My AMD Ryzen 5950x is a beast of a CPU! I cruise with averages around 4700mhz. Extremely happy with going with AMD instead of INTEL for gaming / prod

Code_Man

n00b
This is just a feel good rant, but I wanted to let everyone know the AMD Ryzen 5950x is one hell of a CPU! I was torn between the 5800x3d and the 5950x but I'm glad I chose the latter. I am rocking an air cooled Torrent build with an NH-D15 cooler and my thermals never get past 73C while under extreme load. Under idle its around 36C. It pushes close to max on MHz but cruises around 4700mhz with Volts around 1.3 (+/-)

I would recommend this CPU to anyone on the market to upgrade or build a gaming / productivity rig. AMD really blew my socks off. Cant wait for the Zen4 release/stats.

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the club. It works perfect for me for gaming and even more so for work and multiple VMs.

This is just a feel good rant, but I wanted to let everyone know the AMD Ryzen 5950x is one hell of a CPU! I was torn between the 5800x3d and the 5950x but I'm glad I chose the latter. I am rocking an air cooled Torrent build with an NH-D15 cooler and my thermals never get past 73C while under extreme load. Under idle its around 36C. It pushes close to max on MHz but cruises around 4700mhz with Volts around 1.3 (+/-)

I would recommend this CPU to anyone on the market to upgrade or build a gaming / productivity rig. AMD really blew my socks off. Cant wait for the Zen4 release/stats.

I went the opposite way, pulled my 5950x for a 5800x3d as I just wasn't using the cores very often at all - only when doing photogrammetry which I don't do nearly as often as other less core intensive tasks. Big boost in some of my vr games with the x3d, I had the 5950 pushed as hard as my board would allow with pbo and co, getting 4.5-4.6 all core and 4.8-4.95 sustained in games. No tweaking at all to the x3d and it's ~10% faster and pulling 70-80 watts less power.

I haven't tried using co to get higher sustained boosts yet, but from what I've seen the gains are marginal enough to not really be worth it, unlike the 5950x which gave huge gains in all core boost. Software just hasn't caught up to the CPU yet to where I could use it often enough.

the 5950x is a great workstation chip if your workloads need it. Otherwise 5800x 3D or 5600 for budget gamers. With PBO and +200MHZ I can run my 5600 non x at 4.6ghz all day long

That’s bitching fast…

I also have that missle. Setting the BIOS all to all automatic and enabling DOCP CPU-z reports the CPU briefly hits 5GHz. 5950x does everything well.

I could make the same post...

Aside from gaming I do a lot of gravity modeling, software defined radio, and virtualization.

It is quite simply a Beast.

I love my 5600X and 5900X. Both are great. Not as fast as what's out and what's coming, but still good.

5600X

5600x.png

5900x

5900x.png

i'm about to join the 5950x club, and it's even sweeter since i bought it while it was on sale a few days ago just before the release of Zen4; the 5950x was marked down to the same price that the 5900x used to be...actually ended up paying even less because i got an additional $105 off the mobo/cpu price in a combo! :)

i'll be using mine mainly for Handbrake 1080p & 4K h.265 encoding for Plex/Kodi (i do CPU encoding vs GPU to maximize picture quality & minimize file sizes so I can fit more on my NAS); it's replacing the 7-year-old i7-4790k rig in my sig, so i should see some damn impressive encoding speed increases, especially for media files which will fit completely in RAM.

the new hardware should be here Thursday, so i know exactly what i'll be doing all this weekend...i just recently bought the Star Trek TNG complete 7-season box set on bluray (CPU markdown & combo savings basically covered the price of the box set, the RAM, and 1/3 of the CPU cooler) and have everything ripped and mostly ready to encode, just need to get the episode names sorted out for each file

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
HSF: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
RAM: 64GB Corsair PC3600 (2x 32GB)
SSD: 2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drives

I was able to score a brand new 5950x on OfferUp for $400 a couple of days ago. This lets me max out my system and skip a couple of upcoming generations. After selling the 3900x it replaced, the upgrade cost was small, and the Thermalright Peerless Assassin for $40 from Amazon keeps it plenty cool for my needs.

I was able to score a brand new 5950x on OfferUp for $400 a couple of days ago. This lets me max out my system and skip a couple of upcoming generations. After selling the 3900x it replaced, the upgrade cost was small, and the Thermalright Peerless Assassin for $40 from Amazon keeps it plenty cool for my needs.
Ya my Noctua-NHD15 keeps it chilly under heavy load. Love this CPU!

Back