My Athlon 860K Review:

Hi, I purchased an Athlon X4 860K for $76 on ebay new. Why? Because I was curious about overclocked steamroller core performance. Anyways, I added some 1866 ram and adjusted blck and multi and sure enough its a great cpu at 4.64ghz. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied, lets get started!

lol3.png

winrar.png

superpi.png

benchmarks.png

Rock on AMD!

B0_Uc_Y7k_IAAADs1e_jpg_large.jpg

Last edited:
^ That's also a $200 cpu, I think a similary priced intel haswell is a better comparison

^ That's also a $200 cpu, I think a similary priced intel haswell is a better comparison

No they aren't not $200 chips anymore...the point is a 5 year old Intel cpu is still better than a heavily OC'd new flagship AMD cpu. Don't get me wrong they are nice little chips but in order to get to "nice" you have to OC the crap out of them.

No, actually the point is at $70, you get twice the threads and superior multithreaded perf compared to intel's newest similarly priced haswell cpu. Also, the 860k is hardly AMD's flagship cpu, it's actually their low end.

you get twice the threads and superior multithreaded perf compared to intel's newest similarly priced haswell cpu

Do you really get superior multithreaded perf?

Edit: Although I guess similarly priced haswell eliminates the haswell i3

Last edited:
No, actually the point is at $70, you get twice the threads and superior multithreaded perf compared to intel's newest similarly priced haswell cpu. Also, the 860k is hardly AMD's flagship cpu, it's actually their low end.

No this APU is their latest flagship cpu...it's the newest until the next design comes out for AMD in 2016. Please tell me which design is newer than Steamroller? There is no low end APU with an unlocked multiplier as they all can OC about the same. An OC'd 7850K won't get you any better. And please don't bring up 3 year old architecture where they keep re-releasing the FX series. It's a nice little APU but only when OC'd to the hilt, but I'd take an unlocked Intel Pentium Anniversary over this any day because if I was doing anything that actually needed 4 or more cores I wouldn't buy an APU.

No this APU is their latest flagship cpu...it's the newest until the next design comes out for AMD in 2016. Please tell me which design is newer than Steamroller? There is no low end APU with an unlocked multiplier as they all can OC about the same. An OC'd 7850K won't get you any better. And please don't bring up 3 year old architecture where they keep re-releasing the FX series. It's a nice little APU but only when OC'd to the hilt, but I'd take an unlocked Intel Pentium Anniversary over this any day because if I was doing anything that actually needed 4 or more cores I wouldn't buy an APU.

Carizzo, Kabini? So a Kabini 5130 is AMD's flagship? Also, the next architecture is Carrizo due out next year not 2016.

Carizzo, Kabini? So a Kabini 5130 is AMD's flagship? Also, the next architecture is Carrizo due out next year not 2016.

Kabini isn't their latgest flagship desktop processor. It's low watt and underpowered powered. Nice try through.

So then why is the 860k the flagship and not the FX 9590, since your reasoning was that the newest architecture must be the flagship? Fail. AMD's flagship is clearly the FX 9590

The 860k nor the 7850k are AMD's "flagship CPU's". That's just an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

flag·ship
noun \ˈflag-ˌship\

: the ship that carries the commander of a group of ships

: the best, largest, or most important one of a group of things (such as products, stores, etc.)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flagship

No this APU is their latest flagship cpu...it's the newest until the next design comes out for AMD in 2016. Please tell me which design is newer than Steamroller?

Wrong, stop using the incorrect definition of flagship just to shit talk a product. It's not the newest because Carrizo is coming to mobile soon and desktop early next year, not 2016.

The 860k nor the 7850k are AMD's "flagship CPU's". That's just an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flagship

Wrong, stop using the incorrect definition of flagship just to shit talk a product. It's not the newest because Carrizo is coming to mobile soon and desktop early next year, not 2016.

It's there latest flagship (fastest) desktop cpu core...end of story. When Carrizo is released it won't be using the new technology as its an update to Steamroller. Then your right, that will be their latest flagship cpu. I was talking the new cores not based on the Bullldozer modular design failure that are supposed to actually compete with higher end Intel cpu's. Like I said nice little cpu but can't wait for the new architecture.

This may be the latest architecture, but it isn't the flagship. You may just want to reword it is all.

I love how you blissfully ignore the actual definition of the term and then continue to use it incorrectly just to support your viewpoint. It doesn't matter if it's their latest desktop core, that doesn't mean it's the flagship part. These APU's are not and never were meant to be in the same product or performance category as the FX chips.

When Carrizo is released it won't be using the new technology as its an update to Steamroller.

What "new technology"? It has all sorts of new IP in it, it's a new product. Just because Carrizo will release and be their latest product doesn't mean it will be their "flagship" product. Maybe it'll be the flagship APU, but not the best-performing product in their lineup overall. When the unlocked Pentium came out, did that mean it was the flagship processor for Intel? No? Then you see how stupid that logic and line of thinking sounds now?

When the unlocked Pentium came out, did that mean it was the flagship processor for Intel? No? Then you see how stupid that logic and line of thinking sounds now?

It was flagship compared to the AMD flagship 7850K when overclocked. But of course in your stupidity you didn't realize the pentium wasn't a new anything, just an unlocked anniversary one, so worthless point there. Tested better unless you want to compare multi thread/core useless benchmark threads. The 7850K/860K is the latest and greatest flagship from AMD.

Lol now you're just trolling, or you're a moron. You don't know what "flagship" even means yet you keep throwing it around every other word in a sentence.

But of course in your stupidity you didn't realize the pentium wasn't a new anything, just an unlocked anniversary one, so worthless point there.

You call me stupid, yet what you said here made literally no sense whatsoever. If it wasn't a "new anything", please point me to the last unlocked Pentium they made. I'll be waiting.

Tested better unless you want to compare multi thread/core useless benchmark threads.

Yeah, they're useless just because they portray it in a better light in some cases (which they should, seeing as one chip has two more threads than the other does.) Anyone with half a brain would expect the Pentium to beat anything AMD currently has in ST seeing as it was just based on the same ol' Haswell that's in all their other current desktop chips.

The 7850K/860K is the latest and greatest flagship from AMD.

No it's not. You're acting like a child here. This is just embarrassing. I haven't seen anyone put in this much effort to try to pretend they weren't wrong in a long time.

hey, I think we all agree intel has superior IPC. I understand what you are saying, that kaveri doesn't match the IPC of even older intel archs. But my point is at $70, AMD has a compelling product especially when compared to the $70 g3258.

edit: Quokka is like wtf
quokka_8.jpg

Last edited:
Lol now you're just trolling, or you're a moron. You don't know what "flagship" even means yet you keep throwing it around every other word in a sentence.

You call me stupid, yet what you said here made literally no sense whatsoever. If it wasn't a "new anything", please point me to the last unlocked Pentium they made. I'll be waiting.

Yeah, they're useless just because they portray it in a better light in some cases (which they should, seeing as one chip has two more threads than the other does.) Anyone with half a brain would expect the Pentium to beat anything AMD currently has in ST seeing as it was just based on the same ol' Haswell that's in all their other current desktop chips.

No it's not. You're acting like a child here. This is just embarrassing. I haven't seen anyone put in this much effort to try to pretend they weren't wrong in a long time.

LOL...u that mad about their latest flagship cpu then talk to AMD? Keep saying I'm wrong doesn't make it so? That's the latest and greatest from AMD. Or we could keep bringing up the latest FX rehash...not flagship and older but powerful enough cpu's.

hey, I think we all agree intel has superior IPC. I understand what you are saying, that kaveri doesn't match the IPC of even older intel archs. But my point is at $70, AMD has a compelling product especially when compared to the $70 g3258.

Yes they are after you factor in the OC...I like the fact that AMD gives you so many choices for unlocked cpu's.

Thank you fixedmy7970, I do appreciate the time you put into it. Also, thank you for reminding my why pcjunkie is on my ignore list. :D What board are you using to get that 8370 up to 5.1 GHz? The best I can get on the FX 8350 with my Extreme 9 is 4.6 GHz unless I went to custom water.

hi lol, I actually didn't spend that much time on it. And I didn't hit 5.10 lol, my sig is kind of a joke. except for the windows 10 part. I am using an excellent asus A88X Pro Bolton d4 board. I was able to get to 4.8ghz at 1.5ish. But I don't want to go higher than 1.5. I may update this with more comprehensive tests and maybe at a higher clock.

In was always a bit curious how the 860K fared. Thanks for sharing your results and thoughts!

LOL...u that mad about their latest flagship cpu then talk to AMD? Keep saying I'm wrong doesn't make it so? That's the latest and greatest from AMD. Or we could keep bringing up the latest FX rehash...not flagship and older but powerful enough cpu's.

I'm not mad about anything. I don't care about how AMD's current CPU's perform since I'm not interested in them. I was merely pointing out the nonsense that you posted. You vehemently maintaining that just because it's their latest CPU uArch revision that it's their flagship product is a blunder on your end, not mine.

LOL...u that mad about their latest flagship cpu etc etc

I understand that English may not be your native tongue, but that doesn't mean you get to refit random words with the definition of your choosing while still maintaining an intelligible and relevant point.

AMD has a compelling product especially when compared to the $70 g3258.

You are absolutely correct. The only difference here, which is kind of a big one, the G3258 gets you on the 1150 socket where the 860k has you stuck on the FM2+. If it was on the AM3+ I'd be more willing to jump on it to give me a better CPU-upgrade option in the future.

At least that's the only reason why I went with the G3258 and the MSI PC Mate deal from Microcenter.

Thank you fixedmy7970, I do appreciate the time you put into it. Also, thank you for reminding my why pcjunkie is on my ignore list. :D What board are you using to get that 8370 up to 5.1 GHz? The best I can get on the FX 8350 with my Extreme 9 is 4.6 GHz unless I went to custom water.

LOL...talk about fan boys and ignore lists. Pot/kettle/black. And WTH are you taking about, He has a 860K apu processor and it doesn't clock that high...what a waste of a post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Touche. I didn't really spend much time tweaking this chip. Also, even though that BE sold for ~$99, its still the same core as the flagship phenoms that sold for much more. And that is like a max overclock.

brb doing some benches at max OC,

looks like a nice up, for less than $100 how can you say no? I plan on buying one.

Kaveri either matches or exceeds Phenom II depending on the program and the instructions it uses, such as AVX, AES, etc. that Phenom II can't use anyway.

LOL...talk about fan boys and ignore lists. Pot/kettle/black. And WTH are you taking about, He has a 860K apu processor and it doesn't clock that high...what a waste of a post. :rolleyes:

Ah nuts, I went and viewed that post, now that was a waste. :D Oh well, continue enjoying your stay on my ignore list and thank for showing my why you were there in the first place.

I am seriously considering building another Kabini build with a Athlon 5350. (Considering a NAS.) Board, case and processor are only $105 on Newegg and I had built the same thing about 2 weeks ago for an HTPC. Now that was fun and relaxing. :D

Hey, are the AM1 APUs good enough for 1440p or 4k non gaming media? I'm looking to build an updated media centre and I was wondering if I should go FM2+ or AM1...

Hey, are the AM1 APUs good enough for 1440p or 4k non gaming media? I'm looking to build an updated media centre and I was wondering if I should go FM2+ or AM1...

Between the two I'd pick FM2+, I don't have hard data on AM1 for 4k but it does do well with 1080p content but you aren't left with any good upgrade options should you need it.

But what content are you trying to use that is 4k?

If you want barely to not really good enough AM1 will do. If you want just good enough FM2+ plus a low end apu. That's what everyone should stride for is "just good enough". Or you could get their latest flagship cpu the 7850K APU for future proof-ness. ;)

Last edited:
If you want barely to not really good enough AM1 will do. If you want just good enough FM2+ plus a low end apu. That's what everyone should stride for is "just good enough". Or you could get their latest flagship cpu the 7850K APU for future proof-ness. ;)

You have no clue what you're talking about.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Thanks for explaining that in detail but try and actually think about what I said...take a moment and let it sink in?

Ok, now don't you feel stupid...

Thanks for explaining that in detail but try and actually think about what I said...take a moment and let it sink in?

It sank in for everyone long ago in the thread. You're a troll who has no idea what he's talking about and is desperate for attention, continually spouting nonsense rather than manning up and admitting you were wrong. Incredibly childish behavior which is just embarrassing, in all honesty.

Back