My ass is killing me

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
I have this cheap old Office Depot special and need something new, stat !

I'm about 5'10" 210 lbs. The current width of the chair I'm in is 19" and fits pretty good, just everything else
about it sucks.

I've looked at the DXRacer Racing series, but the width probably is not wide enough and I have nowhere to go
and test one locally. I could go King series, but the price gets pretty steep there.

I'd like mesh since I do get warm easily and game semi-nude sometimes :)) . Although, if a chair is good enough I
could convince myself to get dressed for gaming.

I'd like to stay in the sub 300.00 range, but will spend more if need be. I don't need some expensive brand name
stuff, just something that won't fall apart on me and performs.

Thanks

This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/HON-VL705-Ex...236859&sr=8-1&keywords=hon+chair+big+and+tall

Wide because it's a heavy-duty chair, and it is rock solid. I've had it for a year or so now and it still feels as solid as the day I put it together. Usually the gas lift gives out after awhile but so far so good on this one. *knock on wood*

About at the limit of your budget but if you want something decent, probably expect to pay at least that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any recommendations for a mesh chair with a high back that's under $200?

if you've got a sensitive bum, i do too, avoid the dxracer chairs. i've been to the dxracer showroom in anaheim and the foam they use in all of them is quite hard. you'd be better off with mesh or memory foam.

i went with a tempurpedic memory foam chair instead. you can get them at staples.

My ass is killing me

tumblr_mn2ihif4dp1srb4uqo1_400.gif

Article with reviews.
Best PC gaming chairs | PC Gamer

End of the article has several good links to more information on good chairs.

Unfortunately only one of those chairs actually fits the OP's budget criteria.

Any recommendations for a mesh chair with a high back that's under $200?

If not the one I posted, Hon also makes several other chairs that may fit your needs, assuming all of their chairs are of similar quality.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hon+chairs

Check a local office furniture warehouse. You may find a great chair there at a fraction of the cost elsewhere. I paid $150 for a chair that lists at over $500 and it's done wonders for my back.

I've owned both an Aeron and an Embody and this trumps both of them in my opinion:

Staples Hyken Technical Mesh Task Chair, Black | Staples®

I'm sure the build quality is worse, but even if I have to buy one every 2-3 years, it's still cheaper than an Embody and comparable to an Aeron while being (debatably) more comfortable. It's frequently on sale for $100-120.

Last edited:
I'm using an Aeron size B (mid size) chair right now. Love it.

Granted, out of the price range here.

I have this cheap old Office Depot special and need something new, stat !

I'm about 5'10" 210 lbs. The current width of the chair I'm in is 19" and fits pretty good, just everything else
about it sucks.

I've looked at the DXRacer Racing series, but the width probably is not wide enough and I have nowhere to go
and test one locally. I could go King series, but the price gets pretty steep there.
DXRacer Wide series. I'm 5'10" 200 lbs and the seat is wide enough with extra room to move around unless you have a fat ass. The seat cushion does use harder but comfortable padding. It won't wear out as quick as most cheap office chairs do. I never get hot or sweaty in this chair. $369 from Amazon but they often run out of stock.

Thanks for suggestions...give me something to look at now and really confuse myself....

Please let us know what you end up getting and how you like it. It really helps me and others when we're searching for that awesome deal on good products.

I tried out the 300+ chairs at PAX I'm assuming thats the goofy DXracers. Was not impressed at all. More of an aesthetic thing. In all seriousness I have a friend that haunts Office auctions and he has quite of a few of those 1000$+ executive chairs and swears by them. Since its those dump everything auctions he got his dirt cheap like 50-100$. Though I know it sounds like work thats my advice if you want a top of the line chair cheaply.

I've owned both an Aeron and an Embody and this trumps both of them in my opinion:
I bought these at work for my group and everybody likes them. Visitors come by like "Hey about that prototype we ran last Tuesday"— and then they sit down in one of the chairs—"ohhh this is a nice chair." And usually they make ever-so-clever and original jokes about the third-shift guy napping in his comfortable chair. Just be sure to sit down gently, as if you drop your ass in like a meteor crashing, the mesh in the seat starts to pull out of the frame.

I'm sure the build quality is worse, but even if I have to buy one every 2-3 years, it's still cheaper than an Embody and comparable to an Aeron while being (debatably) more comfortable. It's frequently on sale for $100-120.

Another Hyken chair owner here. It's my favorite chair out of all of the chairs that I have owned. Comfortable, even when sitting for long gaming sessions. Plenty of adjustments and the headrest is a huge plus.

On the cheap exec pleather and cloth chairs that I owned over the years, the padding in the seat would go flat and it caused pain when sitting for long periods of time.

The Hyken has great support in the seat and I believe it's rated for 8 hours, a work chair basically. I've never had any further seat soreness since moving to this mesh chair.

Being in the gaming forum, I thought you had early access to the Fractured, but whole.

Why use an actual gaming chair? I use a recliner and a one of those adjustable keyboard trays and just use the arm rest for my mouse pad and mouse.

Why use an actual gaming chair? I use a recliner and a one of those adjustable keyboard trays and just use the arm rest for my mouse pad and mouse.

For me personally, it would be because I like to sit up more. Sitting back/reclining makes me feel "away from the action", so to speak.

How was this not linked yet ... (whoops this is general gaming not general mayhem, oh well)

Last edited:
I can't sit for more than 15-20 minutes without some pain. I've gotten used to it because it's been going on for years. I've gone through multiple chairs in all different price ranges. Tried different pads and supports on the chairs and nothing helps. Don't mind spending on a chair but when you can't try most of them out it's tough to settle on one.

Not sure if it would still be as good but a few jobs ago we had these chairs made by global:
Granada® Deluxe | Global Furniture Group

They were around $400-$600 if I recall but I sat in the same one for about 8 years and it never had any issues.

I tried a couple DxRacer chairs, but being touted as a full suspension chair I was disappointed that the base seat straps sat on the base plate, so really had no 'suspension' at all. Also the arms bowed out if you push on them when standing up (yah maybe I'm getting old, lol) and even after a month were ~3/4" wider then when I got them. I am 6'1 190. The company was helpful in their responses, but all their chairs were like that. I returned it and got a Nightingale CXO chair. The CXO is great though the foam is a bit warm in the real hot weather for my liking but its so comfy
smile.png

Back