My appreciation to OSx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Orange 615

[H]ard|Gawd
I just wanted to say that I've been a diehard windows users, like many, but made the conversion to a macbook pro. OS x has been flawless so far, and amazing. Spotlight, to me is one of the most intuitive and effective features in an operating system. PERIOD. I really bring this thread up because I spent the last 4 hours fumbling with Vista at my friends house. He recently got a HP pavilion notebook against my advice to get a mb, and it was an awful experience. It took 2 hours to get the wireless working because I needed to get around a bunch of things stopping me, 4 crashes off the bat, programs no responding, upwards of 5 minutes to reboot.

Thank you apple. I feel released from the bullshit. I know i might be starting a mac vs pc thread but this is just too hot in my head to let go.

He recently got a HP pavilion notebook against my advice to get a mb, and it was an awful experience.

Yeah, I know how that is. I wish people didn't look at me like I was a retard when I tell them their next computer should be a Mac.

Click on wireless icon, select network, it connects. The same on both operating systems.

Was the HP a vista upgrade?

Spotlight, to me is one of the most intuitive and effective features in an operating system.
If you love spotlight, try Quicksilver (and learn to use it). It makes me love OS X so much more.

He recently got a HP pavilion notebook against my advice to get a mb, and it was an awful experience
When my friends do this, I stop helping them with their Windows problems. I'm not being a dick, but I have no obligation to help them, especially when it's a problem that does not exist on OS X.

honestly, i hate to raise a debate, but after using os x, i feel like vista is a total insult to me. First off, the HP had some nerve to pack the software that they do with it. When i started it up they were making me pick a internet provider to use, and the software basically wouldnt let me just make it connect to a wireless network. I had to enable the wireless card, calibrate it to his router, get the router info etc, then erase all the other nonsense in there. I couldnt believe it.

VONAGE was preinstalled and on this and all over his desktop, and windows was like forcing me to sign up. I went to the control panel and switched to classic and theres like 30 icons also. There was also an analog clock on the desktop. Now im sure that you can turn this off. But honestly why the analog clock? If you're going to rip off dashboard dont half ass it. But yea. I go no real beef with xp, to me its like a beater car that gets the job done and I still like it. OSx is a BMW. And vista is... I just dont, the worst os yet?

sounds like up is your problem, not vista.
Also, it sounds like some of you reviewed vista by looking at some desktop screenshots. FAIL

sounds like up is your problem, not vista.
Also, it sounds like some of you reviewed vista by looking at some desktop screenshots. FAIL

well im just bringing up some issues with hp as well. Desktop? this is regular operation.. It shouldnt of been a pain to do what I did on OS x OR xp. Vista is striking me as catering to nobody. If you're savvy it annoys the shit out of you, if you don't know a thing you're slammed with clutter/ Fail? welcome to internet jokes 5 years ago. If you read the post, I was just going over initial impressions of trying to do something that took 3 minutes to somebody who had never used OS x in their life. Its a fact, and its obvious. I'm down to argue about it, but so far (in my opinion and the overwhelming opinion of other Vista users on the net) it seems like a complete downgrade from an a great operating system (XP).

honestly, i hate to raise a debate, but after using os x, i feel like vista is a total insult to me. First off, the HP had some nerve to pack the software that they do with it. When i started it up they were making me pick a internet provider to use, and the software basically wouldnt let me just make it connect to a wireless network. I had to enable the wireless card, calibrate it to his router, get the router info etc, then erase all the other nonsense in there. I couldnt believe it.

VONAGE was preinstalled and on this and all over his desktop, and windows was like forcing me to sign up. I went to the control panel and switched to classic and theres like 30 icons also. There was also an analog clock on the desktop. Now im sure that you can turn this off. But honestly why the analog clock? If you're going to rip off dashboard dont half ass it. But yea. I go no real beef with xp, to me its like a beater car that gets the job done and I still like it. OSx is a BMW. And vista is... I just dont, the worst os yet?

so it sounds like you're blaming MS for HP installing all that shit on Vista. smart

and ripping off dashboard? lol, IIRC apple ripped the widget idea off someone else. yikes....

so it sounds like you're blaming MS for HP installing all that shit on Vista. smart

and ripping off dashboard? lol, IIRC apple ripped the widget idea off someone else. yikes....

well im sayin, the way things are that shit wouldnt fly on anything you bought from apple. But you're not really arguing any of my other points because you cant. And ripping something off is fine and the american way, but dont fail miserably at it.

and im not blaming ms, how do you come to that conclusion? Im just explaining a situation. its amazing how the MS fanboys come out of the woodwork the second something negative is uttered about whats clearly a flawed operating system. Xp osx > vista. fact. MS is moving backwards, apple is thinking progressive. The stock market shows it, and so does the software.

and god is punshing me for buying an apple, because my xbox has been in the mail for 9 weeks now with the red lights from hell :mad: I miss it dearly

msconfig, it's there for a reason, just like login items exists for a reason under OSX. I grant you that unchecking everything in msconfig would've solved the problem in 2 mins with a reboot. As for calibrating the wireless card to the router, depends on his router. Was he using WPA, WEP or MAC Address filtering? You would have to do the same steps on a mac as well....so no time saved there. OSX doesn't just magically connect to your network either.

Not Microsoft's fault for HP doing crappy installs of bloatware on their machines. It's not Vista's problem, it's HP's. Just like we don't blame laptop batteries blowing up on Apple's or Dell's (We blame sony), you can't blame Microsoft for an OEM bundling a bunch of crapware with their system.

I think if it took you two hours to get him connected to a wireless network, I think you might've been doing something wrong or just exaggerating.

Vista isn't that crappy or hellish as you make it out to be, if my g/f can connect to a wireless network in vista, then pretty much anyone can.

Both Windows and OSX have their distinct advantages (Windows is compatible with many sets of hardware, OSX has rock solid stability), but bashing Vista with sensationalism does nothing to enhance your credibility.

I've been running Vista for 6+ months all the way back to RC2. No issues here.........not every piece of hardware is compatible, but that's more of the vendor's problem than it is Microsoft's problem.

well im sayin, the way things are that shit wouldnt fly on anything you bought from apple. But you're not really arguing any of my other points because you cant. And ripping something off is fine and the american way, but dont fail miserably at it.

and im not blaming ms, how do you come to that conclusion? Im just explaining a situation. its amazing how the MS fanboys come out of the woodwork the second something negative is uttered about whats clearly a flawed operating system. Xp osx > vista. fact. MS is moving backwards, apple is thinking progressive. The stock market shows it, and so does the software.

righhhht.

i came that because you seem to have more of a gripe with the preinstalled software because it kept asking you to do shit. a clearly flawed OS? ROFL....right. its not anymore flawed than XP was, as it was partly built off of how XP turned out after SP2. remember how shitty XP was until the last SP? yeeeah good game.

goddamn i must be such an ms fanboy with all this open source software on my comp and dual booting ubuntu. yikes. :rolleyes:

It's been said every windows revision that MS is moving backwards. Did you know when Windows XP was released, people claimed 98 a better OS?

Apple is thinking about profit just as MS is. Don't confuse some company advertising to you as a progressive goal. In reality, both Apple and Microsoft are companies and their goal is to make money.

I guess Apple must be moving in the same direction as MS then because they seem to be copying some features from Windows Vista as well. Didn't you see the last keynote? :p Spaces? Christ, that's been in linux forever.

Cupertino, Start your photocopiers!

I think you've been blinded by the kool-aid good sir. Apple produces good products, but they aren't as innovative as you make them out to be. Apple is good at taking ideas and making it into a functional form, but they do the same things as Microsoft. They capitalize on ideas created by others. Again, don't let the RDF confuse you.

No one here is going to say Vista is the greatest OS ever, but it isn't HORRIBLE. In a year's time, it'll be better as with all operating systems.

I remember when they released OSX 10.0. Now THAT was a horrible MESS.

Looks like another PC vs Mac thread to me...
and we know how this goes :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back