My 9600 Phenom

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't have the black edition, but is there a way to over clock this? Or should I even try? Is there a way to make games read two-four cores instead of the one?

You can overclock that, however overclocking a Phenom is like 50% voodoo. Even once you get the system to pass all stability tests with flying colors, they can randomly bomb out in Windows while running MSPaint :p

No way to make games use more cores, they need to support it.

so basically my games are running at 2.3 ghz? When will games start to support more cores? I feel this phenom was a waste of money.

Assuming you are using a 32 bit Microsoft operating system with non-multi threaded games, then yes, you pretty much are. Theres not much of an advantage, except that your os can be ran on its own core.

so basically my games are running at 2.3 ghz? When will games start to support more cores? I feel this phenom was a waste of money.

A lot of newer game support multiple cores (usually 2 cores) not to mention that even if you are running a single core only game, the other 3 cores on the chip are freed up to run OS functions or other apps in the background. Most upcoming games should be multicore games unless the devs get lazy.

Having a quad core is all about what you can do with it. With my Quad I can play Warcraft at 60+ FPS, while recording video @ 1280x1024 resolution AND encoding a previously recorded video from 1280x down to 720P resolution. With no slowdown. Try that on a dual core and the system could grind.

Ahhh, I see I see. So there is nothing I need to do for that to happen, right? The quad core just kicks in when more shit is running?

Cool, thanks. I just want the games I play to run off more cores. I'll check to see if any of my games I have do that.

You can overclock that, however overclocking a Phenom is like 50% voodoo. Even once you get the system to pass all stability tests with flying colors, they can randomly bomb out in Windows while running MSPaint :p

No way to make games use more cores, they need to support it.

Is that a myth or a fact?

Is that a myth or a fact?

check out some oc feedback on these. they will often pass all stressful testing without a problem, then when it comes to basic windows functions they fail. it very unlike intel chip and previous amd chips overclocking where increasing the load causes failures.

I've seen both AMD and Intel systems bomb out while just idleing and be fine while loaded.

And I've seen it more on Intel stuff.

From what I have observed, it has more to do with the motherboard, RAM, and power supply than the CPU.

It can also seemingly cause by stuff being "out of sync"... messing with the different timings in the BIOS can affect the stability a lot when you are having freaky stuff happen like that. If you go back to the older systems, you can find guides about how to set stuff up to have the best throughput even if the timings aren't "as tight as they can be".

If it is stable under load, it should be stable at idle. If it isn't, there is something else wrong with the system.

The key is to change one setting at a time and then test.

I've seen both AMD and Intel systems bomb out while just idleing and be fine while loaded.

And I've seen it more on Intel stuff.

From what I have observed, it has more to do with the motherboard, RAM, and power supply than the CPU.

It can also seemingly cause by stuff being "out of sync"... messing with the different timings in the BIOS can affect the stability a lot when you are having freaky stuff happen like that. If you go back to the older systems, you can find guides about how to set stuff up to have the best throughput even if the timings aren't "as tight as they can be".

If it is stable under load, it should be stable at idle. If it isn't, there is something else wrong with the system.

The key is to change one setting at a time and then test.

Go read up on people overclocking Phenoms, particularly on other forums since [H] is heavily Intel biased. I was looking into buying a Phenom since I am an AMD fan boy :p I would have typed almost the exact same post as you a month ago before I researched the heck out of it and talked to a few people I play games with online trying to OC Phenoms. Maybe its the motherboard shipping with a bunch of BS settings, however many a seasoned AMD and Intel overclocker were left scratching their heads after trying AMD's latest offering.

And now I have a Q6600 from the Dark Side... :rolleyes:

Well hopefully I keep being lucky then, I have my 9600BE at 2.75 Ghz and not a crash yet. The only issue I have had is coming out of standby. But reading ASUS forums, other people have had that issue with x2 processors and vista.

Ahhh, I see I see. So there is nothing I need to do for that to happen, right? The quad core just kicks in when more shit is running?

Not necessarily. Some games (such as Supreme Commander) can take advantage of all four cores at the same time, but it's still pretty rare. However, some companies like Valve are throwing an enormous amount of R&D into games that can make full use of multiple cores and we should be seeing the fruits of this R&D in the next generation of titles. Take a look at this benchmark as an example of a quad core being used in full for a particle engine:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14606/5

As for your purchase, I think that if you were really interested in gaming you would have been much better off with both a dual core processor and something made by Intel along the lines of an E8400. Your processor choice isn't terrible, but it's severely underpowered and although today's games tend to be much more GPU limited than CPU limited, this isn't going to hold for long and we're going to see games that are going to stress CPU power further and further.

And honestly, don't overclock a Phenom. It's just not worth it.

Not necessarily. Some games (such as Supreme Commander) can take advantage of all four cores at the same time, but it's still pretty rare. However, some companies like Valve are throwing an enormous amount of R&D into games that can make full use of multiple cores and we should be seeing the fruits of this R&D in the next generation of titles. Take a look at this benchmark as an example of a quad core being used in full for a particle engine:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14606/5

As for your purchase, I think that if you were really interested in gaming you would have been much better off with both a dual core processor and something made by Intel along the lines of an E8400. Your processor choice isn't terrible, but it's severely underpowered and although today's games tend to be much more GPU limited than CPU limited, this isn't going to hold for long and we're going to see games that are going to stress CPU power further and further.

And honestly, don't overclock a Phenom. It's just not worth it.

Thanks alot for your help. I really want to buy an intel CPU and mobo now, but I just spent money on this phenom :(

Thanks alot for your help. I really want to buy an intel CPU and mobo now, but I just spent money on this phenom :(

Cheer up. For most games your Phenom will be sufficient and honestly I wouldn't buy an Intel system right now either unless I really needed to upgrade. Intel is going to undergo a major platform shift at the end of this year which will require totally new chipsets, motherboards, sockets, etc. It's the biggest platform change they've had in a decade and despite the fact that current Intel processors are excellent, they are married to a platform that has no future.

If I were you, I'd hang on to the Phenom and wait it out until H1 of 2009. At that point you'll know if AMD has a decent competitor to Intel's Nehalem (the chances that they will are slim, but you never know) and if you do decide to move to Intel, that would be the time to do it.

I disagree, about waiting for the new change to come out if you really wat to upgrade. I was pro AMD since my 486 was around. I even bought into the whole phenom thing, but the instability of this particular chip drove me nuts. No matter what I did everytime I though something was stable poof gone in an instant. Then for some reason that same "stable" setting wouldnt work for a week. I have since moved on to a QX6700 and honestly can see a night and day difference. I even had my 9500 running side by side with my qx6700 at the same speed and it spanked it badly.

I sincerly hope that AMD comes out of the fog that they have been trying to navigate through these last years. I would love to switch back but it doesent make sense right now.

Cool, thanks. I just want the games I play to run off more cores. I'll check to see if any of my games I have do that.

Some of us have been playing SMP games ever since we bought Abit BP6s to play Quake 3. The game designers have been able to make their games run multiple processors for years, but until the last couple of years there has been really no reason to. Dual core changed all that. Knowing that most games take a couple of years to make, we should start seeing some exciting new games coming which can use all 4 of those cores.

Back