My Basement Datacenter (21 Pics)

Sweet setup!

You must have some reallly reaaally nice protections systems for your house. (Fire/Theft) Not sure if I would have it in the basement, people around here (MA) get flooded basements quite often.

Btw, what did you goto school for? Computer science? or Computer Engineering? I'm taking up compE next year at WIT in Boston.

blu3_scr33n said:
Sweet setup!

You must have some reallly reaaally nice protections systems for your house. (Fire/Theft) Not sure if I would have it in the basement, people around here (MA) get flooded basements quite often.

Btw, what did you goto school for? Computer science? or Computer Engineering? I'm taking up compE next year at WIT in Boston.
If either of the two, I'd imagine CE, but that doesn't cover his knowledge on all this Cisco/Sun stuff. I'm sure he has all sorts of certifications. Afterall, he designed some gear for Cisco?

By the way, I'm pursuing CE this fall at the University of Maryland Baltimore County :)

That setup is so sick. What kind of business do you do? What kind of internet connection do you have?

blu3_scr33n said:
Sweet setup!

Hey, I'm in CE too - at Penn State.

I'll be a junior next year, however I'm currently an intern at an IT service company. Like jesus said, you won't learn anything Cisco related in your major, unless of course, you find a few electives that go over it. And to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a VoIP class offered at any school.

Surprisingly, the Cisco VoIP stuff is very easy to pick up on, at least for me. I didn't know anything about IP telephony prior to a month ago, but now I can do just about anything and solve just about any problem within CallManager or Unity. Both applications are configured via a web interface, which is a strange twist coming from Cisco and their liking toward a terminal interface.

But yeah, it's interesting stuff - much more fun than solving Windows problems all day long... Now, if only I could understand Cisco routers/switches better...those are much harder to pick up on :)

Until you put up a 64 player BF2 server the entire setup is pointless. :D

I live around equipment like that all day long, last thing I would ever want is it in my home. Screw that.

I sure hope your not the one paying the electricity bills...good Lord.

|CR|Constantine said:
Until you put up a 64 player BF2 server the entire setup is pointless. :D

I live around equipment like that all day long, last thing I would ever want is it in my home. Screw that.

I sure hope your not the one paying the electricity bills...good Lord.

Oh yes... I'm paying:

electric.jpg

lockheed2266 said:
That setup is so sick. What kind of business do you do? What kind of internet connection do you have?

This network in my house is for my family's business... they work with the entertainment industry and transportation...

I personally work for a company that specializes in Cisco IPT in dealing with Fortune 500 companys.

wtpc1.jpg

wtpc2.jpg

We are on an OC-3 fiber loop between my house and the other office, other nodes are on DS1 circuites into the cloud.

We are now streaming A LOT of video content overseas to the far east, so most network activity is during the evening and the night.

I have to admit that is one very nice house setup, definatly give you props on all the work related on building that. Keep up the good work glad to see people keeping busy.

i 2nd what johnboy said... Man this thing is amazing , and your power bill......Freakin outa this world...Wish i lived next to ya :)

With regard to the electric bill, have you looked into commerical rates? Or would that lead to other costs that are likely to offset the savings?

that network is too [H]ot for a home network.

and btw, thx for the internal ip scheme, what are your external ips? :p i guess this is the part where i would say, "you should probably take those out." i am paranoid with releasing any of that type of information.

edit: your LAN parties must kick some major [H]ard ass! lol

lol

they are doing the same as me

Using top level workers as relay points.

I am currently building the same type of thing under my stairs.... noisy though.

so question, where does all the cat5 go? i see alot there, more than just for the servers and such? do you have every single room in your house wired?

why is your cablevision fiber nid grounded? :confused:

Flecom - I work for a FTTP company and we have to ground our NID's as well. The reason we do this is for locating services. Most locating services connect a toner to the ground wire in the outside plant and then use a receiver that pics up the tone and tells you where the wire is. However, for it to work you have to have both sides grounded.

Could be completely off base but that's why we ground ours.

why is your cablevision fiber nid grounded? :confused:

Is it just me, or I gotta learn my CISCO and get my CCNE. Very nice setup.
Thanks

Back