My APC battery backup need a new battery

Lazarey

Gawd
My APC battery backup keeps telling me that it needs a new battery because the current one keeps failing it's self-tests. APC wants $80 for a new battery. My current UPS is an APC Back-UPS NS 1250. When I look at the "Current Status" on the computer it says it's providing 192 watts of power. It can go up to 780. So I'm thinking it's a bit overkill for my setup.
Do you think I should replace the battery or get a new, less powerful UPS?

Thanks for your time :)

look into a third party replacement battery. call batteries plus.

The price of lead has gone up quite a bit, so you'll pay a lot more than you did last year regardless of where you buy.

Batteries Plus is quite a rip off, although I do take spent batteries there to have 'em recycled. So far they haven't objected.

I get my batteries from Gruber Power
http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpower/advertising/Batteries/default.asp
You need two 12v 7.2 or 8Ah batteries, but you'll need to take apart your old pack reuse the connector and any mounting brackets. The new batteries will likely have to be epoxied so they stay together, so add like $4-5 for buying epoxy.

You can order from their site, but I think its cheaper if you buy from them through eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130222674379 (this one is for a pair)

After shipping and buying epoxy locally it'll probably cost you around $45.

I checked batteries plus site. They want $37 each, or $72 for a pair.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree - open the APC case and see what battery(s) are used. You want the generic number for it - something like NP12-6. Then Google that code number for a battery dealer near you. All batteries with the same code number are identical.

If you don't know what code on the battery to use, you can Google "UPS battery" and find a site with a APC model lookup for the battery type.

You should find a battery around half the price of the APC if you're lucky - but don't quote me :)

BTW - that code means something like:

NP - shape or type
12 - 12VDC nominal
6 - 6Ah capacity, nominal.

Big price range between cheap Chinese replacement batteries and top brand like Panasonic or Yuasa. Remind me now, why did you buy a UPS in the first place?.. ;)

.bh.

These guys have you covered.

Big price range between cheap Chinese replacement batteries and top brand like Panasonic or Yuasa. Remind me now, why did you buy a UPS in the first place?.. ;)

.bh.

I'm guessing it was to protect his equipment and to allow him some time to use the computer while the power is out. It will also shutdown your system for you if you're not around and the power goes out.

These guys have you covered.

I'm guessing it was to protect his equipment and to allow him some time to use the computer while the power is out. It will also shutdown your system for you if you're not around and the power goes out.

Then a reliable brand replacement battery will be the way to go and while you are in there, replace the MOVs too as they go bad over time. MOVs are supposed to fail in Open mode, but I've seen them fail in Short mode - NOT GOOD!

.bh.

MOVs are supposed to fail in Open mode, but I've seen them fail in Short mode - NOT GOOD!

I don't know about "supposed to". There's no guarantee that MOVs fail in safe mode. In fact, only a few overvoltage or surge protection devices are failsafe. Bummer...

Big price range between cheap Chinese replacement batteries and top brand like Panasonic or Yuasa.

There's a big price difference between the name brand at some UPS parts places and those at generic battery shops. There's also a reasonable price difference between APC's prices and name brand batteries at other shops. In some cases, APC's list prices are better. It pays to shop around.

Getting a decent brand is a good recommendation.

PS - APC provides battery recycling drop-off locations, so you don't have to throw the thing away. Recycling the lead in the batteries is a good idea.

.bh.

The OEM battery for APC is often made by CSB and if you've ever seen it, it's even marked CSB. Gruber runs a full service UPS repair shop too, so they have batteries constantly moving and it's much cheaper to just have a few more on extra and use use the oldest one first, it's easy to keep the inventory fresh.

At places like batteries plus, SLAs don't move that fast and some are bound to go bad due to sulfation from sitting on the shelf so long w/o being charged.

So, if they have to be topped off, there's labor and if they go but, there's spoilage, both of which raises your price.

Back