my 9800pro s-video out won't play divx...

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tried using first the WMP, which didnt work, then the divx player alpha, which failed again. Then tried reformating my videos, but still no good. The videos play very well on my monitor, just appear blank on the tv.

Everything else in the desktop shows very well, its just the area where the movie should be playing that is black...

Any ideas?

well firstly it sounds like you don't have overlay set on. Basically what overlay does is, every time you play a video rather than having a clone of your desktop on the TV, it will make it so that the video is all that is outputted to the TV screen (as if you're watching a movie full screen). To set this, go into the ATI display properties, click overlay, go to clone mode options, make sure that it's in theater mode, and set the theater mode settings to your liking (same as source ratio and 4:3 standard TV most likely). I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it's something you definitely want to do.

Keith, the same way.... Clone display. You can also try changing your video renderer to something that doesn't use overlays.

When I use clone display the actual size of the video output on the TV is way to big, e.g. I have to pan around it.

Antheus said:
well firstly it sounds like you don't have overlay set on. Basically what overlay does is, every time you play a video rather than having a clone of your desktop on the TV, it will make it so that the video is all that is outputted to the TV screen (as if you're watching a movie full screen). To set this, go into the ATI display properties, click overlay, go to clone mode options, make sure that it's in theater mode, and set the theater mode settings to your liking (same as source ratio and 4:3 standard TV most likely). I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it's something you definitely want to do.

when i go to change clonemode options everything is cascaded and it says "these overlay settings are only available in dual controller clone mode and not single display or extended desktop configs." does this mean i gotta have 2 vid cards?

thanks

If I change my res to 800x600 then it meases my icons up heaps, I dont want to sort them out every time I want to watch a movie on my TV. Does it just need to be done once or kept at 800x600?

EDIT: Even at 800x600 the video on the player is black, only on the TV though.

ne0-reloaded said:
when i go to change clonemode options everything is cascaded and it says "these overlay settings are only available in dual controller clone mode and not single display or extended desktop configs." does this mean i gotta have 2 vid cards?

thanks

In the Ati submenus goto Displays and hit the power button for the tv display icon. Click apply.

Now go into overlay, you should be able to enable it now. Make sure extended desktop is not on before doing this.

well keith i dont have an nvidia card so i'm not entirely sure, check to see if you have options regarding the video aspect ratio and the display device aspect ratio.

My video aspect ratio is set to the same as the source video (as oppose to full screen) and my display device aspect ratio is 4:3 (regular TV). It's possible that you have the source video set to full screen (or something similar), which might mean full screen on the monitor (which has a higher resolution) so thus the picture being outputted to the TV might be bigger than the TV resolution, which would cause whatever you're describing. Of course this is all speculation, and being that i havent got an nvidia card i can't go into the driver and fiddle, but see if that helps.

Back