stock now. Good luck!
http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=D48436&src=FG

I was just about to order but right before I got to the final order page, I noticed that they charge tax in CA, ugh! I thought they are based in TX but I guess they have a warehouse in CA. Deal killer for me, I gotta look elsewhere or wait. :(

Is this the W or WZ. Higgy has not mentioned it, I wonder how many WZ's are affected. No one over on the UK forums I read has mentioned it either (on the W) so I am not sure how widespread this is?

Is there a thread somewhere that details who it does and doesnt affect and what the spec difference is?

Mike

I ask Higgy, because i have a W and have this problem and was wondering if the WZ had it, so far no (but only one or two people have it, and it's really new...). Just search the FP241W thread and you'll see a lot of people with this problem (i'm the only one calling it "black-out" though so don't search for that lol)

Yeah, I'd really like to know about the blank signal (black-out) problem where the screen suddenly goes blank as if it lost the signal for a fraction of a second, then turns back on. This seems to be happening to nearly every non-WZ version. However, the consistency of this problem is diverse, from one black out in a month of usage or more to several times in the span of a few minutes. Some peole reported not seeing any blackouts until a week later since they received the monitor, some only after a few days, some a whole month or two.

Does the WZ have this same problem? This would be the biggest deterrent, although there are several others since it isn't a perfect monitor, despite what people claim.

Yeah, I'd really like to know about the blank signal (black-out) problem where the screen suddenly goes blank as if it lost the signal for a fraction of a second, then turns back on. This seems to be happening to nearly every non-WZ version. However, the consistency of this problem is diverse, from one black out in a month of usage or more to several times in the span of a few minutes. Some peole reported not seeing any blackouts until a week later since they received the monitor, some only after a few days, some a whole month or two.

Does the WZ have this same problem? This would be the biggest deterrent, although there are several others since it isn't a perfect monitor, despite what people claim.

I have this problem (W model), first week no problem, then the second it started happening. It can happened once a day/other day or 2 times in 5 second. But i uninstalled my Omega Drivers and installed the latest ATI drivers and so far no black-out for a complete day *keeping fingers crossed!*

And to me it is its only flaw, the PIP not fully working i couldn't care less, the stand is not tilting, and the picture is awesome... The only problem i have with is is the black-out.. and hoping it's gone

In my mind, there are many flaws or areas of improvement for the BenQ Z and WZ monitors.

Here's my ideal monitor - anything that doesn't live up to it can be improved.
-full PIP usability (and PbP too)
-card reader like the Dell monitor has
-3 or 4 USB 2.0 ports
-component
-composite
-s-video
-VGA
-DVI x2
-HDMI 1.3 x2
-10-bit monitor (not the 8-bit now)
-LEDs to achieve over 100% of the NTSC color gamut
-perfectly accurate colors
-BFI or the Samsung tech that actually works well
-500 brightness
-at least 2,000:1 contrast, but ideally more (100,000:1) - perhaps achieving it through local dimming
-5ms g2g or less
-27"-30"
-2560x1600 resolution
-unnoticeable input lag
-good looking monitor + stand
-good cable management
-low power consumption
-no blank signal problem
-rotating monitor and fully adjustable stand
-HDCP complaint for DVI and HDMI
-75 hertz
-no backlight bleed (homogenity of backlight)
-no dead pixels
-no color banding
-no dead or stuck pixels
-S-IPS panel (imo the best type of panel)
-no twinkling or noise when watching movies/DVDs
-sharp text on VGA (so sharp that there is no noticeable difference in DVI)
-no tearing
-good button placement in front
-Kensington lock hole

Therefore, I feel this monitor is far from perfect. With the blank signal problem, its unbearable, but perhaps if that were fixed, it would be tolerable and acceptable. Am I asking too much? No. After all, it is the "perfect" monitor. Is it going to happen? Probably not, so there are a few features I can sacrifice and live with, but a blank signal, red saturation on VGA, 72% of NTSC color gamut, and untrue PIP are big deterrants for me.

I would rather 120hz instead of the 75.

10bit panels, local dimming, and hdmi1.3 capeable display would be golden. Maybe in late 08.

Another little question for anyone who has the WZ including Higgy, how is the backlight uniformity?

When you are on a black screen is there much or any backlight bleed and is it uniform?

Also, is the backlight level adjustable on the BenQ?

Cheers,

Mike

Back