My Ati X1900xt and nVidia geforce 7800 GTX 512 benchmarks (and useability thoughts)

Ulrick28

Limp Gawd
Note: The nVidia card does not recognize 1280 x 1024 as a valid resolution for my Dell 30" monitor. The tests are run at 1280 x 800 because of this.

3dmark refuses to allow me to publish my benchmark because it doesn't recognize the x1900 xt as a valid video card (it shows up as generic VGA in the project viewer). Possibly because the ATI card isn't officially released until Tuesday.

My scores for 3dmark 2006 are as follows"

GeForce 7800 GTX 512 - 6042
Ati X1900 xt - 5986

As for Pro's and Cons (for me personally) of the ATI Card:

Pros:
1) Dual DVI Link for both DVI ports. The 7800 GTX 512 only has it on one port.

2) 2560 x 1600 support is MUCH better on the ATI X1900. The 7800 GTX 512 is finicky trying to find the right driver to get to work at that resolution.

3) At 2560 x 1600 the ATI card display is rock solid. For the nVidia display I would occasionally get a random garbage screen ever 10 minutes or so for a split second.

4) The ATI card supports ALL resolutions on my 30" lcd. The nVidia card only supports 4 resolutions.

5) In Shader heavy games (like EQ2) the ATI card is noticably faster than the nVidia card.(EQ2 is still a CPU bound game however especially with shadows).

6) Much cheaper than the nVidia 7800 GTX 512

Cons:
1) Noticeably louder than the nVidia 7800 GTX 512 (the fan can have a high pitch whine to it at times).

2) The Geforce 7800 GTX 512 has an advantage in non shader heavy games

Pics of cards: (added pic of 3dmark results)

http://home.comcast.net/~ulrick28/index.html

Great first impressions, thanks for that.

You said it's noticeably faster in shader heavy games. How about some high res + AA scores for FEAR (especially hoping for 1920x1200 4xAA)?

Thanks,
Adrian

It would be awsome if you could run some Fear timedemos and Lost Coast time demos. ;)

Sounds like the X1900XT is a decent card. Any attempts on overclocking?

Thanks again for posting your results. :D

asmielia said:
Great first impressions, thanks for that.

You said it's noticeably faster in shader heavy games. How about some high res + AA scores for FEAR (especially hoping for 1920x1200 4xAA)?

Thanks,
Adrian

I second that motion. I just sold my volt-modded 7800GTs so I could pick up one of these badboys and I'm wondering how it stacks up, especially in FEAR at the resolution requested.

Also, which specific games were you referring to when you said "2) The Geforce 7800 GTX 512 has an advantage in non shader heavy games." Thanks

Then with these test here would the X1900XTX version put it over the top of the 7800 GTX in more tests?

Is it me? Or is the X1900XT what the X1800XT is suppose to be?
I mean ATi finally has the edge over Nvidia...But thats still last gen =P

So Nvidia's next card is going to be even better...and destorys ATi once again.
But of course we still have to see the XTX and the prices.

Nice pictures btw.

V99 said:
Is it me? Or is the X1900XT what the X1800XT is suppose to be?
I mean ATi finally has the edge over Nvidia...But thats still last gen =P

Uh, x1800xt was made to compete against the 7800gtx, which it does admirably. 7800gtx 512 was the refresh product to one up x1800xt.

And with the free bios upgrade the x1800xt competes quite nicely against the 7800gtx 512...

I wonder why these so called hardlaunches are really necessary. To be honest, i would have liked to see some "real" reviews a couple of weeks ago.

Good information.

Have you tried overlocking the GPU and memory yet?

I got the memory up to 800 from the default of 720. I pushed the GPU from 620 to 660. I could go higher but then the fan starts kicking in during games. About 670 or so seems to be the limit. I start getting lighting artifacts at that point. I think the memory can go higher but I need a 3rd party tool for that.

I'll install fear and run some tests at 1920 x 1200.

It looks like the two cards are neck and neck in 3dmark (for however much that counts). If you look at it the 7800GTX 512 is about 60 points ahead overall...but the CPU score for some reason is 64 points lower for the X1900. If you take the CPU score out of the equation the cards are within 10 points of each other.

Dang 670 is the limit? Do these cards have the software controllable voltage options?

We have the same computerdesk!

Also Nice work . I was wanting some info on how these would stack up.

Ulrick28 said:
I got the memory up to 800 from the default of 720. I pushed the GPU from 620 to 660. I could go higher but then the fan starts kicking in during games. About 670 or so seems to be the limit. I start getting lighting artifacts at that point. I think the memory can go higher but I need a 3rd party tool for that.

:( Doesn't sound like this card likes to OC at all. Don't 90% of X1800XT go to 700mhz core?

Stereophile said:
:( Doesn't sound like this card likes to OC at all. Don't 90% of X1800XT go to 700mhz core?

All indications I've seen so far are contrary to this. Check linky in my previous post. Don't forget that with the overclocking utility you can bump Vmem and Vcore, so I dont think you are near max yet.

I just want to say that arent the 6.2 Drivers supposed to have Offical support for the X1900? Couldnt Driver Issues be a cause for concern with Bench Marks at the moment. Even new optimizations could happen. I dont think Benchmarks so early are very indicative of the true power of a card. I realize that regardless they are needed but what I am saying is that while you should read and look and benches you have to think about how much power the card is wasting due to bad software. When the X1800 came out I knew the benches were going to suck for it at first because all reports were of a weird new core. The X1900 is a bump up for that core (Putting it bluntly) and this its performance is being affected. The X1800 only had a small amount of driver updates and is still getting them now so lets hold on before we say that its a flop. I do think it will struggle with the 7900 if its half the card we have heard of. Allthough I also worry for Nvidias ability to produce it.

ManicOne said:
All indications I've seen so far are contrary to this. Check linky in my previous post. Don't forget that with the overclocking utility you can bump Vmem and Vcore, so I dont think you are near max yet.

660 max OC on the core is not impressive at all.
I assumed he has bumped voltage to get to there. But maybe not.
Does overclock.exe and ATi Tool not support this card yet ?

Also the thread you linked to just had FEAR benchmarks. Did they get it OCd
very high in that benchmark ? I didn't read through the whole thread.

Ulrick, if you possibly could homey, would you mind taking any screenshots at whatever games you have at 2560X1600 (if they support it of course) with graphic settings at their maximum. i'm not asking for any numbers or benchmarks but i would dig it to see (and alot others for that matter) what the pics would look like at those rez's. like i said you don't have to run around for 10 minutes with a hard on the size of the statue of liberty cuz of the sexy graphics, just take a few pics of some games for us :)......

Ulrick28:
What cats came on the disc? Also, what version did you use? Read somewhere about older cats not enabling xtra shader pipes...

Ulrick, one request, can you try adaptive aa when you get around to testing fear? i'm very anxious to see if the new hardware can really bump up the AA quality or not

Back