My Basement Datacenter (21 Pics)

killerasp said:
it seems as if what you have there is mission critical stuff...why not put it at co-lo?
Don't worry, as I mentioned aboved, we have some of our servers colocated at a very respectible datacenter in New York City.

Here is a picture of our cabinet. This the MISSION CRITICAL stuff:

The whole cabinet:
30.jpg

3 HP DL380 G3 Servers:
28.jpg

Back of the servers and the PIX515E firewall (required by the colo company):
29.jpg

The back of the Cisco VPN Concentrator:
31.jpg

Now the question is... whats your address...

And please, don't mind the black van in your street. :p

what would you say is the best/cheapest place to get some polycom/cisco IP phones...or have any spares you wanna sell ;) ?

Kaos said:
what would you say is the best/cheapest place to get some polycom/cisco IP phones...or have any spares you wanna sell ;) ?

Cisco IP phones don't go cheap, a 7940 (a 2 line phone), goes for about $300 retail price. The 6 line version, a 7960, is about $400. The 7970 color phone you see here on his desk is $700. I doubt you will find places that sell them for much less than that, even if they are used.

Arch said:
Cisco IP phones don't go cheap, a 7940 (a 2 line phone), goes for about $300 retail price. The 6 line version, a 7960, is about $400. The 7970 color phone you see here on his desk is $700. I doubt you will find places that sell them for much less than that, even if they are used.
I have a 7971G-GE buddy, don't insult my phone! :p

Arch said:
Same thing :)

CP-7970G-CH1 7970 IP Phone with one Station User License $890
CP-7971G-GE-CH1 IP Phone 7971G-GE for Channels with 1 Station User License $1,040

The only difference between the 7970 and the 7971 is the gig ethernet port on the back.

why do i need a gigE port on my fu**ing telephone :D ?

really nice setup! currently doing my Cisco CCNA...wish i could get my hands on your Cisco stuff :)

fabian` said:
why do i need a gigE port on my fu**ing telephone :D ?

really nice setup! currently doing my Cisco CCNA...wish i could get my hands on your Cisco stuff :)
If you are running gigabit to all the desktops, the phone will be able to passthrough gigabit traffic.

How is your ATM connected to the rest of this? Does it go into the Marconi and then into your big Cisco switch or what? Or both? Huh?

ikari303 said:
How is your ATM connected to the rest of this? Does it go into the Marconi and then into your big Cisco switch or what? Or both? Huh?
Both.

I'm assuming that house's location was specific in regards to the backbones distance?

If you don't mind me asking (you can pm me), how much is that connection setting you back? How much are they charging per incriments? I'm looking at aquiring a large connection but it's kind of a gray area because they either tend to gouge you or they don't give you an accurate figure and it's really hard to estimate because it seems that your cost is greatly affected by your telco or the distance you are from the backbone.

Ockie said:
I'm assuming that house's location was specific in regards to the backbones distance?

If you don't mind me asking (you can pm me), how much is that connection setting you back? How much are they charging per incriments? I'm looking at aquiring a large connection but it's kind of a gray area because they either tend to gouge you or they don't give you an accurate figure and it's really hard to estimate because it seems that your cost is greatly affected by your telco or the distance you are from the backbone.
It's not a secret, it's all over their website: http://www.optimumlightpath.com/Interior213.html

But those prices depends on a lot of things... which is why I was asking.

Ockie said:
But those prices depends on a lot of things... which is why I was asking.
What makes you say that? I pay exactly what's quoted there plus a few fees here and there for stuff like DIDs and such.

OMG, I covet your setup. Heh.

I need to move out of florida so I can have a basement to put my network toys.

I realize I'm a bit late to the party- but I have a question about the CallManager/Unity boxes you're running. I see they're on Dell servers- did Cisco recently change their stance on unsupported platforms? I didn't think you could install CCM or Unity on a Dell server in particular. I realize you could buy 3rd party boxes, but I always thought you just bought the Compaq/HP/IBM that Cisco had OEM'd for their MCS line.

Edit: I realize there is a registry hack available to allow you to install CallManager etc. on anything you want, but I thought TAC would tell you to screw if you went to them with a problem and they found out.

what desk is that?

that is an absolutely amazing setup man! I hope to have on like that someday

dr_debauch said:
I realize I'm a bit late to the party- but I have a question about the CallManager/Unity boxes you're running. I see they're on Dell servers- did Cisco recently change their stance on unsupported platforms? I didn't think you could install CCM or Unity on a Dell server in particular. I realize you could buy 3rd party boxes, but I always thought you just bought the Compaq/HP/IBM that Cisco had OEM'd for their MCS line.

Edit: I realize there is a registry hack available to allow you to install CallManager etc. on anything you want, but I thought TAC would tell you to screw if you went to them with a problem and they found out.

I'd also like to hear about this. We run CCM on Cisco prived boxes and honestly, they BLOW. If there's a way around it, without ruining our TAC support, I'd be all over it.

Does your wife know all of that is in the basement? :p
"Honey, come look what I built...."

Man, this makes me wish I took pics of my old server room. I had one of those $70 wireframe Costco deals, it went something like this:

Quadra 600 running OpenBSD (firewall)
Mac IIcx (nameserver)
SPARCstation-20 (mail, coda)
SPARCstation IPX (nameserver, krb5, nis) [yeah i was doing nis+krb5 :D]
dual P2 running FreeBSD (web, shell)
DECstation (of the pmax variety, can't remember which model tho)
hp 425t (apollo WHAT)
SPARCstation-2 (backup mx, personal shell machine)
few other x86 machines here and there

lol

@ jeffmoss26 The phone system runs on several components. The primary controller, kind of like a PBX, is the top most Dell 2650 server, the CallManager. This server is responsible for all of the call setup functions and such. The server below it, is the Unity Voice Mail Server, but it does not store messages on the server, it stores the on the Exchange Server (HP ML350). The 3662 Router is the voice gateway that has POTS and a PRI connection on it. BTW, is this you? http://www.dslreports.com/profile?find=jeffmoss... because if it is, this is me: http://www.dslreports.com/profile?find=oxygen

You better hide those pictures from Cisco, I don't think they would want you showing off Callmanager running on unapproved/unsupported hardware...

Edit: I see someone already touched on this subject...

Arch said:
More power to you for charging them $67k for that stuff. 67 phones is easily supported with CallManager Express running on a Cisco 2811. That sort of set up should be well under $35k for 67 7940s and a couple 7960s. Most places could probably even get by with a majority of 7912s. Then again, I'm guess I'm spoiled in that I have at least a dozen Cisco IP phones on my desk at work. A mixture of 7912s, 40s, 60s, 61s, 70s. To me, these things don't cost anything.

I'm curious to know why you need to run CCM and Unity at home? Then again, why you need a PRI is also curious :) If you're going to run all that voip stuff you should at least run it through something better than a VG200.

Lastly, I find it very humerous that you have TAC's phone number posted on your racks. Please don't tell me you have a Smartnet contract for your house?

Actually, Cisco only supports 36 IP Phones on the 2811 platform. In order to officially support 67 phones you would need to step up to a 2851 (96 IP Phones)...

DUDE, YOU'RE LIVING MY DREAM!

Nice setup, I especial like those dell servers, I always like the look of the dell line.

And do you manage this yourself looks like alot of work for you when you moved to get all those back up and working fast

That's awesome.

One day I aspire to have something like that - good to see that someone has actually done it.

I'm surprised they don't deliver capacity with gigabit which seems to be the norm here in Australia now. I can't say I've ever seen any Marconi gear elsewhere before - I've worked on ASX-200s, 1000s and 4000s and some old ESX's that we just scrapped (such a shame). I've been meaning to get ATM running here at home except my cat5k is faulty which is the only ATM <-> Ethernet box I have (unless I can get over the high price of a PA-FE-TX here in oz for my 7206...)

really cool setup. throw a house warming party for us interested geeks. i'll bring the pizza! (fellow long islander)

dualblade said:
really cool setup. throw a house warming party for us interested geeks. i'll bring the pizza! (fellow long islander)
I can just imagine someone spilling coke on one of the racks.......... :D

Back